List Mgmt. Farewell Ablett - Officially back to the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:

You post aggressive and don't like it when someone pushes back.

Go re-read my posts, I have challenged you when you make assumptions about me or Cats fans.

I have also said several times I don't know what will actually happen and simply stated how I would like my own club to handle it... and at the end of the day it is simply my opinion.

He left us with dollar signs in his eyes, so at the end of the day he made his own bed.. if a deal can't be done that is Gaz's issue and I don't think you will find too many too upset.
If you bothered coming over to our board at all you would see plenty of posters don't want him back at all, so it certainly isn't unanimous as far as Cats fans are considered.

As I said above I'm moving on now Willo. That reply to cochblocked moved me. Feel free to smoke the peace pipe. Or continue to do what you do.

Gary ain't leaving because Cochrane is going to want 10 first picks in return so I don't even know why this is a thread still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a serious question for you guys. We can all see what you agree as fair value trade wise, if there is a deal for a low pick does that undo a lot of the hardline stuff you have done trade wise.

It's an interesting predicament, I can't see Cochrane rolling over personally.. and I can't see us offering up a lot due to simply not having a lot to offer.. could be a stalemate until the last mins of trade period, or if he does just say he'll retire it may force a hand

He's contracted and a required player For 2018

It's amazing whenever I ask u guys who come in here about GC fans posting in the "total footy" forum about GAJ I cannot get a direct answer. U r being evasive too.

Just a yes or no and if yes an estimate of how many is all I'm fishing for.

In regards to people being polite from Geelong in coming here I'd suggest the poster named Willo is doing you no favours.

If any of us went onto "Total Footy" and was provocative like he is then I know for sure you guys would go nuts.

That's what I call the superior GC hospitality. I don't include myself there I mean the rest of my Suns brethren.

PS-I don't mean any disrespect to u Turbo you write well considered content always.

Honestly MrB... Im not sure what else I can do but post honestly. I have not been evasive at all. If anyone comes on to our board and posts reasonably I really cant see Pure or Catempire or Dazbronco etc being anything but watchful. There would always be some idiots..there are on all boards... and to balance that there would be a couple who just like on here would be supportive and welcoming as long as one does come in a reasonable fashion. Opinions should be accepted everywhere as long as they are presented in a courteous fashion. Id prefer to post as if we were talking over a glass face to face...not someone who hides behind a keyboard or just throw rubbish out there for a bite. Without going and having a look for Suns posters how could I tell... its a thread up to 156 pages , and was started in May 2016.

If you went on to the Geelong site and were provocative..it would draw reaction for sure...as it would if any non supporter did likewize on any board. Willo is a quality poster but like anyone if he is too strong on another clubs board then he must face the music. I have not read anything that would come close to that , certainly nothing more than a polite warning.... to tread carefully. Id say there is a little issue of defining what is provocative.Id not say its provocative to disagree.it is provocative to disagree in a troll like manor

I have a serious question for you guys. We can all see what you agree as fair value trade wise, if there is a deal for a low pick does that undo a lot of the hardline stuff you have done trade wise.

It's an interesting predicament, I can't see Cochrane rolling over personally.. and I can't see us offering up a lot due to simply not having a lot to offer.. could be a stalemate until the last mins of trade period, or if he does just say he'll retire it may force a hand

You hit the nail on the head.

Whilst my personal opinion is I can't see Geelong coffing up a 1St round pick I still see a player or late 2Nd early 3Rd selection coming back to the sun's be it this year or next.

If ablett does leave gold Coast they will likely replace him with another player and will likely require a 2Nd rounder or 2 for trades meaning we would still use a 3Rd round pick.

The sun's board aka. The Coch won't allow the recruitment department to just roll over as it will undo the hard line culture they implemented last year. If ablett does retire it's no loss to us maybe a small financial payout but certainly better then getting an unusable pick and helping an opposition team. I believe the club are trying to create the same stigma that follows essendon in trade period and that is a reputation of being a tough club to get deals done.

I've never been a fan of essendon's trade reputation but I feel it's something gold coast requires to develop a back bone something the geniuses that started the club forgot about when they got distracted by shiny things.

This is very much "tongue in cheek", BUT it's my GAZZA Conspiracy Theory.......

He is feigning his current injury (ala Dixon, O'Meara) so he doesn't have to go to Sydney this weekend, which allows him to be at The Gabba to see his future Club in action....and then join in the victory celebrations later with his future team mates.....

How's that for a Conspiracy Theory.....;););););););)

He is feigning his current injury (ala Dixon, O'Meara) so he doesn't have to go to Sydney this weekend, which allows him to be at The Gabba to see his future Club in action....and then join in the victory celebrations later with his future team mates.....

