Prediction Garthy vs Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Garth like a poor mans grimesy, I worry where he’s at that said the only times we saw him we were 1-2 qty defenders down so he had to punch above his weight. His agility ain’t great , wrong footed by big hulking opponents that shouldn’t wrong foot anybody eg hawkins, Jenkins . Could still forge a career if he managed to play within his limitations and develop strengths , EG Broady
Balta has has shown all the traits , pace , agility , can take a grab and take on the game , next challenge is to thread much of this together within a game rather than a bit here and there . I reckon he can

Garth 9 games in 3 years is not a good sign, make or break in 2020
Balta has height and athleticism, so can play the key position against tall and medium forwards down the track. Garth has good aerobic ability and can cover the ground, but is more your Broad type without the speed and athleticism. Is strong enough but not quite tall enough.

Balta has height and athleticism, so can play the key position against tall and medium forwards down the track. Garth has good aerobic ability and can cover the ground, but is more your Broad type without the speed and athleticism. Is strong enough but not quite tall enough.

a lot of our success has had to do with our speed (I think), not much going for Garth on the footy field in comparison to other selections but as always happy to be proven wrong by anyone who puts on a tiger jumper

Garthy maybe as a broad type. Balta to claim the crown.

That is true, and he also goes harder than Balta. But Garthy is slow and his awkward ball ball drop means he needs that extra second to kick the ball.
I do like those pointy knees and elbows going into 1v1’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Garthwaite I just don't see a player with any outstanding footballing attributes. Doesn't slay it in the lower tier. Might be okay for some cheap depth but I won't be pinning my hopes on him.
Balta is a freak athletic specimen but honestly who knows? You can see a bit of a young Buddy in him sometimes and others he's a headless chook. With his raw talent you'd have to back him over Garth.

Garth has already shown he can do the job at AFL level. He is well capable of stopping a modest sized KPF (up to 195cm, 94kg). He is young and presumably still building his body (he's not a monster like Balta at 19). Great endurance and grit - goes hard. He'll improve. Good skills, if a bit weird looking. When he faced genuine monster KPFs he got monstered. Time might help. But I suspect he is the sort that will deal with medium forwards, and the non-monster KPFs. So very good talent, but limited. Probably can't play on the top tier and appears to have naturally limited rebound skills (he ain't Bachar or Rance). But he's solid in his skills.

Balta is a super talent, athletically, in size, and in certain amazing skills. He's not an endurance player. Right now he's a bit player at AFL level. He has the tools to be very good. But if he cannot improve his fitness he'll never be a KPB. Needs to work hard. From what I've seen his game smarts of OK, but not great. However the club has said he sees the game very well. So with what they've said and we've seen Balta can pay on the monsters and can rebound in an incredible way. However we have never seen him stop an AFL KPF. He is not in 2020 contention to be a genuine AFL KPB unless his endurance/repeat efforts have improve greatly.

So assuming they both develop to their capability.

Garth = good stopper of all but monster forwards. Good rebound if given space and time. Excellent player in our system. But not a key piece. {Very close to genuine AFL KPD)

Balta = Capable defender against all KPFs. Able to rebound in a way that is extraordinary. (Long way to go to be a genuine AFL KPD)

TLDR: Garth is much closer to AFL quality, but Balta has a much higher ceiling.

One of my memories of Garth is of him plodding in Jeremy Cameron's wake in a match against GWS. I don't know whether he was coping with injuries at the time but Cameron burst away like Warnie wanting the last jar of peanut butter. Garth seems like a great team man but with limited skills, moderate height and speed issues, I can't see him going any further.

At the moment, I'm not convinced about either to be honest. Garthwaite seems undersized and slow - not just slow in running, but also his reactions - he just seems to be caught out a bit in the wrong position. And his kkicking is a worry. Balta is, as everyone agrees, a physical specimen - but, to use the John Kennedy-ism when talking about the 10 most important Draft Camp physical measurements - 'what about Number 11 - Can he play football?'.

Give Balta a free run at the ball - let him run jump and kick - great. Can he keep an opponent quiet? Can he play a zone defence? Can he lead to space effectively? At the moment he plays like the biggest, fastest kid in the playground - which is exciting, promising, etc.

PS - I'm giving Balta at least 3 more years to learn how to play the game. You don't pass up that level of athleticism because he cant do all the 1%ers at age 20.

Balta has further to go, Garth is currently more ready and reliable amd safe, but if Balta does get to his potential he far exceeds Garthwaite, so if we are in a good position to carry Balta and prepared to take the bad with the good, he is the closest thing to being able to become an AA quality KPD and if it works, theres our CHB for the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back