List Mgmt. Farewell Ablett - Officially back to the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The club will try to do what's in its best interests.. doesn't always end up happening that way.. the jaeger trade last year is a prime example
I think the Jaeger trade worked out beautiful for us just look at how many games Jaeger has played and with news on how bad his knee is he's never going to be the superstar he was touted as being.

I think the Jaeger trade worked out beautiful for us just look at how many games Jaeger has played and with news on how bad his knee is he's never going to be the superstar he was touted as being.
Yeah but what if ended up playing and making an inpact.. you probably wouldn't be saying it

Yeah but what if ended up playing and making an inpact.. you probably wouldn't be saying it
What if the players we picked with those draft picks were delisted? You're not going to get a clear winner from a trade until at least 3-5 years later. But whilst the club still continues to have injury concerns I'd like to point out most players that have left the club have continued to have their injury concerns continue. Either the ground at Metricon or the injury prevention team up here really really sucks or the club seems to have a knack for recruiting injury prone players. So far all trades we've made haven't bitten the club's backside yet and that is all due to injuries.

What if the players we picked with those draft picks were delisted? You're not going to get a clear winner from a trade until at least 3-5 years later. But whilst the club still continues to have injury concerns I'd like to point out most players that have left the club have continued to have their injury concerns continue. Either the ground at Metricon or the injury prevention team up here really really sucks or the club seems to have a knack for recruiting injury prone players. So far all trades we've made haven't bitten the club's backside yet and that is all due to injuries.
Yeah exactly 3-5 minimum

be interesting to know how much being in a constantly losing side contributes to the injury rate and the long term injury rate, it has to have an impact being constantly tackled and under the pump and chasing opponents versus winning on a regular basis

be interesting to know how much being in a constantly losing side contributes to the injury rate and the long term injury rate, it has to have an impact being constantly tackled and under the pump and chasing opponents versus winning on a regular basis

A bit of losers limp coming into play

Hope ablett doesn't miss too many more games this year. 1 it impacts is trade value negatively, 2 if it is his last season I'd like to see more of him in the big red.

I am interested to see how our list management handles this.

I'm at a point where I'd prefer to move on Gazza.

I don't see a point grasping for one more year, or for Gazza to simply retire at the end of the year. If we get one more year, that's alright - but it won't mean anything for our list going forward. If Gazza simply retires, that will be a failure for our list management. If we can get some compensation (picks included, no idea why we wouldn't be open to trading picks???), that'd be a win for me.

I am interested to see how our list management handles this.

I'm at a point where I'd prefer to move on Gazza.

I don't see a point grasping for one more year, or for Gazza to simply retire at the end of the year. If we get one more year, that's alright - but it won't mean anything for our list going forward. If Gazza simply retires, that will be a failure for our list management. If we can get some compensation (picks included, no idea why we wouldn't be open to trading picks???), that'd be a win for me.

Jade kolo has to be part of the trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the front ended side of the Ablett I want 3 years con job I can't see how this can be made to work.
They need to take on Ablett's salary in full plus give us an above average player and pay for his salary out of their own salary cap.
It's over. GAJ plays and is a man of integrity or he weasels it, retires and is run out of town.

I don't get why we'd be so desperate to keep a player who has no chance of being part of a finals berth.
Because he can be the bridge to get us there. A midfield of Fiorini, Lyons, Brodie, Swallow, won't get us there yet but one with Fiorini, Lyons, Ablett, Swallow will add another year of development with Ablett in there will help them so we don't have too many young players in the guts ala 2011.

I know that there is already a Gaz thread but I wanted to highlight a few seperate issues. One thing that is really annoying me, is the constant media commentary trying to get Gaz back to Geelong. Why does this exist ?? Are they somehow excited about the romance of it, or are they just Geelong fan boys who just want to improve their list with elite talent at little to no cost ?? Today on AFL.com there is an article regarding what clubs should do with their 'Over 30 years of age' players. Sure enough Gaz is on the list and regarding him they wrote, and I quote, "The champion midfielder's future is up in the air. Now 33, Ablett has a year to run on his contract but will again ask to be traded to Geelong at season's end. The Suns could refuse, but if the Cats come up with a fair package, it's likely to be the end of Ablett's time on the Coast". This, along with several other articles I have seen, along with the media commentary on any of the popular footy shows, all revolve around getting Gaz back to Geelong. Zero is said about the Suns and our state of affairs, and what he means to our club. The Cats aren't capable of coming up with a "fair package" for us to even entertain the thought of trading Gaz. Steven Motlop and Jake Kolodjashnij are not players we need and in my opinion aren't up to AFL standard, so Geelong can do what they want with them, just don't try trade them to us.

I worry that the noise and reverberations within the AFL media regarding Gary Ablett will continue to get louder to try and force our hand in trading him to Geelong. And I really, really hope our club draws a line in the sand, and either tries to get overs in a trade, or holds him to his contract. We can't let an opponent of ours get stronger at our expense while we languish down the bottom of the ladder with no real light at the end of the tunnel.

I know that there is already a Gaz thread but I wanted to highlight a few seperate issues. One thing that is really annoying me, is the constant media commentary trying to get Gaz back to Geelong. Why does this exist ?? Are they somehow excited about the romance of it, or are they just Geelong fan boys who just want to improve their list with elite talent at little to no cost ?? Today on AFL.com there is an article regarding what clubs should do with their 'Over 30 years of age' players. Sure enough Gaz is on the list and regarding him they wrote, and I quote, "The champion midfielder's future is up in the air. Now 33, Ablett has a year to run on his contract but will again ask to be traded to Geelong at season's end. The Suns could refuse, but if the Cats come up with a fair package, it's likely to be the end of Ablett's time on the Coast". This, along with several other articles I have seen, along with the media commentary on any of the popular footy shows, all revolve around getting Gaz back to Geelong. Zero is said about the Suns and our state of affairs, and what he means to our club. The Cats aren't capable of coming up with a "fair package" for us to even entertain the thought of trading Gaz. Steven Motlop and Jake Kolodjashnij are not players we need and in my opinion aren't up to AFL standard, so Geelong can do what they want with them, just don't try trade them to us.

I worry that the noise and reverberations within the AFL media regarding Gary Ablett will continue to get louder to try and force our hand in trading him to Geelong. And I really, really hope our club draws a line in the sand, and either tries to get overs in a trade, or holds him to his contract. We can't let an opponent of ours get stronger at our expense while we languish down the bottom of the ladder with no real light at the end of the tunnel.

First there was trial by media. now it's trade by media. It sucks and I hope it doesn't eventuate, but the AFL is vic-centric, and it's just another aspect of the game that is unequal when they talk about equalisation.

I don't know how they'll be able to afford him TBH and stay under the salary cap, unless he takes a massive pay cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back