Prediction Garthy vs Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m glad a worthy thread has finally surfaced since our tremendous achievement of last September, as it’s got my nose out of Craig Castree’s book on A Practical Guide to Edible Gardens.
My opinion on Garthwaite is that in order to learn to be a true defender he needs to play a bit more forward in the VFL. His aerobic capacity isn’t as good as people are saying and I think it would improve more with more match day short sprints as a forward. It would also help his attacking game as a defender. He to me , even at VFL level looks too restricted and unnatural and he needs to break the shackles and free up more. I’m still not giving up on him until I see him apply these changes to his game.
Balta on the other hand needs to play more defence and learn this art so that he can add more weapons to his attacking game. Ablett Senior,Carey and Buddy all had physical aggressive defensive skills that not only crippled their opponents, but introduced their own teammates into the game as dangerous options. He’s young and as Leppa told me 18 months ago he’s got so much natural ability he can play anywhere. It’s more time and growth with him.
Comparisons with Garthwaite are being harsh as I can’t see them playing in the same area of the ground in the long term. Balta could easily play 150 games like Colin Sylvia on just natural ability, but getting him to a Kouta or Ablett Sr superstar level is up to where he wants to take himself to by doing hard work and having the right mental application.
Wheras Garth will do probably more work than Balta will ever do and fight to earn everyone of his game.

Last edited:
Cant see Garthwaite at this stage making it.

Has never for me projected fwd as a genuine AFL KPD. Work rate and desperation can only take you so far.

Still looks undersized is not the quickest or most athletic bloke going around.

I start with what attributes does he have that suggest he can play kpp at afl level and i cannot find too many.

The next question is what attributes does he need to play on third tall types.
Maybe the answer is to play him as a fwd.

a Rance reversal in the making

I’m glad a worthy thread has finally surfaced since our tremendous achievement of last September, as it’s got my nose out of Craig Castree’s book on A Practical Guide to Edible Gardens.
My opinion on Garthwaite is that in order to learn to be a true defender he needs to play a bit more forward in the VFL. His aerobic capacity isn’t as good as people are saying and I think it would improve more with more match day short sprints as a forward. It would also help his attacking game as a defender. He to me , even at VFL level looks too restricted and unnatural and he needs to break the shackles and free up more. I’m still not giving up on him until I see him apply these changes to his game.
Balta on the other hand needs to play more defence and learn this art so that he can add more weapons to his attacking game. Ablett Senior,Carey and Buddy all had physical aggressive defensive skills that not only crippled their opponents, but introduced their own teammates into the game as dangerous options. He’s young and as Leppa told me 18 months ago he’s got so much natural ability he can play anywhere. It’s more time and growth with him.
Comparisons with Garthwaite are being harsh as I can’t see them playing in the same area of the ground in the long term. Balta could easily play 150 games like Colin Sylvia on just natural ability, but getting him to a Kouta or Ablett Sr superstar level is up to where he wants to take himself to by doing hard work and having the right mental application.
Wheras Garth will do probably more work than Balta will ever do and fight to earn everyone of his game.

Agree with embolded comment. It strikes me as odd to even start comparing them. The closest we will get is they may well wear a Richmond jumper at the same time and play in the same backline at times - that's as close as they get.

The basis for a comparison is more to do with the fact that they are our 2 viable KPD options to replace Rance in the short term.
They are very different players which is why the op poses the question as to which way you would lean philosophically in replacing Rance in 2020

I'm talking of a similar player to Tom Lynch, except KPD. Top end guy to take that key position spot for the next 5+ years. We'll have $, and a need.
Tommys ex team mate might be available end of year depending on form and injury
Same height as Tom, a few kilos lighter, and 18 months older

2 totally different players but both have claims to be part of the 22 long term as replacements for Rance & Astbury

Balta is the dynamic athletic physical specimen, but as raw as a new born colt in terms of understanding the nuances of playing KPD. Still needed lots of guidance from teammates in terms of where he needs to be in structures and when he should and shouldn't be taking the risk of running off and counter attacking. Pretty much a clone of early years Rance.

Garthwaite on the other hand is a dour defender who plays to his abilities/strengths, but needs to develop a little more of an attacking side to truly fit into the way we play as a unit at AFL level. Hopefully another summer in the gym adding some size/strength to his frame will allow him to better handle stronger bigger bodies at AFL level. Already plays as an organiser at VFL level where he takes responsibility for setting up the defensive structures so clearly has a good footballing brain.

