List Mgmt. Farewell Ablett - Officially back to the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Geelong really be able to pick up Ablett, especially after Scott got rid of all the veterans such as Kelly, Stokes, Johnson, Bartel, Enright. I doubt they would get a 32 year old who is injury prone, even if it is a good coming home story. My pick is he will retire at seasons end

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel sorry for GC supporters who need to decide how they feel about something while having no information about what's actually going on.

In a situation like this with such big dollars & a big name player you guys are owed more of an explantation than personal reasons.

If you want people to be in your corner you probably need to come out n tell everyone what's going on as hard as that might be.

Jason day has done it recently & got nothing but respect from the industry. Whereas journo will prob be hassling Gary all year about this. Plus more rumours & speculation will fly around some will be true & most will be BS but it can't be helpful to the situation.

I disagree. He is contracted with a huge price tag, one that Geelong cannot afford to take over.

They need us to rip up the contract or pay a huge portion of its value next season. We won't do that for peanuts. We don't need to do anything. We control the entire trade.

Cats give up something worthy for our club or his contract stands.

They believe they need Gaz to win a premiership next season. That costs you in trade.

We ask for a best 22 player like Jake Kolo. Let's see how serious the Cats are then.

That is assuming Geelong are desperate to get Jnr. down to KP next year which we are not. It's no skin off our nose if Jnr doesn't play for us in 2018, whereas it's fair to say that it is in the best interest of both GC and Jnr to get a deal done because the alternatives are catastrophic (no pun intended) for both of those parties.

1. If Jnr retires next year you're burdened with a $1 million dollar contract hole in your salary cap. I'm going to guess those in charge at GC would want to avoid that at all cost as there are better ways to make use of that money (i.e attracting quality young free agents).

2. Gary continues to be a GC player reluctantly in 2018. He keeps on delivering subpar performances, altercations with teammates (i.e. why don't you block for us for once? etc..) pop up more frequently and bad publicity for the GC follows something the AFL would want to avoid I'm sure.

This puts Geelong in the driver's seat, our club would actually be doing you a favour relieving the GC of a player who clearly doesn't want to be there (on a massive contract no less) and is not 'earning' the amount of money he has signed for.

If someone like Mitchell who is still in excellent nick and playing close to his peak best only commands a pick in the 80s then Jnr should practically be offered to us on a silver platter because we're certainly not giving up anything of value for someone who is quite clearly past his physical best and may not even last a whole year.

That is assuming Geelong are desperate to get Jnr. down to KP next year which we are not. It's no skin off our nose if Jnr doesn't play for us in 2018, whereas it's fair to say that it is in the best interest of both GC and Jnr to get a deal done because the alternatives are catastrophic (no pun intended) for both of those parties.

1. If Jnr retires next year you're burdened with a $1 million dollar contract hole in your salary cap. I'm going to guess those in charge at GC would want to avoid that at all cost as there are better ways to make use of that money (i.e attracting quality young free agents).

2. Gary continues to be a GC player reluctantly in 2018. He keeps on delivering subpar performances, altercations with teammates (i.e. why don't you block for us for once? etc..) pop up more frequently and bad publicity for the GC follows something the AFL would want to avoid I'm sure.

This puts Geelong in the driver's seat, our club would actually be doing you a favour relieving the GC of a player who clearly doesn't want to be there (on a massive contract no less) and is not 'earning' the amount of money he has signed for.

If someone like Mitchell who is still in excellent nick and playing close to his peak best only commands a pick in the 80s then Jnr should practically be offered to us on a silver platter because we're certainly not giving up anything of value for someone who is quite clearly past his physical best and may not even last a whole year.

I'm not buying that. He was great considering where he has come from injury wise the week before. And on Saturday he was one of about 20 players who were ordinary. To say he is playing without care or interest is insulting to us as a club and to Gary himself. Which is a little bit disrespectful

I don't think this is even remotely close to the Hawthorne situation. They had an ageing list, salary cap pressure and the want to trade in 2 younger gun players in the trade period. Plus the move was suggested by the coach. Absolutely none of that applies in this situation.

Salary cap relief sounds wonderful in theory but they would actually need something to spend it on first. Without a declaration from a young gun player seeking to go to the GC all they can do with an extra mill than planned is front end some contracts. Not overly exciting & look what happened to Gibbs when he got past his front loaded years...

The GC only need to look after it's members, not geelong or G Ablett. So there needs to be something in it for them that they can positively sell to theese guys or what's the point.

