Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
I feel this is a subject which will be visited a lot throughout 2017. Especially with news of his house being up for sale and a few other tell tale signs.

For that reason I have opened up a thread on the topic. Will be monitored very closely however, so if you are a Geelong troll coming to take the urine, be careful.

What are SUNS fans thoughts? My main thought is, would he really go if we have a premiership window opening? He has come so far, and he said from the start that his goal was to be here for a flag.

Think you hit the nail on the head , if our window opens up he will stay and see out his contract , but by the sounds of it his missus might have other plans . But even if he decides to move on he will be a great for this club , our first brownlow medalist , and will free up a million dollars of salary cap which could be used a couple of very good players or Fyfe.;)

Think you hit the nail on the head , if our window opens up he will stay and see out his contract , but by the sounds of it his missus might have other plans . But even if he decides to move on he will be a great for this club , our first brownlow medalist , and will free up a million dollars of salary cap which could be used a couple of very good players or Fyfe.;)

I think we have learned our lesson and wont target a proven superstar.

'IF' we get that winning culture this year, more and more players will want to come to the SUNS. If we lose Gary and free up some of that space, we could be better suited to getting some young up and coming leaders I think. Obviously thats not going to be Bont or Heeney, but there will be a slot of kids around the 22-24 bracket who would love to come to a winning culture at the best pace in Australia to lead a top 4 team. Bit like Ward and Scully!

So much rests on him making it through the year without another season ending injury.

If his shoulder gives away for a 3rd time, I can see the doctors telling him to walk away from the game with 1yr on his contract. And he takes his $500k career ending injury payout from the AFL like Dane Swan (50% of base wage).

Well the drums are already beating. Mitch Cleary has already been reporting about his house being up for sale and how he has apparently said he will take a huge pay cut to move back to the Cats. But then again anything Gaz to Geelong related will sell papers/get views so who knows how much he actually knows, and how much he is just putting 2 and 2 together.

If its true about the pay cut then Im a bit dissapointed. First of all, why sign the massive contract with us for 3 years only to back out after 2 and move home for a heavily reduced contract if he really wanted to help us win a premiership? He's willing to do it at Geelong but wasn't with us?? And secondly he is banking on getting through another season let alone 2-3 more after the last few years he has had at his age and with the issues going on in his life already? Good for him, but I really hope his mind is not already on 2018 back in Geelong, although its Gaz so we shouldnt have to worry about him not being anything but professional.

It'll be interesting to see how it unfolds, but it is going to become unbearable if we don't improve as much as we are hoping and have a similar year to last year. Either way Gaz will forever be a huge part of the club even if the last 6-ish months has lessened it a bit in some supporters eyes.

Could go either way..
Supposably Stevie J was hanging up the boots..
But after GWS tearing the comp a new one is playing for 1 more year expecting a premiership.

I'd much rather the club now sooner rather the later of his intentions.
If you have a extra million in your salary cap you go browsing early in the year.. not at trade period.

If he bails last minute end of season/ trade period we could easily be left with a fair chunk of a million unable to pass onto new players.

I come here not as a troll, but for me his move to you blokes was always about the $$$$... my views only were strengthened his last contract when he signed as soon as he realised his shoulder was struggling (and before the offer could be changed/withdrawn etc)

Personally I don't see why we would even entertain the idea, we have moved on our older blokes so why bring one in who at best has a year or 2 left and who has struggled to get on the park of late.. I'm also worried about the potential cost.
If he wasn't an Ablett I dare say we wouldn't even be entertaining the idea.

Anyway welcome to our world 2010 when there was speculation all year long about him :thumbsu:

Just a thought

It could just be the Jordan wants to move a little closer to the cafe lifestyle of Broadbeach etc. The current property while beautiful is a little out of the hussle and bustle. They could be moving beachside perhaps to make her a little happier?

Just a thought

It could just be the Jordan wants to move a little closer to the cafe lifestyle of Broadbeach etc. The current property while beautiful is a little out of the hussle and bustle. They could be moving beachside perhaps to make her a little happier?

