Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

North win that getting a good young player and extra points for someone they dropped to the vfl.

Geelong do well if Ablett plays 3 years well, GC probably giving too much for swallow IMO.

You are on the right track in terms of GC needing to do 2 lower picks for 1 higher pick due to list spot issues etc.

Yeah, that was my assessment but I couldn't figure out how to make it any better for GCS as I don't think they want more picks

I find it funny that Essendon are getting Stringer, Dev Smith and Saad all under the age of 24 for the sum of just picks 11 and 30 to them!!! Not a peep.

However Geel are selfish b/c a player who'll be 34 before he kicks a ball wants to come home for his family yet he's worth pick 19!!

It's actually insane. GC let a recently contracted player in their top 10, a member of the 22under 22, just turned 23 with a decade of football left walk out today for a pick most likely in the mid 30's!!

Sure, so long as we stop with the fanciful suggestions that Gold Coast should give up Ablett for nothing.

Stalemate doesn't mean 'well we asked our players and none want to move so therefore we get him for pick 985', it means if a deal isn't agreed then you don't get the player - which may or may not be of concern to Geelong.

Would you rather a pick in the 20s or a premiership in the next two years? That's the gamble in play. The 33 year old in question polled 14 Brownlow votes in 6 games this year playing for a team who stink. You reckon he couldn't have made a difference in the QF?
Pick 35 is a fair result for both clubs, don't pretend that it's not.

Just the facts of the matter. Geelong is a team who's traded picks and weakened their draft for a few years running. Ablett decided he wants to return to Geelong but that doesn't change the fact that we need to actually use some draft picks to get young players and it doesn't mean we should just stupidly burn our future for an older player.

And like wise GC shouldn't let one of their best players and BnF winner walk for nothing just because the club he nominated doesn't have the currency.

I still find it mind blowing that cats fans expect all the good will to be one way.

I find it funny that Essendon are getting Stringer, Dev Smith and Saad all under the age of 24 for the sum of just picks 11 and 30 to them!!! Not a peep.

However Geel are selfish b/c a player who'll be 34 before he kicks a ball wants to come home for his family yet he's worth pick 19!!

It's actually insane. GC let a recently contracted player in their top 10, a member of the 22under 22, just turned 23 with a decade of football left walk out today for a pick most likely in the mid 30's!!
The media are saying the clubs have to take the deals as well I can't work it out . It's madness . The media are full of bomber blues and pies bias obviously .

And like wise GC shouldn't let one of their best players and BnF winner walk for nothing just because the club he nominated doesn't have the currency.

I still find it mind blowing that cats fans expect all the good will to be one way.

Given Jnr. is not contracted to Geelong, we are under no obligation to facilitate any ridiculous demands by the GC. The onus is really on the GC to show some compassion to a player who's given them more than any other in their short history. They should be grateful for his contribution and accept similar picks used to trade other champion veterans players (i.e. Hodge, Mitchell, Chapman) who only have/had a handful of games left in their career.

As far as I'm concerned any pick higher than 50 is too much. Just because Geelong could potentially win a flag doesn't mean we should pay more than a team that has no hope of winning the flag in the next couple of years.

I'm fine with Gary retiring if the GC continue to be greedy opportunistic pricks at the expense of Gary's circumstances; the blame will lay entire at the feet of an ungrateful GC, a franchise that has had everything paid for by the league.

Only a dolt will feel 'sorry' for the GC, any sympathy should be directed at Jnr. and no one else. But we all know that the reason why some posters are showing so much concern for the GC in this particular trade is because it could benefit Geelong. If Gary had demanded to be traded to a perennial under achiever, it would have attracted about a fraction of the attention and nobody would be siding with the GC.

Last edited:
Given Jnr. is not contracted to Geelong, we are under no obligation to facilitate any ridiculous demands by the GC. The onus is really on the GC to show some compassion to a player who's given them more than any other in their short history. They should be grateful for his contribution and accept similar picks used to trade other champion veterans players (i.e. Hodge, Mitchell, Chapman) who only have/had a handful of games left in their career.

As far as I'm concerned any pick higher than 50 is too much. Just because Geelong could potentially win a flag doesn't mean we should pay more than a team that has no hope of winning the flag in the next couple of years.

I'm fine with Gary retiring if the GC continue to be greedy opportunistic pricks at the expense of Gary's circumstances; the blame will lay entire at the feet of an ungrateful GC, a franchise that has had everything paid for by the league.

How are Geelong not greedy opportunists in this situation as well? Trying to gain a player who would be in your top 5 players for nothing isn't greedy or opportunistic given the circumstances?

Guilting GC into giving him up for nothings isn't opportunistic?

Take the goggles off.

Incorrect statement. We have the currency we just don't think a 33yo is worth overs. The reality is almost all clubs in the same situation would make the same decision they just don't want to admit it.

For what its worth, John Ralph said earlier today that he thinks it should be pick 35.

How are Geelong not greedy opportunists in this situation as well? Trying to gain a player who would be in your top 5 players for nothing isn't greedy or opportunistic given the circumstances?

Guilting GC into giving him up for nothings isn't opportunistic?

Take the goggles off.

We've no doubt set a value of what we think he's worth. I highly doubt that we've been "opportunistic" and changed that now that Gaz's sister has died. What evidence do you have of this accusation?

