Opinion Garry Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

I found myself cheering for Geelong when they kicked a few goals at the end of the 2nd quarter purely because of my hatred for Gary.

Don't forget his giggles on the footy show when they vilified Nicky Winmar in front of him.
Also he had a go at Sydney Stack for hugging Eddie Betts, what a miserable bastard.
He's also 10 years behind the times .
I'm not saying he's a bully but he likes to be in charge of everything.
I also don't hold this against him but there was a lack of sensitivity when he asked Danny Frawley why he was 'up there sooking' when Danny started crying whilst giving a speech about Tony Lockett for the hall of fame or something.

Dude.

I think you’re a poster whose takes I may not totally agree with but would almost always respect where you’re coming from 99% of the time. :thumbsu:

However this statement you’ve made here is just not supported by evidence. Even avid MFC people don’t agree with this when threads involving this player have been created.

Now if you had written - ”Lyon is one of the better forwards in the history of the Demons” I think you’d be much closer to the truth.

FWIW IIRC Sheeds was once a little bit provocative implying that Garry Lyon was a little too arrogant when giving his thoughts on the game for a player who really wasn’t that spectacular.

3 x AA, 2 x VFL team of the year player, Victorian SOO captain & Melbourne team of the century

And from 28 on wards hardly played because of a debilitating back injury

He was an extremely good football player, you don't rack up those achievements if you are just a solid player

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

3 x AA, 2 x VFL team of the year player, Victorian SOO captain & Melbourne team of the century

He was an extremely good football player, you don't rack up those achievements if you are just a solid player

Extremely good football player?

The data contained in this link definitely does not support your POV -

Career average of 15.73 touches and 1.88 goals a game. That’s not very impressive IMO.

Managed to kick 6 or more just 8 times.

Had 27 or more touches also just 8 times.

That’s not elite.

How he made the 1995 AA team is one of the mysteries of the universe. He played FF and kicked 77 goals from twenty games. In that era that was a pathetic return. Sav Rocca kicked 96 that year IIRC and nobody thinks he was a great player. Lockett, Ablett (in his FF years) and Dunstall would have been in the 100s after twenty games. Ablett in 1993 would have been at 140 if he’d played twenty games.

IIRC Gary Ablett Snr kicked double figures more times against Melbourne alone than Garry Lyon did in his entire career.

Last edited:
He has always been pretty spot on with his comments on Melbourne, both positive and negative. Most of the rubbish you get in the media is from people who know far less about your own team than you do yourself.

He was always reluctant to get involved at the club, but ultimately was on the panel to select Mark Neeld as coach after what felt like years of prompting from Jim Stynes. That was an all time shocker for all involved.

Extremely good football player?

The data contained in this link definitely does not support your POV -https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/G/Garry_Lyon.html

Career average of 15.73 touches and 1.88 goals a game. That’s not very impressive IMO.

Managed to kick 6 or more just 8 times.

Had 27 or more touches also just 8 times.

That’s not elite.

How he made the 1995 AA team is one of the mysteries of the universe. He played FF and kicked 77 goals from twenty games. In that era that was a pathetic return. Sav Rocca kicked 96 that year IIRC and nobody thinks he was a great player. Lockett, Ablett (in his FF years) and Dunstall would have been in the 100s after twenty games. Ablett in 1993 would have been at 140 if he’d played twenty games.

IIRC Gary Ablett Snr kicked double figures more times against Melbourne alone than Garry Lyon did in his entire career.
He predominately played as a HFF'er who went back and had stints in the midfield. He was a bit like a James Hird type player although not quite as good. He wasn't a true FF like the three you names and to be fair not being as good as Ablett, Dunstall & Lockett doesn't mean you aren't still a ******* star

1993 rated number 3 in the top 50 by Sheehan and was favourite for the brownlow a year or two before that before being injured 3/4 way through the season

Facts are he was an extremely good footballer who was cut down a lot with injuries like say a Jonathon Brown (different style footballers)

The problem is dickheads look over statistics are try to use them as justification to mark down players from yester year. Imagine the fools looking up Cyril Riolis stats and trying to argue he wasn't much good or on the flip side looking up Tom Rockliffs stats and trying to argue he was one of the all time greats because he got lots of touches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's entitled to have some slack cut. We've all made mistakes. He has been (enviously) very complimentary of Richmond's achievements over the last few years; something that can't be said about that little garden gnome Cornes.

Garry Lyon is the appropriate face of the ex-player now passionate supporter of his team on the verge of ultimate success.

He’s a stain of a human.

Get with your best friends missus and then claim mental health to escape the criticism, then come back after just enough time hoping people will forget.

yeah he’s obviously very hopeful people forget that’s why he regularly references Nicky when he’s doing media.

******* hell if a famous AFL media figure forgot to put the seat down at a service station shitter someone on here would make a thread about it.

For Gary, love will find a way. Pussy more powerful than a pub full of mates. Not just him. I'd say there are plenty of folk with hidden, pleasure filled, secrets.

Pretty smart footballer, Gary, slick, knew where to be. Servicable.

Dees are playing BEAUTIFUL football. If it's enough for neutrals like me to be getting excited about, Gary will be gleeful.

I liked his post match interview with Big Max. He was fawning like a school kid with his hero. At his age. It was nice. It means a lot to a lot of people, including Gary.

Go Dees.

Dude.

I think you’re a poster whose takes I may not totally agree with but would almost always respect where you’re coming from 99% of the time. :thumbsu:

However this statement you’ve made here is just not supported by evidence. Even avid MFC people don’t agree with this when threads involving this player have been created.

Now if you had written - ”Lyon is one of the better forwards in the history of the Demons” I think you’d be much closer to the truth.

FWIW IIRC Sheeds was once a little bit provocative implying that Garry Lyon was a little too arrogant when giving his thoughts on the game for a player who really wasn’t that spectacular.

yeah you’re probably right there

93rd on the all time goals list.
426 goals/ 226 games

Although, Russell Robertson is 92nd on the list :think:
428 goals/ 228 games.

And Lou Richards 94th.
423 goals / 250 games.

Scott Morrison should hire whoever is in charge of Garry’s PR.

Let’s not get into the whole fiasco of a few years ago that was very well swept under the carpet.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Garry’s last act in any capacity working for Melbourne FC was to hire Mark Neeld as coach (in a director of football type role?) and then slowly walked away as the club moved about 4 years in the wrong direction.

Two years ago he was Melbourne’s biggest critic in his capacity as a football analyst. Questioning their culture and leadership.

Fast forward to 2021 and he is the biggest face outside the players and coach of the Dees premiership campaign.

Have I missed something here? PR team has done an unbelievable job here to make our Garry look very good…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Garry lyon engaged in an affair. immoral, but ultimately a personal and trivial (to the wider public) issue.

Morrison swept rape in parliament under the carpet and effectively tried to silence the victim while then publicly announcing that he didnt see the problem with that until his daughters told him why. along with holidaying during national emergencies, causing the delay of the vaccine program by months if not a year due to mismanagement and penny pinching, giving himself exemptions to travel during the pandemic for trivial non-work related reasons.

but yeah, totes the same.

Yeah, he has a tendency to distance himself and criticise from far when times are bad and join in the celebrations when times are good. But you know what, I've actually enjoyed seeing his passion for his old club this year, it comes across as a lot more genuine then when he was trying to act like he was impartial.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back