Universal Love Gary Ablett - 350 games for the Little Master

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
And yet almost every single Geelong supporter except you seems to manage it. 🤔
the majoirty and smartist people often disagree. Group think doesn’t make you right.

No doubt there'll be complaints in 5 years time when Ablett becomes eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame and he will no doubt be inducted at the first or second opportunity

And then there'll be further complaints when he is then inducted as a legend sometime down the track
only A moron would begrudge him a spot in our hall of fame. He is in the top 3 players in our clubs history despite the idiot geelong historian who didn’t put him in our top 10 a few years ago.

that doesn’t mean you should have universal love. many people dont forgive a partner who cheats on them. Especially for a 7 year period during their best years. It wasn’t a one off fling.

oh don’t be ridiculous it’s only sport it’s not the same as a spouse cheating on you.

Well if it’s only game then why the hell are we using the term universal love ffs.

Last edited:
Well if it’s only game then why the hell are using the term universal love ffs.

Universal Love because there's no thread tag for "Loved by the vast majority just the odd few that don't"

Besides, looking at those who have posted comments within this thread and across various other Ablett threads from the past 12 months (such as his retirement thread), the positiveness, supportive comments and admiration shown have come from more than just Geelong supporters, with supports from other teams showing their respect for him, which would suggest that there is a universality in the love that's shown for Ablett and that it's not limited to just Geelong supporters

I'm happy to say it's an apt tag for this thread

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Universal Love because there's no thread tag for "Loved by the vast majority just the odd few that don't"

Besides, looking at those who have posted comments within this thread and across various other Ablett threads from the past 12 months (such as his retirement thread), the positiveness, supportive comments and admiration shown have come from more than just Geelong supporters, with supports from other teams showing their respect for him, which would suggest that there is a universality in the love that's shown for Ablett and that it's not limited to just Geelong supporters

I'm happy to say it's an apt tag for this thread
in terms of his playing achievements and the way he went about it on the field I agree. (Although plenty don’t but that’s not me). Opposition supporters don’t care which club he played for.

as a Geelong supporter who focuses a little less on achievement and more on commitment to the club and effort put in it is however different.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Like I find with so many of the viewpoints expressed around here, I don't see the need to be 'all in' on either side of the opposing perspectives.

I was both tremendously disappointed when Gaz left, and (eventually) very grateful that he came back. I do wish he'd been able to tell the truth about the breadth of his actual reasons for leaving. But he's far from Robinson Crusoe across the game in telling a pretty story to obscure the more telling reasons behind any given decision.

I wasn't fussed about his coming back in the first place. Mostly just because I thought his body wasn't going to hold up. But he ended up playing some really good footy, built some solid foundations for the younger players coming through, and provided us with more than a few highlights along the way.

It was sad (but true to footy's occasionally obtuse narrative) to see it all come to a close in such a shattering fashion in the GF. But I'll put my hand up as one who looks back now and is delighted he started and finished with us, and can live with the years away as a time when he did prove what a champion player he was in a new and refreshing way.

And he's also gone up in my estimation in seeing how he's dealing with bringing up his beautiful son in such difficult circumstances. Whatever I think about his decision to go and play with the Suns, how his life now is lived around caring in the best way he can for both Jordan and Levi is truly the mark of the man.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Like I find with so many of the viewpoints expressed around here, I don't see the need to be 'all in' on either side of the opposing perspectives.

I was both tremendously disappointed when Gaz left, and (eventually) very grateful that he came back. I do wish he'd been able to tell the truth about the breadth of his actual reasons for leaving. But he's far from Robinson Crusoe across the game in telling a pretty story to obscure the more telling reasons behind any given decision.

I wasn't fussed about his coming back in the first place. Mostly just because I thought his body wasn't going to hold up. But he ended up playing some really good footy, built some solid foundations for the younger players coming through, and provided us with more than a few highlights along the way.

It was sad (but true to footy's occasionally obtuse narrative) to see it all come to a close in such a shattering fashion in the GF. But I'll put my hand up as one who looks back now and is delighted he started and finished with us, and can live with the years away as a time when he did prove what a champion player he was in a new and refreshing way.

And he's also gone up in my estimation in seeing how he's dealing with bringing up his beautiful son in such difficult circumstances. Whatever I think about his decision to go and play with the Suns, how his life now is lived around caring in the best way he can for both Jordan and Levi is truly the mark of the man.
That’s pretty much my view. I was glad he came back.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
The majority of people on a topic aren’t educated in it. The educated make up a small percentage. Sometimes that small percentage of educated people disagree with the majority.

this is getting off topic now. ps. It’s not a hard concept to understand.

Thanks for working so assiduously to miss the point. I was simply noting that neither 'smartist' nor 'theoritcal' are actual words.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Here’s a tough question.

what was Gary Ablett greatest season?

i kind of think 2010. Yet he didn’t win one of his 5 mvps that year.
2013 and half of 2014 before he got injured was his best.
His best for us was probs 2010 & 2008
IMO.

Fair enough. Just my opinion i had from watching him and his impact.
2014 he looked like he was single handedly taking that team to the finals

22 Brownlow votes from 15 games - he doesn't get injured he would have won the Brownlow by a record margin

As it was, he finished equal 3rd in counting and only finished behind Fyfe 25 & Priddis 26 votes

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
No doubt there'll be complaints in 5 years time when Ablett becomes eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame and he will no doubt be inducted at the first or second opportunity

And then there'll be further complaints when he is then inducted as a legend sometime down the track
If his old mans not inducted by then he will decline.Book mark it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
22 Brownlow votes from 15 games - he doesn't get injured he would have won the Brownlow by a record margin

As it was, he finished equal 3rd in counting and only finished behind Fyfe 25 & Priddis 26 votes
Actually if you extrapolate foward and assume 22 games he would get between 32 and 33 votes. A good haul but not a record. Didnt danger in 2017 get more then that in less then 22 games and he didnt even win the brownlow?

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually if you extrapolate foward and assume 22 games he would get between 32 and 33 votes. A good haul but not a record. Didnt danger in 2017 get more then that in less then 22 games and he didnt even win the brownlow?
I think she meant won by a record margin. Cause Priddis only got 26. I think.
Danger 2016/17 is a bit like Gaz 2013/14. Carried the team. Always going to get a ton of votes.
Gaz a bit better for mine. Well better to watch anyway cause of better skills and vision.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I reckon Dust got mid 30s a couple of years back.

Back