Always the glass half full kinda guy :p

another story poached by the media after being discovered on bigfooty. surprise surprise haha.

in a way, you'd hope if has does a press conference after training sometime in the near future (although unlikely after relinquishing the captaincy), hopefully someone asks about the house and has a simple answer.

i'd hope he's staying. he's captained us through the tough times, why jump ship now when he's said all along he wants to win a flag up here? he may have his reasons, but it would be a shame for the gold coast football community. one less big name player in the team, if we don't improve on last year's form I have concerns about not being able to draw crowds.

a positive of if he goes, there's some more cash in the salary to pay to some of our young talent to help keep them up here. I'm sure guys like ainsworth would rather have as much opportunity to play alongside one of their childhood idols for as long as they can.

We all saw the s**t eating way the Cats fans dealt with Danger....if Ablett goes back....f*ck me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think it is his last year with us.

Not too bothered tbh. When he leaves and takes a deal with the Cats, it frees up so much money that can be used to lure some good solid players, as well as make sure our prized recruits are able to be given new deals when required.

Think it all comes back to one thing.

If the Suns have a good year, look very competitive and with plenty of young talent, it will not matter much what Gaz does. Stay or go, retire or play on, I think we would all be able to come to terms with it.

But if the club struggles again and he wants to go, might get nasty.

Personally, I am not fussed either way. Been well paid but with a lot (a lot) of losses and plenty of off-field turmoil. Going back home after all that? Fair enough.

Will be almost 34 come the start of the 2018 season , i would say not a lot but who knows.

I'd probably be happy with a decent pic upgrade. I dunno if that fair. Maybe Ablett and a 4th for a second

I'd probably be happy with a decent pic upgrade. I dunno if that fair. Maybe Ablett and a 4th for a second

Sam Mitchell got pick 88, but different circumstances I guess so who knows. The cap space alone would be pretty sweet especially with Lynch, 2MP, Swallow, etc. already signed up. Would help in re-signing May, Touk, Martin, and the 4 rookies in the next 12-24months and you would think have a good chunk left over to chase a big-ish name if we wanted to and could realistically get someone in.

Just a thought

I reckon you will find they will buy or rent somewehere she prefers like Iva says near the beach or elsewehere, we are out of the action here for a young chick there are no restaurants or coffee shops or anything just privacy so boring for her, be interesting to see where they pop up

I reckon you will find they will buy or rent somewehere she prefers like Iva says near the beach or elsewehere, we are out of the action here for a young chick there are no restaurants or coffee shops or anything just privacy so boring for her, be interesting to see where they pop up

Maybe this is his way of showing her that the Coast isnt as bad as whats shes making it out to be.
Move closer to the hustle and bustle get a feel for it.. She comes out at the end of the year and says shes cool to stay another year.
Maybe it was a strategic move by the club to give her what she wants. Like they say Happy wife happy life!

I reckon Gaz will do his best to perform at the highest level possible for us in 2017. After that, he's probably going. The only way he won't play well in 2017 is if he's injured. If that happens, he'll probably just retire. If he stays fit & we look like being contenders in 2018, he might stay, but most likely he'll leave. I think it will be for family reasons, not due to any problem with the Suns.

Speculation throughout the year will keep us in the news, but the club will have its work cut out to put a positive spin on that news. We wouldn't get much if we traded him, but like a lot have said, the salary cap space could be handy.

I wish him all the best. I've enjoyed having the best player in the competition at my club. He's been well paid, but he's earned it.

IMO he should of been traded last October/November. It was a win win situation for both Geelong and the Gold Coast, Geelong got there (Lebron coming home scenario) and the suns would of got 3 quality players/picks in return. most likely jade Kolo would of been thrown in there to get the deal done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO he should of been traded last October/November. It was a win win situation for both Geelong and the Gold Coast, Geelong got there (Lebron coming home scenario) and the suns would of got 3 quality players/picks in return. most likely jade Kolo would of been thrown in there to get the deal done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats a dream scenario, I doubt that would have happened at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back