This sudden injury not mentioned by Ashcroft and the Geelong Holiday Camp did cross my mind too yesterday.

Brisbane are building into being a nice tough gritty side. I wish in terms of hardness and effort we were making the same progress as them this year. Thanks again Rocket-job well done.

I give them a sneaky chance of a boil over and souring the little get together.

I'm not actually buying into your tongue in cheek conspiracy theory,however, as I just said in another thread if GAJ is starting to play silly buggers then I'd remind GAJ/Cochrane/Evans that there are ten clubs in Victoria within what I'd call a reasonable distance of these "family issues".

latest

Steven May still hopeful Gary Ablett will stay at Gold Coast Suns beyond 2017
Tom Boswell, Gold Coast Bulletin
July 8, 2017 12:00am
STEVEN May remains hopeful Gary Ablett will play out his contract at the Suns as the club edges towards what could be their final games with the star.

Gold Coast showed enough signs that they were going in the right direction for May to re-sign with the Suns on Thursday.

The co-captain May hasn’t given up hope that midfield superstar Ablett will follow suit if they push into the top eight. Ablett requested a trade back to Geelong at the end of last year and hasn’t ruled out doing the same or retiring at the end of 2017, despite being contracted for another year.

“Whatever he decides to do we will be forever grateful for what he has done for us there is no doubt – on and off the field,” May said.

“If we show good signs he is keen to hang around so that is still a possibility at the moment. We are not out of the finals, we are still there nipping at ninth and eighth.”

Gold Coast (6-8) are 12th on the ladder, two wins outside the eight with eight games left.

May said he believed Gold Coast were getting to the stage where Ablett’s presence on the list was a bonus instead of the dual Brownlow Medallist being a necessity to the team’s on-field success.

“I would like to see that as a plus rather then a key part of the team,” May said.

“I’d like to see that as the cream on the top but we have the core covered rather than in previous years where we need Gaz to win.”

Gold Coast will get another test to see if they are ready for life without the midfielder who will miss today’s Round 15 game against the Sydney Swans at the SCG with a hamstring injury.

May said the Suns had overcome their early season struggles and were ready to test themselves against a team he rated as the best in the competition over the past six rounds.

“We have been inconsistent this year, there is no secret about that,” May said.

“But our list is coming together and we are finally getting some continuity out on the ground.

“Some of those losses at the start of the year were pretty damning but over the last couple of months I have seen our attitude and the direction we are heading.

“Sydney are the in-form team, I have a great feeling we are going to take it up to them.”

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/gary-abletts-path-back-to-geelong-cats-hits-hurdle-20170713-gxaw2m.html

Article in spoiler

Gary Ablett’s path back to Geelong Cats hits hurdle
  • Caroline Wilson
A significant stumbling block has emerged in the path that would lead Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett back to Geelong to complete his illustrious AFL career.

It has come to light that the dual Brownlow medallist received significant upfront payments in the first two years of his current three-year deal with the Suns and that the club would demand commensurate compensation to let Ablett go.

The Cats have learnt of the contractual hitch and are investigating the full details of the most recent Ablett agreement, understood to be worth about $2.5 million over three years.

To fulfil the final year of Ablett's contract, which runs until the end of next season, Geelong would have to pay its former champion an estimated $500,000.

Gold Coast power brokers are understood to be determined the Cats would also have to provide compensation for the heavily front-ended contract by trading a younger player to the Suns and covering some $300,000 of that player's wage.

Geelong's current salary cap situation plus the complex deal it faces in securing Ablett, along with the Suns' tough line, have combined to create serious doubts at Simonds Stadium despite the club's previous enthusiasm to welcome home its two-time premiership star.

Ablett, 33, requested a trade back to Geelong at the end of last season for family reasons, a request turned down by the Suns. The club has worked to improve the off-field circumstances of the champion and his wife, with Ablett notching his 100th game for Gold Coast earlier this season and playing his 300th game last month.

Despite injuries, drawing scrutiny for a rare poor performance in round two and subsequently revealing he might retire at the end of 2017, Ablett has continued to play solid football and would currently sit in the top three or four of the Suns' best and fairest calculations.

Under AFL rules, a player with aheavily front-ended contract – Ablett is understood to have earned at least $2 million of his three-year deal in the first two years of the agreement – the club seeking to recruit the player cannot compensate with money.

Should the Suns insist on adequate compensation that must come in the form of a player with Geelong forced to pay most of that player's wage. Gold Coast have indicated they will play hard ball and have also repeatedly stated they have no interest next season in trading players for draft picks.

