Toast Gary Ablett Jnr - 200 games for Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know, I just don't know. Having a change of coach was, by all accounts, a big help - just in terms of that reinvigoration. That would have happened regardless, I think.
I don’t think it would have spurred the players enough had he stayed, remember the media said Geelong was finished after losing Thompson AND Ablett, and 2011 was almost a formality for the pies. Scott came in and said he made adjustments to the plan which were evident in that Geelong had no players in the top 10 for disposals in that year, which contrasted the previous year when there was 3, and Bartel at 12.

Is as good a thread as any to post this in, but I had reservations about Gaz forward, particularly his willingness to get his hands dirty and his lack of wanting to mark overhead.. His JLT game I wasn't impressed with but figured he would maybe hurt sides with limited touches.

Have to say he blew me away on the weekend, the prospect of him up forward really is mouth watering, he's a step ahead of the game, he doesn't waste the ball and he seems to have brought in to the pressure side more as well... Off what is of course an exceptionally small sample size.

I really am looking forward to watching how it develops over the season... He'll put the fear of his father into small defenders.. The added bonuses are the space he'll give Hawk and co.. And the fact he'll give them silver service when he gets the ball and move them to where he wants them to go

he looked as fit as he had for some time.. the second Ps back at Geelong and it sort of looks like his body might be holding up. The hip and shoulder he did was not the hit of someone who did not trust his body.

Last edited:
Is as good a thread as any to post this in, but I had reservations about Gaz forward, particularly his willingness to get his hands dirty and his lack of wanting to mark overhead.. His JLT game I wasn't impressed with but figured he would maybe hurt sides with limited touches.

Have to say he blew me away on the weekend, the prospect of him up forward really is mouth watering, he's a step ahead of the game, he doesn't waste the ball and he seems to have brought in to the pressure side more as well... Off what is of course an exceptionally small sample size.

I really am looking forward to watching how it develops over the season... He'll put the fear of his father into small defenders.. The added bonuses are the space he'll give Hawk and co.. And the fact he'll give them silver service when he gets the ball and move them to where he wants them to go
Plus he's a bit angry in a good way down there. :)

Great post.
Anybody think or feel or hope he has a rest this week, as management, given his history, age, 5 days, travel, or no way?

Well his game time isn't as demanding as it once was, and it's a short flight...... Better to play him and keep him 'warm' I reckon
Maybe. Warm it will be there. To me, ideal timing for a well deserved break. I wouldn't mind if he didn't go interstate at all.

Scott said this coming game has been extensively planned.
"It's a very real possibility that the team that played tonight won't play next week, and that won't necessarily be a reflection of form and, again, a lot of planning has gone into it," Scott said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of interesting quotes from Ando's piece in today's Herald Sun.

JA: Will you go into detail about your move to the Gold Coast?

GA: Definitely. In fact I have never told this story before but when I had made my decision to go to the Gold Coast and had signed the contract, about a week later I actually called up my manager Liam Pickering and asked was there any way I could get out of the contract? I was pretty emotional at the time, the thought of moving away from my family and a football club I had supported my whole life. In the end I’m glad I made the decision to go because it helped me grow as a person and a leader. To take myself out of my comfort zone and challenge myself.

Perhaps, maybe, possibly, could be his last year should we grab a flag. Although footy is his life.

JA: Are the body and mind up for another year?

GA: Right now physically I could probably go another year but I have been in the game for 18 years which is a long time. I have to work out mentally if I could jump into another pre-season but the goal has always been to come back to Geelong and win a Premiership and hopefully we can do that this year.

A couple of interesting quotes from Ando's piece in today's Herald Sun.

Perhaps, maybe, possibly, could be his last year should we grab a flag. Although footy is his life.

I think the first quote was well know around the place, he tried twice to back out IIRC.
On the second, atleast we know he will give it absolutely everything come finals, and he's still up for it (maybe unlike Joel he looks almost cooked), so if we have half a team whose throwing EVERYTHING they have at the flag (and bringing along the rest of the team) then I like our chances.
We know Danger is hurting, we know Joel, Harry, Gaz, Hawkins and a few others probably see this as their last chance and we have a good half dozen players looking for finals redemption.... could be an interesting time ahead.

Not sure what you mean by that comment re Mrs Ablett. If you don't agree with her comments fine but you don't have to use language that is nasty and sexist.
Whoosh.
Everyone else got it but you

Not sure what you mean by that comment re Mrs Ablett. If you don't agree with her comments fine but you don't have to use language that is nasty and sexist.
He was just having a crack at the ridiculous headline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back