Garry Lyon & Tim Watson: "Carlton aren't a big four club anymore."

Who should take Carlton's place in the big four?

• West Coast

Votes: 121 23.7%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 30 5.9%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 267 52.3%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 28 5.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 23 4.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 27 5.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The big 4 in accounting changed over time and their measure are very similar to the big 4 in footy.

Sure footy was once a tribal game which valued tradition. It is now dynamic, fluid, responsive and change being proudly adopted.

Nothing is sacred and that includes the big 4. The title is earned through continuous effort, rather than relied upon by past performance. Otherwise qualify it by saying the traditional big VFL clubs.

Ok.

“Big 4 refers to the traditional big VFL clubs”

There, I said it.

Ok.

“Big 4 refers to the traditional big VFL clubs”

There, I said it.

Yep

Commentators should be careful to refer either the traditional big 4 VFL clubs and the modern big 4 AFL clubs (or big 3, big 6 etc). One seems to be agreed by all but the later is up for debate and may not be settled for another decade or two.

Yep

Commentators should be careful to refer either the traditional big 4 VFL clubs and the modern big 4 AFL clubs (or big 3, big 6 etc). One seems to be agreed by all but the later is up for debate and may not be settled for another decade or two.

Most of these idiot commentators are still wrapped up in outdated VFL legacy era thinking.

Big 4 is about brand strength, which is derived from commercial success, membership and support and enabled (in part) by on field success.

Right now the Big 4 would be (in no order): Adelaide, West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood.

Adelaide and WCE will almost always be top 4 from here on in. The dominant unity team in fanatical footy states. The other two spots will be filled by Victorian clubs. There are probably only five who can occupy the role: Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Geelong.

Essendon could easily replace Collingwood by end of next year if Collingwood has another mediocre year and Essendon make top 4 (expect Essendon to have a massive membership surge next year). Still question whether their Etihad tenancy means they'll slip in and out of the top 4.

Geelong are an interesting one. Basically catapulted into contention by good admin and massive state and federal government pork-barrelling to gain a sweetheart stadium deal. Not sure they can ever make top 4, but they're around the mark.

Carlton can make it back into the top 4. We're setting up very well on field for some long-term success that I think will see our membership build strongly over the next 5-7 years. We need more commercial success though (hence why Trigg lost his job), and we need to move fully to the MCG.

Just out of curiosity Tushay where would you fit the Hawks based on your criteria

"Big 4 is about brand strength, which is derived from commercial success, membership and support and enabled (in part) by on field success"

Just out of curiosity Tushay where would you fit the Hawks based on your criteria

"Big 4 is about brand strength, which is derived from commercial success, membership and support and enabled (in part) by on field success"

Fair enough, in the mix for those two Vic spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have won more premierships than any other AFL club bar Essendon. They're firmly entrenched in the 'Big 4' as are the other three teams.

West Coast :huh::'( Maybe in members but on field....Nah, Not even close.

I would say Geelong then the Dees

I'd say in terms of casual supporters West Coast might be even the biggest of all. I mean we have a city of 2 million split between two clubs, while Melbourne is a city of 4.6 million split between 9 clubs.

Just a historical Melbourne thing.

North, Hawthorn and Footscray were 1925 expansion clubs.

Geelong were a country club.

Fitzroy always struggled with support because they were sandwiched geographically by bigger clubs.

St Kilda and South Melbourne hugely unsuccessful on field.

Melbourne had a small, apathetic supporter base from outside the large working class and no geographic suburban area.

Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond were the bigger clubs, hence the big 4. That's all it is.
/thread, really...a year ago

Back