Only a dolt will feel 'sorry' for the GC, any sympathy should be directed at Jnr. and no one else. But we all know that the reason why some posters are showing so much concern for the GC in this particular trade is because it could benefit Geelong. If Gary had demanded to be traded to a perennial under achiever, it would have attracted about a fraction of the attention and nobody would be siding with the GC.
you're right. Ablett isn't contracted to Geelong. He's contracted to GC on a heavily front-loaded deal, much of which has already been paid out. If Gary retires ask the question of Geelong's list management team. Gold Coast aren't a ******* charity.

you're right. Ablett isn't contracted to Geelong. He's contracted to GC on a heavily front-loaded deal, much of which has already been paid out. If Gary retires ask the question of Geelong's list management team. Gold Coast aren't a ******* charity.

There's really nothing for Gary to ask. I'm pretty sure Geelong has been upfront about their dealings from the very start with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's really nothing for Gary to ask. I'm pretty sure Geelong has been upfront about their dealings from the very start with him.
this isn't about Gary. It's about Gold Coast being perceived as 'greedy' for demanding what they deem to be fair compensation for his departure.

this isn't about Gary. It's about Gold Coast being perceived as 'greedy' for demanding what they deem to be fair compensation for his departure.

But that's the point, isn't it? That it should be about Gary. That he should be put first here.

And it's not about being a charity, it's about respecting a club champion, having a heart during a rough time and taking stock of the situation pragmatically. I think in this situation. Geelong has an obligation not to play games, to put on the table as high an offer as they were willing to go, and GCS have an obligation to take it no matter what it is.

But that's the point, isn't it? That it should be about Gary. That he should be put first here.

And it's not about being a charity, it's about respecting a club champion, having a heart during a rough time and taking stock of the situation pragmatically. I think in this situation. Geelong has an obligation not to play games, to put on the table as high an offer as they were willing to go, and GCS have an obligation to take it no matter what it is.

Lolwut. Why on earth should Gary be put first? Gold Coast have to look out for Gold Coast and not be emotionally guiled into becoming a charity.

Ablett can always retire and live wherever he wants if he isn't happy with the trade outcome

Why should Gold Coast 'put Gary first' when he's clearly a low priority to Geelong?

We've no doubt set a value of what we think he's worth. I highly doubt that we've been "opportunistic" and changed that now that Gaz's sister has died. What evidence do you have of this accusation?

Read the below quote and tell me that's not being opportunistic by using Gary's personal circumstances as leverage when trading?

How about given the Gary's circumstances Geelong make him a priority??

Imagine when Gary told Geelong he wanted to come home after being gone for 7 years. His sister is very unwell and he wants to be with his family and provide for them still while playing the game he loves.

What did Wells say?? "yeah Gaz that's real sad to hear that. We're prepared to umm offer pick....40?.. yeah... we've got a bussiness to run here"

Meet them half way ffs. Gaz has done so much for Geelong.

Why should Gold Coast 'put Gary first' when he's clearly a low priority to Geelong?
Who says he's a low priority? Both clubs met on Friday, the news of his sister broke and now both clubs have said they'll delay talks (presumably until late Wednesday or Thursday) out of respect.

It's simple, for all the bluster on here about what should be given up, and many believe p.19 or p.22 the fact still remains that we can't find players to head north, an impasse that I'm sure you've got no solution for. We've found 1 player happy to go there and the Suns don't want him, Horlin-Smith.

So what exactly can we do to appease the view on here that he's a higher priority? Overpay via drafts picks which we don't want to? Hold a gun to a players head forcing him to move to the Suns? There's an impasse and the best thing to solve it is time. Wait until the last 24-36 hours and see what other smaller deals develop that may present opportunities for a 3 way trade.

As an aside, do you have any evidence the club itself has this as a low priority?

I wonder how many neutral supporters would be keen giving up a top 20 pick for a 33yo Ablett if he was heading to their club.

*crickets*

Already posted that I would be fine to give up a pick around 20 for a 33 year old Ablett to bring him to the Lions.

Was told that I was trolling because apparently no one can have a different opinion to certain posters without it being trolling. :D

LOL @ "not a peep" on Essendon.

Here's 319 pages of "peeps" for you - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jake-stringer-megathread.1176439/. (I'm kidding - don't read it. It's not worth it.)

Read the below quote and tell me that's not being opportunistic by using Gary's personal circumstances as leverage when trading?

Imagine when Gary told Geelong he wanted to come home after being gone for 7 years. His sister is very unwell and he wants to be with his family and provide for them still while playing the game he loves.

What did Wells say?? "yeah Gaz that's real sad to hear that. We're prepared to umm offer pick....40?.. yeah... we've got a bussiness to run here"

Honestly, I think we'd have worded it differently but the promise would have been along those lines. That's what a 34 y.o player is worth even if he is the best player of the last 20 years.

And if anything, we'd probably slightly up our offer given the circumstances which is the opposite of opportunistic. But at the end of the day he's a 34 y.o footballer. And if half way is pick 19 or pick 22 that's taking the piss.

Already posted that I would be fine to give up a pick around 20 for a 33 year old Ablett to bring him to the Lions.

Was told that I was trolling because apparently no one can have a different opinion to certain posters without it being trolling. :D
and it was shown weeks ago that clubs don’t. There’s been less than 5 players over 30 trades for anything above p.30 and the most notable was the Carey to Adelaide flop.

Clubs aren’t daft enough to expend picks in the teens or 20’s on a 33yo.

I agree we should meet them half way.

But he is worth a pick in the 50's. Gold Coast want a pick in the 20's. Therefore meet half way at 35. Done deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back