2 totally different players but both have claims to be part of the 22 long term as replacements for Rance & Astbury

Balta is the dynamic athletic physical specimen, but as raw as a new born colt in terms of understanding the nuances of playing KPD. Still needed lots of

Nothing wrong with that , Kid is only 20 years old

Not many 20 year old kpp that have done what he has so far , Only way is up
Noah Balta is a player thats capable of tearing games apart and if we were not as good a team with all the guns in there he would be playing every week as Richo / Jack did when they arrived.

Nothing wrong with that , Kid is only 20 years old

Not many 20 year old kpp that have done what he has so far , Only way is up
Noah Balta is a player thats capable of tearing games apart and if we were not as good a team with all the guns in there he would be playing every week as Richo / Jack did when they arrived.
Agree nothing wrong with it, but in our system based game he needs to become more controlled and I think that is why he was sent back in the second half of the year to develop that part of his game. Once he learns how to harness his enthusiasm he'll become more of a complete player and weapon. No point having him running off and taking the game on and leaving his opponent unguarded to then be left to hurt on the rebound.

Agree nothing wrong with it, but in our system based game he needs to become more controlled and I think that is why he was sent back in the second half of the year to develop that part of his game. Once he learns how to harness his enthusiasm he'll become more of a complete player and weapon. No point having him running off and taking the game on and leaving his opponent unguarded to then be left to hurt on the rebound.
These guys do take time but i dont see alot wrong with what he does, I love the way he backs himself and is just so explosive in what he does
Once he matures and gets fitter and more educated in how we need him to play he will become a major weapon over the ground.

Balta , Bolton , Stack , RCD are all very exciting kids with massive X-Factor that will thrill alot of tiger fans in years to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slightly disappointed with where Balta appears to be with his development as a key defender. Little doubt he has the physical tools, just appears to get lost in 2 v 2 or more type contests, one on ones as well. Like others I am doubting he is cut out for key defence due to his lack of understanding of how to position himself to his team’s best advantage. However, it is his first effort in a full backline with opposition from another club and the coaches can hopefully go to college on him and get him learning quickly. At this stage I doubt he gets wheeled out as a key defender in big games. Garthwaite I think you know what you get with him, but he won’t be any world beater, just an honest type who as his confidence at this level grows should be able to do a reasonable job. I do expect Garth to be a lot more competitive at AFL level this term with a full pre season. Could be as little as an injury away from needing to play key position for us in a final this bloke.

Still unsure of why we waste balta in the backline. Hasn't got the smarts for a defender.
He will cost us goals with his decision making.
Garthwaite is exactly what grimes used to be. A dour defender who kills the contest and doesn't care about racking up stats.
Chalk and cheese comparing these two

1st game of the year and people are writing him off. The reason I imagine he is being played in defence is because he is our only tall player other than Astbury. 193cm is not big enough to play on the ever growing amount of 2m tall forwards out there. I didn't see the game but the way people have talked up his battle with Cox I thought Cox must have kicked a bag, 1 goal. Cox has hammered us before and is 211cm tall. I read criticism on the board about his body positioning and how Cox got him. Well I just watched one effort on the highlights and Balta beat him one on one the first time, and every forward in the league would have marked that second one as the ball kept going and Cox marked it backpeddling, the perfect kick.

Chol has absolutely no second effort and is pretty average at ground level. Garth whilst a good player is not tall enough and Balta has played 5 minutes of AFL footy. Line him up there next week in a good side and see how he goes.

Collingwood were in their third match and Richmond their first, big advantage.

1st game of the year and people are writing him off. The reason I imagine he is being played in defence is because he is our only tall player other than Astbury. 193cm is not big enough to play on the ever growing amount of 2m tall forwards out there. I didn't see the game but the way people have talked up his battle with Cox I thought Cox must have kicked a bag, 1 goal. Cox has hammered us before and is 211cm tall. I read criticism on the board about his body positioning and how Cox got him. Well I just watched one effort on the highlights and Balta beat him one on one the first time, and every forward in the league would have marked that second one as the ball kept going and Cox marked it backpeddling, the perfect kick.

Chol has absolutely no second effort and is pretty average at ground level. Garth whilst a good player is not tall enough and Balta has played 5 minutes of AFL footy. Line him up there next week in a good side and see how he goes.

Collingwood were in their third match and Richmond their first, big advantage.

Agree one swallow not a summer maketh. And not every team has a big lump of pelican poop by the name of Cox. I'm confident Balta was there for Cox primarily, and whilst he had his hands full and lost a few of the body to body contests, he wasn't a fail either. I'd say the experience was great for him, and he will reviewing the vision of the game during week with the defensive coach - it's all good development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back