Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey for me...though...
Apparently BS bill shorten could have been.
According to William Richard he kicked 18 goals in his first match, more unbelievable was that he was playing in the back pocket and with a broken collarbone.

There's simply a number of posters on this site whose opinions I give no credence to. I wouldn't even bother responding to. That number grows as the quality of this forum decreases. You're not one but that post was.

Sometimes I wonder whether I've accidentally stumbled onto Bay 13 most of the time now.

Is this post some weird written self portrait thingy?

I agree that Junior is the best ever AFL footballer.
I had Matthews & Carey equal top but this guy is 35 & still going strong.
We'll miss him when he's not around anymore, that's for sure.

Gee, you wonder what impact modern training / diet / dedication would have on a specimen like this....it would’ve been scary.

“Yeah, we basically have a bit of kick around three nights a week and a couple of sessions in the gym. I don’t do too many weights.........”

The most naturally gifted footballer I have seen, the only negative is he couldn’t or wouldn’t do team.

I voted based on the nonsense of the last few pages

60433185_10157582048316844_6728555165311303680_n.jpg

2007 was a bit borderline. A debate could be made for 2008 and 2014 as well (the last one because he missed 30% of the season through injury).
2007 borderline? I was happy for Jimmy Bartel winning the Brownlow but
Ablett was robbed! He won the Geelong BF by a record margin over Bartel.
How the hell did you come to that conclusion?

Gee, you wonder what impact modern training / diet / dedication would have on a specimen like this....it would’ve been scary.

“Yeah, we basically have a bit of kick around three nights a week and a couple of sessions in the gym. I don’t do too many weights.........”

The most naturally gifted footballer I have seen, the only negative is he couldn’t or wouldn’t do team.

That is a good point. Players in those days didn’t have the training regime or the focus they do now. I wonder what the truly great players from that era would be like now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthews. Unless you saw him play from the mid 70's on, there's no point commenting. He was immense!
8 x HFC B&F
4 x Premierships
915 Goals
Carey, Ablett Snr then Junior, Judd then Bud. You could argue the top 10 which both Abletts would be in but Matthews, imo was the goat.

Last edited:
Gazza Senior easily the best, no one else even remotely close. As Greg Williams recently said, to claim anyone else is/was on the same level is insulting.
I agree, Gary senior is easily the best and the fact that he is the father of the best player ever is proof of how good his genes are.

Yes, Gold Coast's midfield has certainly got his mojo back and the game is better for it. The added support has helped his longevity, he no longer has to try and mark his own kicks down the line.

Ablett (snr and jr) - in terms of talent and achievement - WOW!!!, it will be hard to equal
The best two players the game has seen. It's remarkable.

Yes but unlike you I back my opinion with reasons as to why my opinion might be right. You just state yours with no decent reference as to why. Fairly big difference!
It’s all subjective. No evidence can say who is better at that level, it’s just what I think and you can’t hack as it isn’t Ablett.

Grow up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back