Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Name them

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Please would be nice. Happy to name the 20 players I have seen that are better that Ablett Jnr. I will go one better and name 20 not from my club so that there is no perceived bias.
In particular order

- Matthews
- Stewart
- Hart
- Lockett
- Hudson
- Ablett Snr
- Jeaulenko
- Farmer
- Nicholls
- Doull
- Bourke
- Williams
- Grieg
- Carey
- Blight
- Bartlett
- Cable
- Flower
- Whitten
- Skilton

He's certainly in amazing form for his age. But 'best geriatric' doesn't get you to GOAT status.

Matthews has him pretty easily covered for example. Matthews kicked 91 goals in '77 while averaging 27 disposals. Ablett has never come anywhere
near close to that. Sure, he averages more disposals than Matthews in this era of handball happy game play, but had nothing like Matthews' combined ability to both impact general play and hit the scoreboard. I'm not sure anyone has. Even Carey, who liked to get up the ground averages slightly less goals and a lot less disposals over his career than Matthews.

Matthews averaged more than twice as many career goals as GAJ, but only about 3 disposals per game less, and those extra disposals for GAJ are all handballs, because Matthews actually averaged more kicks per game than GAJ, and comfortably so (nearly 5 more per game). Matthews kicked it 38 times in one game with 11 goals. Where is Gary's 41 disposal 11 goal game? Where is his second 11 goal game?

One area Gary appears to be catching up on Matthews is sniping. Still has a fair way to go to pass him there too though.

Ablett Jnr does not come close to Matthews.

Please would be nice. Happy to name the 20 players I have seen that are better that Ablett Jnr. I will go one better and name 20 not from my club so that there is no perceived bias.
In particular order

- Matthews
- Stewart
- Hart
- Lockett
- Hudson
- Ablett Snr
- Jeaulenko
- Farmer
- Nicholls
- Doull
- Bourke
- Williams
- Grieg
- Carey
- Blight
- Bartlett
- Cable
- Flower
- Whitten
- Skilton
Not a player from the past twenty years. The years when the comp was actually professional. 13 of your 20 played during the 70s vfl though. Rose tinted glasses of the past clearly biasing your view.

Not a player from the past twenty years. The years when the comp was actually professional. 13 of your 20 played during the 70s vfl though. Rose tinted glasses of the past clearly biasing your view.

Nope seen some great players in recent times such as Buckley, Hird, Voss, Judd and Ablett Jnr but would not rank them in the top 20. Modern does not mean better.

Did you see all the players on my list play?

Nope seen some great players in recent times such as Buckley, Hird, Voss, Judd and Ablett Jnr but would not rank them in the top 20. Modern does not mean better.

Did you see all the players on my list play?

He didn’t even see Dunstall play if you read his posts about him and I guess probably not Ablett senior either.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He didn’t even see Dunstall play if you read his posts about him and I guess probably not Ablett senior either.

And there is another one that I would add to the list ahead of Ablett Jnr ... Dunstall

lol soft utensil Ablett wouldn't have lasted a week in the 70's VFL the greatest and most skillful era of the game

From what I've seen it's not even close Gaz is a cut above the rest.

Last edited:
lol soft utensil Ablett wouldn't have lasted a week in the 70's VFL the greatest and most skillful era of the game

Most skillful... Hahahahahaha. The skills of those days are woeful compared to modern players who are under 10 times the pressure against much faster and fitter opponents.

Some people are incapable of objectively analyzing the past, the footy from their day always has to be the best...

Most skillful? Have you seen footage from that era? Its barely better then the local leagues skill level today and fitness may of even been worse. In the early 70s there were still numerous players who had flabby old man arms. Most smoked and their diets were awful. Ablett, who at his peak was one of the strongest small mids in the past twenty years would of won 8 brownlows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you stop bringing up that clearly inferior player in this thread. Start up a thread for players who were the third best player in the comp at their position if you want to discuss Dunstall. Although some Adelaide fans might try to debate you about whether Modra was better then Dunstall. That is a more worthy debate then Dunstall vs Ablett.

Well Seniors best Brownlow count is 13 votes and he won 1 BnF in 1985 I think..... so um.... he’s not the GOAT then?

He does have 3 colemans and a mvp though. Not to mention averaging 4.2 goals a game whilst only playing as a full forward at most half his career. Where is cyrils awards and stats to back up his claim of even being a great player?

Matthews is the best I've seen and certainly better than Jnr. Unbelievably, he kicked 91 goals playing predominantly midfield in 1977 when he was 25.

Matthews had a better swivel/pivot than Ablett, was a better mark, and had better goal sense, kicking almost 1,000 goals.

Matthews was also as tough and ruthless as they come. The sheer physical intimidation he had over his opponents is something Ablett could only dream of.

It's a shame Ablett spent almost half his career at a club that may be extinct in 20-30 years.

I'm also in the camp that thinks Judd's best was better than Ablett's, although one has to say Ablett had the better career due to longevity.

Carey is the second best player I've seen.

Hawthorn fans gloating in sniping. Nothing new.

Typical Geelong fan to wring their hands over a little bit of physical contact.

Looked like a valid shepherd to me. Bit hard to tell from the blurry footage, but may well be legal even today.

Physical presence. Just one of many areas where Matthews shat all over GAJ.

I have no bias at all being a Collingwood supporter but to compare Ablett Jnr to Matthews is laughable. Matthews was 5 times the player that Ablett was.

Matthews would still be good in the modern era but Gaz would wear him inside out. You also have a clear bias against Ablett to be putting all those geezers above him

Can you stop bringing up that clearly inferior player in this thread. Start up a thread for players who were the third best player in the comp at their position if you want to discuss Dunstall. Although some Adelaide fans might try to debate you about whether Modra was better then Dunstall. That is a more worthy debate then Dunstall vs Ablett.

The topic is Ablett Jnr. Don't get rustled when Dunstall is just one of the players mentioned who is better.

I have no bias at all being a Collingwood supporter but to compare Ablett Jnr to Matthews is laughable. Matthews was 5 times the player that Ablett was.

Right... So players have gotten worse overtime despite the AFL becoming professional, expanding massively, far far far far better athletically and tactics/coaching being a thousand times better, a much bigger player pool ect ect... Despite all those things, players from the 70s in an amateur suburban competition are significantly better than the elite fulll time modern players?

Can you people so blinded by nostalgia even grasp what you're saying? It's so stupid it's laughable. Great players for their eras, but to say they're significantly better than the best modern players is just idiotic, thats reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back