I don't think this is even remotely close to the Hawthorne situation. They had an ageing list, salary cap pressure and the want to trade in 2 younger gun players in the trade period. Plus the move was suggested by the coach. Absolutely none of that applies in this situation.

Salary cap relief sounds wonderful in theory but they would actually need something to spend it on first. Without a declaration from a young gun player seeking to go to the GC all they can do with an extra mill than planned is front end some contracts. Not overly exciting & look what happened to Gibbs when he got past his front loaded years...

The GC only need to look after it's members, not geelong or G Ablett. So there needs to be something in it for them that they can positively sell to theese guys or what's the point.

Look what happen to Gaz when he got his contract front loaded :rolleyes:

Look what happen to Gaz when he got his contract front loaded :rolleyes:
Any idea what his contract is at the moment?

I think front loading is the new risk in list management. Money you've already earnt gets forgotten about. Money you will make seems more important. If you will make 300k & you get an offer of 600k geez it seems worth moving for.

Basically clubs can make offers around a players actual value & still poach them

The Krakour

nice try

Bottom line for me: if Gaz plays well for most of the year, especially if he kicks 30 goals +, he will most likely be playing somewhere next year.

And I doubt that the Suns would be playing hard ball on this and the trade cost would not be high. He is old now, no longer a player we have to keep (only contracted for 2018), he has done a huge amount for the club, and there are personal issues at the heart of it.

Most importantly, the club will be planning for this right now. The end of last year was the absolute worst time to spring it on the club. If it can be done it will be done.

Getting his $ off the cap would actually help us. We have a bucket load of younger players that we do want to keep and if we can save coin in 2018 we can spend it in 2019. Tom Lynch is one coming out of contract at the end of 2018.

If it is the Cats there are clearly ways to manage the $ under the AFL rules. Not easy but can be done.

All this talk about him not being worth it for the Cats? Gaz back to the Cats for a year or 2 would be worth many $. Many $ in exposure and many $ in better TV games.

But first he has to show something on the field.

Listened to this and thought exactly the same thing. Robbo and Derm pretty much reflected my views on the matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom line for me: if Gaz plays well for most of the year, especially if he kicks 30 goals +, he will most likely be playing somewhere next year.

And I doubt that the Suns would be playing hard ball on this and the trade cost would not be high. He is old now, no longer a player we have to keep (only contracted for 2018), he has done a huge amount for the club, and there are personal issues at the heart of it.

Most importantly, the club will be planning for this right now. The end of last year was the absolute worst time to spring it on the club. If it can be done it will be done.

Getting his $ off the cap would actually help us. We have a bucket load of younger players that we do want to keep and if we can save coin in 2018 we can spend it in 2019. Tom Lynch is one coming out of contract at the end of 2018.

If it is the Cats there are clearly ways to manage the $ under the AFL rules. Not easy but can be done.

All this talk about him not being worth it for the Cats? Gaz back to the Cats for a year or 2 would be worth many $. Many $ in exposure and many $ in better TV games.

But first he has to show something on the field.

I can stomach him leaving at the end of the year.

I can't stomach the Suns continuing to pay him any of his big salary when i) we want him still ii) we won't get anything of value for him and iii) we are letting him go on compassionate grounds.

If he leaves he leaves to get paid whatever Geelong are willing to give him.

So for those of us that can't listen to this, what's the reason he wants to go home?

Apparently it's his sister whose not in a good way - no specifics given. I think Robbo and Huddo felt bad that they were saying something that people might not already know about.

The thing I liked was Derm and Robbo was they looked at it from Gold Coast's point of view - why is he doing a paid interview when he won't mention anything on the radio in the morning? The fact that he's taken a lot of money from the club over the years? If it's such a big issue that's going on why is he still up on the Gold Coast and playing? Why hasn't he just retired already?

Apparently it's his sister whose not in a good way - no specifics given. I think Robbo and Huddo felt bad that they were saying something that people might not already know about.

The thing I liked was Derm and Robbo was they looked at it from Gold Coast's point of view - why is he doing a paid interview when he won't mention anything on the radio in the morning? The fact that he's taken a lot of money from the club over the years? If it's such a big issue that's going on why is he still up on the Gold Coast and playing? Why hasn't he just retired already?

Why hasn't he just retired already?
He probably still thinks he has another 3 or 4 years left in him (or another 2 or 3 after his current GC contract finishes) hence why he's steadfast in wanting to return to Geelong and not just retire.

