Opinion Gary Ablett Senior

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t even know why the character thing comes into it, if its an honour for their exploits playing the game. Just because of what happened with ablett doesn’t change the fact he was one of the best players to ever play the game.

Hard to draw the line but hate to see us reward players who have done wrong like Ablett, Carey, Cousins, Bomber and Hird.
I draw the line at football careers. You've just listed 3 of the top 10 players of all time. If they don't make it to Legendary status, the whole thing is plastic. Legends are "those who have had a significant positive impact on the GAME OF AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL.." This is a game.

Last edited:
I draw the line at football careers. You've just listed 3 of the top 10 players of all time. If they don't make it to Legendary status, the whole thing is plastic. Legends are "those who have had a significant positive impact on the GAME OF AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL.." This is a game.
Unfortunately or fortunately - depending on your predilection - the criteria are much broader than that.

The problem is those in position of power have long moved past the idea that they are purely sports admin button pushers ... when we have pink rounds and cultural rounds and womens sports with life choice advocates and social impacts etc etc..
their focus has become so much the way the Apple Pie looks.. the golden crust , the curled edge and far less do they care about the taste and if the apple is sweet or even cooked.

Jumpy .. the line will become blurred at some stage ..its only a matter finding the criteria ...
Exactly! Is it only violence against women, or does violence against men count too?
That's only one of scores of lines that could be blurred.
You put things very well in your previous posts on what could/couldn't be acceptable in the future, as well as moral judgments etc

Are they? I was quoting an AFL inductees site. Maybe that was a precis.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/event-news/hall-of-fame/legends

You may be right ...or then again...maybe its a bit like finding the Mess Hall...

It should be as you say ..about the game ...

Are they? I was quoting an AFL inductees site. Maybe that was a precis.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/event-news/hall-of-fame/legends
Do you think that because there are certain restrictions on the number of Hall of Famers who can be elevated to Legend status that if there is a bees diaphragm separating a number that character may just possibly enter the equation? Think I read somewhere where a catchall phrase like having a particularly significant positive impact on the game was a broad consideration by the committee.

I'm sure senior will make it one day. Just that in my view his off field persona has been an impediment when the calls are close.

Those three have met the bolded criteria easily but it's obvious their not legends because of their wrongdoings, and that's the way it should be.

Do you think that because there are certain restrictions on the number of Hall of Famers who can be elevated to Legend status that if there is a bees diaphragm separating a number that character may just possibly enter the equation? Think I read somewhere where a catchall phrase like having a particularly significant positive impact on the game was a broad consideration by the committee.

I'm sure senior will make it one day. Just that in my view his off field persona has been an impediment when the calls are close.
I seriously think , as a player, he has made the MOST significant contribution to AFL by heaps.
Firstly, his own contribution as a player puts him as arguably perhaps GOAT, maybe #2. I don't need to say that people from all teams came to watch him every week.
Secondly, his contribution in producing GAJ is massive.
Those 2 contributions are understated.
Clearly, he will never have any involvement as a coach or administrator, and those areas may be limitations.

His personal issues are known by all of us, but it's not as if he is a repeat offender, and it's not as if he has not tried to rehabilitate himself, albeit by his Christian faith and practice thereof.

Last edited:
I seriously think he has made the MOST significant contribution to AFL by heaps.
Firstly, his own contribution as a player puts him as arguably perhaps GOAT, maybe #2. I don't need to say that people from all teams came to watch him every week.

His personal issues are known by all of us, but it's not as if he is a repeat offender, and it's not as if he has not tried to rehabilitate himself, albeit by his Christian faith and practice thereof.
Yep. His contribution to the game, and the attention, crowds and viewers he bought to a competion that was really struggling in the 80's then had established and consolidated itself by the time he retired is huge.
It's no joke! In State of Origin games before and during early Eagles and Crows expansion he was the showcase of our competition. They all knew Ablett.
I knew and met a lot of people at that time who said, I don't care about the footy, I just-2turn it on to see how many Ablett's kicked.
I think more respect should go to someone who does feel ashamed and wants to stay away than a repeat offender with continued fake apologies given just to further their career.

Yep. His contribution to the game, and the attention, crowds and viewers he bought to a competion that was really struggling in the 80's then had established and consolidated itself by the time he retired is huge.
It's no joke! In State of Origin games before and during early Eagles and Crows expansion he was the showcase of our competition. They all knew Ablett.
I knew and met a lot of people at that time who said, I don't care about the footy, I just-2turn it on to see how many Ablett's kicked.
I think more respect should go to someone who does feel ashamed and wants to stay away than a repeat offender with continued fake apologies given just to further their career.
Don't know how many times we went to the G when GAS was playing and people (non Cats) would say "we're just here to see Ablett"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know how many times we went to the G when GAS was playing and people (non Cats) would say "we're just here to see Ablett"
Yeah for sure. It was crazy.
Do you remember all the busses from country Vic that used to park behind the old Hickey Stand? All Gaz.
I lived in country NSW 10 years after he retired and Gaz snr was the only AFL player a lot of people knew. (Till Ben Cousin's shenanigans)

I seriously think , as a player, he has made the MOST significant contribution to AFL by heaps.
Clearly, he will never have any involvement as a coach or administrator, and those areas may be limitations.

He's the best player I've seen and I hope - and believe - he will one day be a Legend. However, when the calls are close and there are limitations placed on the numbers to be elevated it's understandable that other matters - rightly or wrongly - come into play.

Playing the Devil's Advocate, he has lapsed more than once when it comes to adherence to his faith. And to the best of my knowledge he hasn't really warmed the cockles of the hearts of those who decide by 'putting back' in football terms. Seem to recall the Cats offering him mentoring and community roles early on and him rejecting them.

Snr's only crime is 23 years on he's still larger than life and would draw Trump like press if nominated,The AFL don't have the balls to do the right thing.
Another one who's hit the nail on the head.
They don't care about the football merits, just the potential squeaks from all the braindead non-football w***ers responding to the Hun's inevitable 37th "exclusive" interview with the girl's father.

Snr's only crime is 23 years on he's still larger than life and would draw Trump like press if nominated,The AFL don't have the balls to do the right thing.
Alicia's parents think the AFL are doing the right thing, would like to see how you viewed it if it was your daughter.

They are entitled to their point of view.
But it's utterly irrelevant, and should be treated as such.
BS, even the majority of football loving people would be against it, like I said best footballer but a s**t for brains person.

I find it instructive that the first, biggest, best and most highly-regarded sports pantheon, the Baseball Hall of Fame, is (a) truly independent of the sport's governing bodies, and (b) has never had or even contemplated having any criteria apart from excellence in the sport.

* with the one exception of excluding players who recived life bans from the sport for breaking the rules of the sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back