AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Still a ******* sick operator.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Never get sick of his highlights. Leave him close to goal, high hf 30m-40m out. The linkman or the finisher

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep, those highlights have confirmed for me that he should be spending most of his time forward next year. He's just so clever/classy around goals and we've got plenty of options to run through the middle.

bigfarter

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel like I read this year that Gary wanted to play midfield and was resistant to playing as a permanent forward - though that could be/is probably just baseless conjecture? The call should be made, however. He's so dangerous delivering the ball inside 50 and defenders will be nervous whenever he's close to goal. He'd also have to worry less about running both ways if he's one of the nearest to goal, which may help hide one of his (rare) weaknesses. The bonus being it could prolong his career as he shouldn't be banging in under too many packs at this stage of the game. Hopefully he and/or the club can see it's the best move. Let guys like Duncan, Kelly and Parfitt take more ownership in the middle.

And the highlights are great. I have my fair share of issues with the way he conducted himself leaving the club and I have no great love for the Ablett name in general but despite my cynicism, some of his running goals this year felt genuinely romantic in the sporting sense.

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
So 2 minutes and 37 seconds of highlights for the year and everyone's brimming with excitement. The guy didn't even make top 10 in our BF, he's slow, he hardly tackles and if his name wasn't GAJ he wouldn't be at the club. He's taking up a list spot that could be used for a kid who could help us in the future, bloody club and their love affair isn't really doing us any favours.

So 2 minutes and 37 seconds of highlights for the year and everyone's brimming with excitement. The guy didn't even make top 10 in our BF, he's slow, he hardly tackles and if his name wasn't GAJ he wouldn't be at the club. He's taking up a list spot that could be used for a kid who could help us in the future, bloody club and their love affair isn't really doing us any favours.

There's only so many kids we can play though or we end up like Carlton or Gold Coast playing an U/19's squad every week. And the experience he would be bringing to the group would be incredible for the younger players

Also, I couldn't see any of our younger players keeping us in matches like he did this year when the rest of the team was falling apart around him (Round 21 vs Hawthorn)

ATSAM

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Can do a bit better for a highlights package than just tackles cant you?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Not a lot of defensive pressure in kicking those goals, just kicking goals, something that we were desperately short of and now in an even worse situation with no Daniel.
Sometimes we just have to be 'offensive' and kick the bloody goal. And Ablett at 34 is still better than Dangerfield at his current age. Because he does kick goals.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
We were a much worse off side losing ablett. It was brilliant coaching by Scott to steer the ship losing ablett which hurt us badly.
We were a better off side without Ablett, the resulting 2011 flag proved it! Look at how the Ablett factor messed up GCS! IMO Ablett didn't do the team structure things and just chased the ball and ran forward for goals! ...You rarely see Ablett over his career chase down his opponent!

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
We were a better off side without Ablett, the resulting 2011 flag proved it! Look at how the Ablett factor messed up GCS! IMO Ablett didn't do the team structure things and just chased the ball and ran forward for goals! ...You rarely see Ablett over his career chase down his opponent!
He must be chasing down someone's opponent, he gets more tackles than Corey, Ling, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Judd, just to name a few.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
You cannot be cereal.;)

Last edited:

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You had to go back 21 years to find me a similar example, back to days when footy was amateurs also and non professionals.

Point proven really just how amazing a feature it is what he did.

Ablett kicked something like 40 odd goals that year if I recall correct and also was BOG by far playing as a midfielder for us in the preliminary final.

We were a much worse off side losing ablett. It was brilliant coaching by Scott to steer the ship losing ablett which hurt us badly.
Ablett's a selfish little faark, he's one of the reasons we performed so badly in the 2010 prelim. All he had in his mind was the cash he was going to fleece from the Gold Coast Suns, so him leaving worked to our advantage and it's no coincidence now that he's back our centre work isn't up to scratch.

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There's only so many kids we can play though or we end up like Carlton or Gold Coast playing an U/19's squad every week. And the experience he would be bringing to the group would be incredible for the younger players

Also, I couldn't see any of our younger players keeping us in matches like he did this year when the rest of the team was falling apart around him (Round 21 vs Hawthorn)
So now we'll be on Carlton & Gold Coast level if we play an extra kid? Sure mate whatever you say.

And of course you can't see any youngster keeping us in games, their not experienced enough cause of Gary but give someone like Parfitt a year or two experience in the guts and you'll see him keeping us in matches.

JumpyHolden

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps I wasn't clear. Not a lot of defensive pressure in kicking those goals, just kicking goals, something that we were desperately short of and now in an even worse situation with no Daniel.
Sometimes we just have to be 'offensive' and kick the bloody goal. And Ablett at 34 is still better than Dangerfield at his current age. Because he does kick goals.
You're still not clear, Ablett doesn't even average a goal per game, Danger does.

That's for the past season.

Man0gwaR74

All Australian
Oct 6, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
He must be chasing down someone's opponent, he gets more tackles than Corey, Ling, Dangerfield, Fyfe, Judd, just to name a few.
he tackles players that have his precious pill but that is only on the ball! You won't see an Ablett on the highlights reel where he runs the full length of the field just for team accountability and a possible tackle!

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Ablett's a selfish little faark, he's one of the reasons we performed so badly in the 2010 prelim. All he had in his mind was the cash he was going to fleece from the Gold Coast Suns, so him leaving worked to our advantage and it's no coincidence now that he's back our centre work isn't up to scratch.
Lol- If cash-fleecing was all he had his mind in that night, then we must find another benefactor to dangle some more dough, so he can play like that again!

Back