Gary Ablett or Chris Judd

Who has been the better player over their careers?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast: 7th, Runners-Up, Premiership, 3rd, Judd leaves, 15th, 11th, 16th
Geelong: Premiership, Runners Up, Premiership, 2nd, Ablett leaves, Premiership, 6th, 2nd, 3rd

Not a fan of West Coast and Carlton at all but would take Judd every day of the week. He was carried at Geelong by Scarlett, Ottens, Mooney, Bartel, Corey, Kelly, Selwood etc but all the attention was heaped onto Ablett because he could do all the flashy things and rack up the stats, which hasn't exactly worked well at the suns (18th, 17th, 14th, 12th, 16th, 15th).

Geelong would've won the flags in 07 and 09 without him easily, as they showed in 2011. Without Judd the eagles would have struggled to make the finals, let alone make two grand finals and win one. He even made Carlton half-decent!

It wasn't just Judd leaving though and to try and claim it was is idiocy. Cousins didn't play again at West Coast after Judd left, Kerr was perennially injured, Chick, Wirra, Stenglein and Braun were all coming to the end of their careers, Lynch's career stagnated, as did Hunter, Jones and Fletcher. That's almost half of their premiership side, 7 of the top 10 in the B&F.

For a one off game and both players are at their peak then I wouldn't even hesitate before picking Judd. Ablett probably had more consistent performances but Judd best was better.

It also has to be remembered that Ablett didn't suffer the debilitating early and mid-career injuries like Judd. His transformation from a lightning quick, goal kicking freak who could take the game away from you in a 10 minute burst into a super consistent, inside beast and clearance king after injury was nothing short of remarkable. He effectively won two Brownlows playing two different styles/roles.

The same could be said about Ablett with his first shoulder injury, but if Judd hadn't have suffered that OP in 2007 he would have been a 3 time Brownlow medalist (his start to that season was phenomenal) and who knows what he would have been able to do in 2008 when he was still struggling with his groins.

Despite the Leigh Adams incident, he's been one of my favourite non-North players and the best player I've seen since I've been able to form a coherent, analytical, critical opinion on football.

Ablett over a career but judds best was every bit as good!
I think people often forget how good judd was at WCE and how quickly he could turn a game.
Compared to the inside bull he turned into whist at carlton, which in itself was impressive!

Judd was one of the best of his generation, but that doesn't compare with Ablett.

I'd put Judd just above his peers during his time in the game.
I think he elevated himself above Voss, Buckley and Harvey.

Williams and Judd sit together as possibly two of the greatest midfielders the game has ever seen.

It would be remarkable if Ablett could go on for another 2 more years. He could considerably boost his goal average as he may finish his career as he started, playing closer to goal.
That is what separates him from the others, the ability to kick sausage rolls.

I'd put Judd just above his peers during his time in the game.
I think he elevated himself above Voss, Buckley and Harvey.

Williams and Judd sit together as possibly two of the greatest midfielders the game has ever seen.

It would be remarkable if Ablett could go on for another 2 more years. He could considerably boost his goal average as he may finish his career as he started, playing closer to goal.
That is what separates him from the others, the ability to kick sausage rolls.

Ablett Jnr. is in a category of his own and firmly ranks with his dad, Matthews and Carey (I've only seen highlights of Snr. and Matthews though).

It's a true shame that he hasn't been able to play these last few seasons as I believe he'd have another Brownlow to his name (he should have two more anyway). If he can stay fit I believe he would be 40+ goal scorer playing close goals and would be able to wrack-up 25 touches a game quite easily.

Williams was before my time so I cannot really compare. But I see Judd and Mitchell in the same category as Voss, Buckley and Harvey. With Judd's best being the most damaging of those players.

Back