CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Garry Lyon just said On The Couch "I am told reliably that Yeo would have stayed at Brisbane for 250K but Brisbane refused to go over 225K" - Wow if true.

Garry Lyon just said On The Couch "I am told reliably that Yeo would have stayed at Brisbane for 250K but Brisbane refused to go over 225K" - Wow if true.
I got told we did everything we could to keep him, out of the go home 5. Not sure who to believe though

Garry Lyon said he has a reliable source that told him Yeo would have stayed in Brisbane for $250k but we wouldn't budge on our offer of $225k. Geez, that's a clanger from our previous footy department if true.

IIRC this rumour has been out there for a while.

IIRC this rumour has been out there for a while.

I'd never heard that specifically. I've read comments on here from people saying he was let down by the club in a few ways but never knew him leaving may have ultimately boiled down to a measly $25k.

If true I actually want to cry. Out of the GH5 he is by far the best. Him and Docherty were huge losses.

I can deal with Karnezis and Longer because they are no good.
I can deal with Docherty because he went home for the same reason Beams came here.
I can deal with Polec because of how soft he is and how punchable he looks

But not Yeo :'(

If true I actually want to cry. Out of the GH5 he is by far the best. Him and Docherty were huge losses.

As much as we lost out here, without them leaving theres no squizz, cutler, gardiner.. those guys have really shaped our club and are the first of a wave to say 'this is our club and we arnt leaving'

As much as we lost out here, without them leaving theres no squizz, cutler, gardiner.. those guys have really shaped our club and are the first of a wave to say 'this is our club and we arnt leaving'
I know, I remember all the trades.

Taylor for Yeo (pick 28). Lose
McStay for Longer (pick 25) Win
Paine for Karnezis. Draw
Cutler for Docherty (pick 33). Lose
Robertson (pick 34) + Gardiner (pick 21) for Polec and a pick. Win

Won 2, drew 1 and lost 2 IMO. As I said can deal with Docherty because it was for family reasons but would take Yeo every single day of the week ahead of Taylor. Lucky Taylor is still pretty good.

Paine for Karnezis. Draw

Won 2, drew 1 and lost 2 IMO. As I said can deal with Docherty because it was for family reasons but would take Yeo every single day of the week ahead of Taylor.

Cutler for Doc isn't a loss just yet. Doc still has to return from an ACL and Cutler is building in his career best form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paine for Karnezis. Draw

Won 2, drew 1 and lost 2 IMO. As I said can deal with Docherty because it was for family reasons but would take Yeo every single day of the week ahead of Taylor. Lucky Taylor is still pretty good.

Yeah we lost them all really because we were forced to drastically downgrade their networth so to come out of it as you have indicated above is prettt good. Lost out talent wise perhaps, but all great club man.

Paine for Karnezis. Draw

It's more or less even but it set us back 2 years

Further inspection reveals what we actually traded for Gardiner and Robertson was Polec and Rory Lobb (pick 29) so don't know if thats a win either. Basically I can't believe how badly the club was run a few years ago.

Garry Lyon said he has a reliable source that told him Yeo would have stayed in Brisbane for $250k but we wouldn't budge on our offer of $225k. Geez, that's a clanger from our previous footy department if true.
I struggle to believe that. It just doesn't pass muster unless you're pandering to the "crazy Brisbane" vibe.

I struggle to believe that. It just doesn't pass muster unless you're pandering to the "crazy Brisbane" vibe.
Sure it would be a combination of a few things. But if you're at a struggling club, who won't even pay you an extra 25k, when you're already a low earner at the club. What a fantastic reason, as if there already weren't enough at the time to get up and leave.

Maybe he would've left regardless, but its very plausible that Yeo feeling underpaid was the final straw. Eventually everything adds up, we'll probably never know but maybe he was 60:40 on staying and this is what broke the camels back.

Paine for Karnezis. Draw

When you put it that way, a draw is a good outcome.

When Five guys who you have invested significant capital in want out and you get anything
Like parity in return, you kave probably done oK.

It wasn’t money what a bs rumour. Yeo was left out in the cold badly by our welfare department.

He had some pretty shithouse things happen to him hear as well

$250K for a 2 year, 27 game player?
Are some confusing the 2013 Yeo for the 2017 version?
He was always going to be good, but $250k after 27 games? This was before the new pay agreements. The average in 2014 was $260K
Aside from the implausibility of that being the reason, (because yes, there were others), that figure sounds high for someone showing glimpses, in 2013.

Sure it would be a combination of a few things. But if you're at a struggling club, who won't even pay you an extra 25k, when you're already a low earner at the club. What a fantastic reason, as if there already weren't enough at the time to get up and leave.

Maybe he would've left regardless, but its very plausible that Yeo feeling underpaid was the final straw. Eventually everything adds up, we'll probably never know but maybe he was 60:40 on staying and this is what broke the camels back.

Oh, I'd understand Yeo leaving if it were true. I was looking at it from the POV of what the club would have done when thinking it doesn't pass muster. In a time where we were crap, and Leppitsch coming in was making very loud public noises about doing anything to retain at least three of the GH5 (Longer, Yeo, and Docherty), quibbling over that when the increase could have been made and Yeo announced as a big re-signing just doesn't add up (no pun intended). Check out this list - there's not a heap of players you'd want to pay at least 95% of your salary cap to - https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2013.html#19.

It wasn’t money what a bs rumour. Yeo was left out in the cold badly by our welfare department.

He had some pretty shithouse things happen to him hear as well

Was it essentially a similar situation to Schache except in this instance the club did nothing? whereas for Schache we did everything possible?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back