Rumour Gary Ablett Senior to be inducted into the Hall of Fame as a Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

Should've been in years ago, one of the true greats of the game.

AFL is a reflection of society, which has many troubled humans, our greatest ever footballers shouldn't be kept out of deserved awards because they are troubled humans.

I'd feel sick in the guts if it happened.
Needs another 10 years at least

From what the footy show is saying Jonathon Brown is announcing the legend then bringing the person to be interviewed on the footy show.

Gary Ablett SNR... interview on the footy show?

Monkeys might fly out of my butt. Won't be him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would seem it not going to happen for a long time.. maybe not in his life time. If so then whats the point. In 50 years if they admit him are they going to explain why it took so long?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/05fd7e820cddef5bcf0385351a0d5596

No one knows how long that will be, but it will not be now. Maybe not for 10 years, 20 years, maybe not for 50 years.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/05fd7e820cddef5bcf0385351a0d5596

He probably dislikes the idea of being asked to attend this monkeysuit chinwagg anyway... has never attended it. Unlike for some he probably would really dislike the function of attending and mixing and talking and questions and reminiscing ... but his exclusion really shows flaw in the concept for mine. It lessens the concept .. if he is such a poor character then perhaps they should never show any of his football , never mention his name again... yet they don't mind it when it suits their purposes. At what point do we say of that was bad but that thing was not quite as bad... He can be in..but he can not.

In the end I would ask is Ablett a legend? Does he need to be sanctioned as a legend to be a legend? He probably would not care..but if Carey and other get put in and he does not ..to me it makes the whole concept a bit hypocritical.

The NFL hall of fame has troubled characters , at what point can you separate the personal troubled lives of the players with their status and impact on the game.

As mentioned it’s very hypocritical that you have Carery in it and provided him a lucrative media career , but continue to shun Gaz for his past sins.

Either induct him as a legend or don’t mention him again ...it’s that simple to me....in any case I really don’t rate the whole HOF/Legend thing anyway far too many players inducted that I don’t agree with and it appears anyone can be in THE HOF anyway.

It would seem it not going to happen for a long time.. maybe not in his life time. If so then whats the point. In 50 years if they admit him are they going to explain why it took so long?

No one knows how long that will be, but it will not be now. Maybe not for 10 years, 20 years, maybe not for 50 years.

He probably dislikes the idea of being asked to attend this monkeysuit chinwagg anyway... has never attended it. Unlike for some he probably would really dislike the function of attending and mixing and talking and questions and reminiscing ... but his exclusion really shows flaw in the concept for mine. It lessens the concept .. if he is such a poor character then perhaps they should never show any of his football , never mention his name again... yet they don't mind it when it suits their purposes. At what point do we say of that was bad but that thing was not quite as bad... He can be in..but he can not.

In the end I would ask is Ablett a legend? Does he need to be sanctioned as a legend to be a legend? He probably would not care..but if Carey and other get put in and he does not ..to me it makes the whole concept a bit hypocritical.
its all afl propaganda
is the award for community service or sheer football ability
as lou was not elevated as he was not a great player
but sheedy was not an elite player or coach

the afl needs to award on its field of play, and these community awards should be left for others

do we care about rooney's sex life or beckham's sex life
NO
its about their ability and what they have done in their sport

much like the brownlow
fairest and best, but we wont suspend you as you are going to win the award

its all afl propaganda

the afl needs to award on its field of play, and these community awards should be left for others

NO

much like the brownlow
Agree 100%

Legend of the GAME

Robbo reckons Carey will be the next legend. Fair enough, but it’s not like Carey doesn’t have baggage.

Leigh Matthews is already a legend. Again, fair enough. But he is still THE only VFL/AFL player ever to be charged by police with an offence on the field

its all afl propaganda

NO

much like the brownlow

Come on history says he is in the elite as a coach. To coach one Flag is more than most do.

Last edited:
Agree 100%

Legend of the GAME

Robbo reckons Carey will be the next legend. Fair enough, but it’s not like Carey doesn’t have baggage.

Leigh Matthews is already a legend. Again, fair enough. But he is still THE only VFL/AFL player ever to be charged by police with an offence on the field
I think it is reasonable to take into consideration the idea of who we hold up as being a "legend", a person worth celebrating. It's reasonable to consider the AFL's responsibilities to broader society in who they choose to elevate.

There is room for nuance and judgement in judging this. At one extreme, you wouldn't give a damn if someone was arrested for, say, shoplifting, but at the other hypothetical ridiculous extreme, you wouldn't induct a murderer. My point is that not all personal "baggage" is on the same level and can't just be written off en masse.

Matthews' indiscretions - and even things that the Duck did - weren't a patch on what Gary has done throughout his life. Matthews king-hit somebody on a football field behind the play and threw plenty of elbows within it - an awful thing to do, sure, but set within the context of a violent game, not as bad as the other two people mentioned.

Carey was part of an extramarital affair which ripped his club apart, and, far worse in my opinion, smashed a wine glass in his girlfriend's face, then kicked a police officer in the face when they came calling.

Ablett is being investigated on sexual assault charges, was convicted of assaulting a man who he saw with his ex-wife in a car, and a girl half his age died on a massive drug binge in his hotel room. That is far beyond anything that Carey did, and so far beyond the history of Leigh Matthews that it's almost beyond comparison, IMO. Everyone knows that Ablett Sr is one of the best players to ever play the game, and that won't be affected by whether he is inducted or otherwise, but he should not have the title "Legend" bestowed on him, out of respect for those so affected by the course of his life.

He was elite as a coach. Four flags, with three different sides - he was elite.

The only knock I'd put on Sheedy as a coach is the one that Robert Walls correctly identified: he never really had to do it tough as a coach, and was always at resource-rich clubs. I include GWS in that, because nobody had expectations on them in his year coaching GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back