Ablett's manager, Liam Pickering, has not signalled to Gold Coast any indication to date that his client wants to depart at the end of 2017, but speculation has continued that a return to Geelong is on the cards. Ironically, it was the Ablett camp which pushed for a three-year agreement, with Gold Coast initially offering two.

The Cats, currently sitting in the top four and like a number of clubs facing a tight salary cap next season, have not yet formed an official view regarding a play for Ablett. But as it stands the price to bring Ablett back to Simonds for one or two more seasons looks unworkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been over on the Cats Ablett thread and they are adamant he is going there, not based on a lot of facts though. They have been open to my posts and while they don't agree to this point have been measured in their response.

Good on them for being measured towards you. TurboCat probably would get stuck in to anyone who was rude.

I saw one bloke in there declare the Ablett trade was a done deal purely based on a smirk that was on CScott's face when asked a question once about him. That's the sort of empirical evidence they go on down there. Deep thinkers.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/gary-abletts-path-back-to-geelong-cats-hits-hurdle-20170713-gxaw2m.html

Article in spoiler

Gary Ablett’s path back to Geelong Cats hits hurdle
  • Caroline Wilson
A significant stumbling block has emerged in the path that would lead Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett back to Geelong to complete his illustrious AFL career.

It has come to light that the dual Brownlow medallist received significant upfront payments in the first two years of his current three-year deal with the Suns and that the club would demand commensurate compensation to let Ablett go.

The Cats have learnt of the contractual hitch and are investigating the full details of the most recent Ablett agreement, understood to be worth about $2.5 million over three years.

To fulfil the final year of Ablett's contract, which runs until the end of next season, Geelong would have to pay its former champion an estimated $500,000.

Gold Coast power brokers are understood to be determined the Cats would also have to provide compensation for the heavily front-ended contract by trading a younger player to the Suns and covering some $300,000 of that player's wage.

Geelong's current salary cap situation plus the complex deal it faces in securing Ablett, along with the Suns' tough line, have combined to create serious doubts at Simonds Stadium despite the club's previous enthusiasm to welcome home its two-time premiership star.

Ablett, 33, requested a trade back to Geelong at the end of last season for family reasons, a request turned down by the Suns. The club has worked to improve the off-field circumstances of the champion and his wife, with Ablett notching his 100th game for Gold Coast earlier this season and playing his 300th game last month.

Despite injuries, drawing scrutiny for a rare poor performance in round two and subsequently revealing he might retire at the end of 2017, Ablett has continued to play solid football and would currently sit in the top three or four of the Suns' best and fairest calculations.

Under AFL rules, a player with aheavily front-ended contract – Ablett is understood to have earned at least $2 million of his three-year deal in the first two years of the agreement – the club seeking to recruit the player cannot compensate with money.

Should the Suns insist on adequate compensation that must come in the form of a player with Geelong forced to pay most of that player's wage. Gold Coast have indicated they will play hard ball and have also repeatedly stated they have no interest next season in trading players for draft picks.

Ablett's manager, Liam Pickering, has not signalled to Gold Coast any indication to date that his client wants to depart at the end of 2017, but speculation has continued that a return to Geelong is on the cards. Ironically, it was the Ablett camp which pushed for a three-year agreement, with Gold Coast initially offering two.

The Cats, currently sitting in the top four and like a number of clubs facing a tight salary cap next season, have not yet formed an official view regarding a play for Ablett. But as it stands the price to bring Ablett back to Simonds for one or two more seasons looks unworkable.
So this basically puts to bed the "gold coast can free up salary cap so give him away" mentality as we've just about paid Gary for 2018 already. So a fair trade is suddenly a top end draft pick or a promising young player.

So this basically puts to bed the "gold coast can free up salary cap so give him away" mentality as we've just about paid Gary for 2018 already. So a fair trade is suddenly a top end draft pick or a promising young player.

The fools down there didn't plan ahead so they have already given away their first round pick for this year.

So it's a player or TWO like JKolo, Guthrie, Menzel, Cockatoo etc or they can simply just go away. GAJ would guarantee them not only the sickening Whateley AFL360 romance special in the off season but barring injury catastrophe the 2018 Flag! The Flag-the ultimate dream. Nothing beats that as a sweetener.

Overall though we are not a training ground for self-entitled people, we hold the cards and we should totally make a stand that if you aren't prepared to honour your contract then there are consequences.

Last edited:
Agree. If we've heavily front ended the contract then he can see out his contract with us. He's played good footy this year and the sky hasn't fallen in by him staying. Why give Geelong a foot up? They'd have to give us something very decent in return to even consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back