Gary Ablett Jr holds the all time record for the most Brownlow votes. Dangerfield, Selwood and Pendlebury are top 10.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Time (oldest player there with Lethal by far) and perhaps the fact that, with Harvey, the only two on the list not to win a flag. Still, gun:

I was at a game in 1980 when he had 40 disposals, 22 marks and 29 hitouts playing on Simon Madden and 'Crackers' Keenan.

He also held the ruck hit out record for 33 years.

One of the most contemporarily underrated players to have played the game.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Mitchell received an incredible amount of umpire love in the post 2012 period. I'd say more than any other player on that list from this century.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
And they said he might retire. Nah mate come back here for 400k and spark 10 threads on the mainboard :heart:

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Selwoods had the better career than your Pendlebury, Fyfe, Martins etc. Even when you disregard all his accolades he's played at the top more consistently than any of those players. He's the ultimate professional. Second to only Gaz. And the only player in the league that draws comparisons to Leigh Matthews.

To describe it better the other "top 5 mids" are bunch of cheap chinese mig welders. Whilst all Richmond fans may argue Martin is 150A and Selwood is only 135A. Martin has a duty cycle of only 10% and the amount of seasons in his career he wasn't a top 5 player you could count on two hands.
I put him in the Pendlebury category (and to be honest I think Sam Mitchell was in this category for a long time). Guys who have had incredibly consistent careers near the top, but never the clear best player. Generally in the top 5-10 midfielders every year

And he's signed up for at least another 4 years. Going by his Brownlow vote averages, he's likely to displace Judd in the top 5 by the time his career is up. What a gun. :thumbsu:
No matter what rubbish Selwood haters come up with, his position on the "ladder" as one of only two footballers still playing proves the point that players who selflessly put their bodies on the line and adopt the attitude, "ball first" are rewarded by the umpires. They are the engines that ignite and drive teams

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
In the good old days the umpires fairly judged the performance and impact of all players, except defenders.

These days they rely on media hype to determine which midfielder should win it.

A once good award now basically crap.
Yep, and it normally takes a year for umpires to take notice of someone when they hit their straps, Dane Swan in 2010 is proof of this.

It's funny because of all the players on that top 10 list, the no.1 Gary Dempsey is easily the least recognisable name there.
Maybe if you are a kid or have only started following football in the last 10 years

Joel selwood 10th of all time
Please.
Imagine the oozing when he passes Leigh Matthews and Sam Mitchell...

Deck chairs, beers and buckets to catch the tears at the ready...

Go Catters

No tears. But any footy fan with any knowledge knows he doesn't stand up there with Matthews and Co.

I guess 11 years of umpiring officialdom would disagree with you... they must ALL be wrong huh..

Go Catters

No tears. But any footy fan with any knowledge knows he doesn't stand up there with Matthews and Co.
I guess he'd need to be charged by police with assault on the football field to join Lethal?

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, and it normally takes a year for umpires to take notice of someone when they hit their straps, Dane Swan in 2010 is proof of this.

Jordan Lewis a few years ago mid season was announced as a sneaky outsider for a Brownlow. Was included in all the talk for the rest of the season.

His actual Brownlow votes up to that point was 3 or 4, and from that point was about 10 or 12.

So once the media announced how good he was going his votes massively increased. Possibly just a coincidence...

Back