Footballers rarely ever retire willingly and Jnr is no different in that regard in that he genuinely believes he could still play until he's 36/37 even though his form suggests he'd be lucky to get a contract beyond 2018 based purely on his inability to keep up with the pace of younger players.

He probably still thinks he has another 3 or 4 years left in him (or another 2 or 3 after his current GC contract finishes) hence why he's steadfast in wanting to return to Geelong and not just retire.

Footballers rarely ever retire willingly and Jnr is no different in that regard in that he genuinely believes he could still play until he's 36/37 even though his form suggests he'd be lucky to get a contract beyond 2018 based purely on his inability to keep up with the pace of younger players.

Just wants to have his cake and eat it too

His manager Pickers is very sheepish on the whole topic - loves to get on the front foot when he has leverage in deals and keeping quiet on this when he knows getting what his client wants depends very much on how hospitable we are

I can stomach him leaving at the end of the year.

I can't stomach the Suns continuing to pay him any of his big salary when i) we want him still ii) we won't get anything of value for him and iii) we are letting him go on compassionate grounds.

If he leaves he leaves to get paid whatever Geelong are willing to give him.

For mine the number one goal for the suns should be to get him off the payroll and use that extra cash to get experienced guys who want to be there and can help your young guns grow as players.

If gary chooses to retire he wont be paid his full million for that year maybe a retirement package if negotiated but No industry in the world pays you you're expected yearly earnings if you retire.

How about j Kolo and we can sweeten the deal with a second rounder,

I have no idea if he wants to go , some brother are happy to be apart , but if that type of deal was raised id say Geelong would look at it..especially when they have brought in 2e , have Thurlow back from knee and Stewart. My impression is that although there is the usual banter between us supporter groups , there is now some workable history between the two clubs , and that Geelong rarely tries to come out be hardnosed in any dealings... it prefers to establish relationships that are cordial. For GC id imagine that its essential that you walk away with head high , at min a debatable win from any trade. Its for this reason I do not see any Lewis or Mitchell type deal. Something like that jk trade you have proposed is what we will end up with.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for GC supporters who need to decide how they feel about something while having no information about what's actually going on.

In a situation like this with such big dollars & a big name player you guys are owed more of an explantation than personal reasons.

If you want people to be in your corner you probably need to come out n tell everyone what's going on as hard as that might be.

Jason day has done it recently & got nothing but respect from the industry. Whereas journo will prob be hassling Gary all year about this. Plus more rumours & speculation will fly around some will be true & most will be BS but it can't be helpful to the situation.
Nup. That whole mentality that he owes us a detailed explanation is ridiculous. He is entitled to a personal life as is his family. Jason day told the media his mum was dying and thats incredibly sad and thats how he chose to deal with it but if one of Abletts family members is going through something difficult and private then how devastating to have that spread across the media, to be dissected and mocked by the keyboard warriors. We the public love a good bit of goss, people are salivating to know the juicy details and he hasn't provided them so they turn on him. He plays for us, he doesnt belong to us. All he owes us is his best on the field and he has given that except for ONE bad day.

there are some reports that Jordan has been living in Melbourne since September, anyone know the truth, we havent seen her or her car since about then either, some said they were moving to a smaller house closer to the beach but this hasnt happened either...anyone know the actual truth of where she is living? be bloody hard for GAZ if she is living there being newly married

there are some reports that Jordan has been living in Melbourne since September, anyone know the truth, we havent seen her or her car since about then either, some said they were moving to a smaller house closer to the beach but this hasnt happened either...anyone know the actual truth of where she is living? be bloody hard for GAZ if she is living there being newly married
Cant believe they didn't come to an agreement before they were married!!!

I might stay with the Suns: Ablett

Michael Whiting April 11, 2017 1:32 PM
500247-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

GARY Ablett says he's still a chance to play at Gold Coast in 2018.

Ablett asked for a trade back to Victoria at the end of last season and reiterated last week he could either do the same again in six months or possibly retire.

But speaking to a packed media conference on Tuesday afternoon, the two-time Brownlow medallist said he could still see out the final 18 months of his contract with the Suns.

"Without a doubt. If we can work thorugh some of the things that are going on off-field - I don't know what that looks like and it's not something I want to open up about in this type of setting - but if we can work through that, I'm really enjoying myself up here," Ablett said.

"It's not something I want to think too long term, I just really want to focus on this year."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back