Universal Love Gary Ablett Jnr - 300 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive seen both... and GAJ is just brilliant....

GAS has him covered.

An entirely different breed. Not a slight on GAJ, more applause for GAS.

GO Catters

Agreed!

Well before his time in terms of flexibility. Was able to dominate wherever he was played. Wing, pivot, key back, key forward...... To purloin a McAvaneyism, he was "special"

GA Snr is without doubt, the greatest player I have seen ...and I've seen a fair few. Nakia's choice of video is top drawer....and thats just a taste of what he did. Bobby (God bless him) did some wonderful work that showed hours (and I mean hours) of Senior's exploits and talent....not sure if its still on YouTube....think he loaded them under his "Footsore" Pseudonym.....it is the most complete collection of Snr's football carer you will ever see.

Junior is a wonderful player who deserves the recognition he gets as a footballer....but he's not up there with his father.

GA Snr is without doubt, the greatest player I have seen ...and I've seen a fair few. Nakia's choice of video is top drawer....and thats just a taste of what he did. Bobby (God bless him) did some wonderful work that showed hours (and I mean hours) of Senior's exploits and talent....not sure if its still on YouTube....think he loaded them under his "Footsore" Pseudonym.....it is the most complete collection of Snr's football carer you will ever see.

Junior is a wonderful player who deserves the recognition he gets as a footballer....but he's not up there with his father.

The Great Man (GOD) GA is the the best player to ever play the game. There's no doubting that if he played his career as a midfielder, he would have been just as damaging in there than what GA Jnr is.

It's a hard task to follow GAS - and while I've posted about him you can't ignore the brilliance of GAJ.

He's been, and on slightly fewer occasions of late, his own kind of elite player in the game. 300 games is a massive credit to him - nearly all of them above the average players wildest dreams.

Will go down as Icon of the game and will be adorned with Legend staus like Blighty soon enough.

Go Catters

I hated it... it was the last time I really felt sick in the guts at the footy. It had that vibe all night that another heartbreak story was about be written
I was there with a Collingwood supporter who conceded Geelong had to win or he would have had a coronary on his hands. "More than sick"

I had a PM from Bobby not long back,he's doing it a bit tough and had his whole Ablett collection up for sale.A real Jeckle and Hyde our Bobby, when on his game he contributed some wonderful stuff to this board,his videos in particular were top draw.

I had a PM from Bobby not long back,he's doing it a bit tough and had his whole Ablett collection up for sale.A real Jeckle and Hyde our Bobby, when on his game he contributed some wonderful stuff to this board,his videos in particular were top draw.
I think vinum mentioned back in the day that we should be coughing up money for the videos Bobby produced...reckon if he threw up some sort of crowdfunding effort for vids he might find a bit of love.

I don't believe in God, but this video is starting to sway me.
I think the thing about those videos, especially for those of us too young to remember his real prime, is they give a sense of what a dominant athlete he was. It's not that he is vastly quicker than everyone else all the time but hits contests so much harder and faster than those around him.

Also, subtle signs of how footy is changed - that goal where he flattens Worsfold then runs into the square, I instinctively was expecting him to banana it on his right but instead he put it on his left. Not sure many players would do that anymore.

Watch this;

Thanks for posting that.+ he as extraordinary and for those of us who could watch the magic week after week were so lucky. He had every skill required including that need to get the ball more than to get his next breath. And all of that with hardly any training!

I love what Bomber said tonight.
GAJ should go to Geelong and finish off his career kicking 100 goals a year at FF, and play 400 games. He really wants to see that.
And that the AFL should give dual legend status to GAS and GAJ on the same night. Now that would be orgasmic.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GAS should go to Geelong and finish off his career kicking 100 goals a year at FF, and play 400 games. He really wants to see that.
And that the AFL should give dual legend status to GAS and GAJ on the same night. Now that would be orgasmic.
Bit old now isn't he? He'd be what, 50 odd?

Dont give him any money.

I already have. And after 2 years received nothing for it.

Just ask him. I ve got nothing to hide.

And I gave him $500.00 to preserve the collection for the board.

I have PM's and emails from the day it started 2 years ago as evidence.

Now he's ducking my emails.

Dont feel sorry for him. He's just a thief.

And yes, he added a great deal to the board with his content. I have no issues with any of that. And I felt that I could help him so I tried with that arrangement. Got burned.

Go Catters

Dont give him any money.

And yes, he added a great deal to the board with his content. I have no issues with any of that. And I felt that I could help him so I tried with that arrangement. Got burned.

Go Catters
Wow!

What guise is he posting under now?

Last edited:
Dont give him any money.

Go Catters
At least you can sleep at night. Thats some serious generosity.

At least you can sleep at night. Thats some serious generosity.
I sat quiet about it for 2 years. Didnt bring it up - didnt bag him.

I have only mentioned it now as I dont want others to befall the safe fate I did.

And if he squares the ledger via full refund or delivering as promised, then i'll post that all is good.

IMO it was the same as me buying sponsorships for posters that were not in a position to do so at varying times. Just doing things for others that would have otherwise missed it.

Go Catters

I have only mentioned it now as I dont want others to befall the safe fate I did.

And if he squares the ledger via full refund or delivering as promised, then i'll post that all is good.

IMO it was the same as me buying sponsorships for posters that were not in a position to do so at varying times. Just doing things for others that would have otherwise missed it.

Go Catters
Well, I'm in for $20 for other 'meet up' type people to give you a free meal and cost free drinks when you're here for a game. We probably owe you that.

Well, I'm in for $20 for other 'meet up' type people to give you a free meal and cost free drinks when you're here for a game. We probably owe you that.

Very kind. I only went public as I didnt want anyone else to lose out. Id written it off to experience and the "no go deed goes unpunished" mantra.

Go Catters

IMO it was the same as me buying sponsorships for posters that were not in a position to

What did you actually give him the money for?

Go Catters

Is this the same time as when another individual who's no longer here used his phone number to prank call him at all hours of the day?

What a sordid affair this has turned out to be.

What did you actually give him the money for?
A copy of the collection of GFC games he's compiled - not his originals.

GO Catters

We are getting well OT here - and this is not about rehashing the past or bagging people. My warning to others is enough.

Any further public discussion will be removed. Private discussion is fine

GO Catters

GAS should go to Geelong and finish off his career kicking 100 goals a year at FF, and play 400 games. He really wants to see that.

Sheedy said he'd play GAS in the forward pocket until he was 40 or so I believe :)
I moved over here in 1999 so was fortunate enough to watch Senior his whole career , from a skinny winger with pace to burn to a near on 100kg monster he just dominated to competition and was a marvel to all fans.
Has the best goal average for a non full forward , then the best for a FF when he played there for 3 or so seasons. Sublimely skilled and brutal with burst power like an Olympic sprinter and a leg like a mule - look at how effortlessly he kicks them from inside the square in Nakias video
Having said that GAJ is right up there as well - different beast but a once in generation type nevertheless
Whilst I rate GAS and Farmer above GAJ there is no doubt GAJ and his dad are the best ever father and son combination by the length of the Flemington straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back