Gary Ablett Senior - Acquired Brain Injury During Playing Career

Sad news with Gary Ablett Snr speaking out about his brain damage.

It also begs the question just how many players have suffered acquired brain injuries during their career. Frawley & Platten just a few from that era too that have since spoken out or tragically lost their life.

a great era of footy but the cost is high

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
rick james cocaine GIF

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

It also begs the question just how many players have suffered acquired brain injuries during their career. Frawley & Platten just a few from that era too that have since spoken out or tragically lost their life.

That article is paywalled , any chance of a summary or some screen grabs please?

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That article is paywalled , any chance of a summary or some screen grabs please?

Gary Ablett Sr speaks for first time publicly on significant brain damage from AFL career​

AFL legend Gary Ablett Sr has revealed a diagnosis of “significant structural and functional brain damage” from his storied 248-game career.

Ablett, 61, spoke for the first time publicly of “headaches and skull pressure” in 2010, a condition that eventually led to migraines, insomnia, blurred vision, significant memory loss, anxiety, fatigue and severe depression.

Having read of the increasing number of cases afflicting former AFL players, Ablett underwent a MEG scan in November last year at the Swinburne Neuroimaging Facility, the same used by US military at an accuracy rate estimated at over 90 per cent.

“I began getting headaches and pressure in the top of my skull around 2010, initially a few days a week. It then led to depression, anxiety and extreme fatigue. Under the advice of doctors I then had numerous scans to try and find the cause of headaches and skull pressure. Those type of scans couldn’t pick up CTE so in a way it’s relieving to at least have identified the problem,” said Ablett.

“From 2015 onwards, and almost every day, there were signs that things had changed, then about 12 months ago I started getting symptoms that alarmed me to the point where I contacted Peter Jess (Ablett’s former manager), whom I’m aware has been a concussion advocate for a number of past players.

Gary Ablett Snr has revealed a diagnosis of brain damage. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
Gary Ablett Snr has revealed a diagnosis of brain damage. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Ablett holds his head after a fierce clash with Gary Ayres in the 1989 Grand Final. Picture: Craig Borrow
Ablett holds his head after a fierce clash with Gary Ayres in the 1989 Grand Final. Picture: Craig Borrow

“I told him of my concerns and Peter helped organise an MEG scan that American Military use. It showed I have significant structural and functional brain damage.

“I’ve since been seeing a Psychiatrist named Dr John Perica once a month and receiving some new medical treatment that’s been helping reduce the headaches and improving my mood.”

Ablett, who kicked 1025 goals with Geelong between 1984-1996, had been involved with helping provide meals for the needy on Geelong’s surf coast, but in recent months has been unable to work.

He then approached the AFL Players Association for financial assistance but his requests have been met with silence: “After providing them with all the information four months ago they just started avoiding me and not getting back to me which I find extremely disappointing and disrespectful.

“I feel I made a significant contribution to the game over 16 years of VFL and AFL football so it seems I’m not the only one with memory problems. And while I certainly don’t want to bring the game into disrepute or damage the image of the game, I’m really wanting to reveal these issues more for awareness and other players who may be experiencing the same problems.

“I acknowledge the AFL have done a tremendous job in cleaning up the game and minimising head contact and knocks as much as possible however back when I played head knocks and injuries were far more common.

“Obviously I was a very physical player and while I only got totally knocked out 8-10 times, I experienced being semi-concussed, such as ears ringing and out of it for a few minutes many dozens of times, but because you weren’t knocked completely out you wouldn’t even bother mentioning it.”

Gary Ablett says he was knocked out 8-10 times.

Gary Ablett says he was knocked out 8-10 times.

Ablett in 1995. Picture: Getty Images

Ablett in 1995. Picture: Getty Images

Peter Jess, the concussion crusader who has led the charge in recent years, points to the AFL’s lack of help to Ablett as reason why the issue should be taken out of their hands.

“Clearly we need to separate the AFL’s oversight of health and welfare to an independent body of brain trauma experts to address what is a national sporting crisis,” said Jess.

“It requires collaboration of governments at all levels to fund a program. The two biggest biomedical centres in the NIH and CDC have publicly confirmed that repetitive collisions lead to CTE.

“If properly addressed some of these collisions are preventable but the AFL has sadly failed, meaning the decision-making process of the AFL needs to be made more accountable at every level.

“Gary Ablett’s scan showed structural and functional damage, and that should be paid for by the AFL I contacted them and received a letter asking why should they fund the scan?

“The AFL is good at putting the game on but horrible at looking after the welfare of their past and current players, no better demonstrated than wasting $25 million on a retrospective study that everybody knew what the outcome would be, which was if you play football you are a chance to suffer brain damage.
“What we need to do is spend $25 million on finding ways to prevent concussion, such as the University of Cincinnati has done via a concussion prevention program where they have reduced concussion by 80 per cent in collision sports played on their campus.”

The AFLPA was unavailable for comment when contacted yesterday, but has previously refused to discuss specific cases.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Not too mention all the local footballers from that era.

Not too mention all the local footballers from that era.

I wonder how many of them have issues that are not correctly diagnosed due to them not having made the big time. I suspect a lot of neurodegeneration has just been attributed to "blokes getting old."

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
I wonder how many of them have issues that are not correctly diagnosed due to them not having made the big time. I suspect a lot of neurodegeneration has just been attributed to "blokes getting old."
I was knocked out at least 3 times in under 15's and under 17's, always went straight back on as did all players and also knocked out a few more times in general life, Im 60 this year and so far seem to have my wits about me but it seems to affect people differently.

We need to put a lot more money into research in these areas but in reality life is a risk, I wouldnt have liked it if I wasnt able too play contact sports, people now fully understand the risks so have to make a decision if they want to take the risk of concussion in a contact sport or not, at this stage there is no way to completely erradicate concussion if you have heavy contact.

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
does heroin usage not also have an effect on the brain?
Think its impact is different to what is seen in CTE type damage .

Repeated heroin use changes the physical structure13 and physiology of the brain, creating long-term imbalances in neuronal and hormonal systems that are not easily reversed.14,15 Studies have shown some deterioration of the brain’s white matter due to heroin use, which may affect decision-making abilities, the ability to regulate behavior, and responses to stressful situations

Back