Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of Geelong fans saying he's worth nothing or Suns will take what they get given

Lots of opposition fans saying Cats need to make it worth the Suns while to trade him

Hmmmm.... which of those groups are likely to be biased or unrealistic......hmmmmm

But I think most Geelong supporters are being realistic. And that is Geelong won't give Gold Coast much. Regardless of what his actual worth is, GC will have to accept unders to trade him. It's not really about being bias, those are simply the facts.

I just don't think the trade will happen for those reasons. Gold Coast will want something Geelong isn't prepared to give and that is that. I am surprised Chris Scott has even entertained the idea to be frank; he wasn't there when Ablett was and neither were most of the players, and he is no stranger to dismissing older players. I suspect it's mostly the media and us making a bigger deal about this then it actually is

I think Geelong will end up giving up a future pick for him unless they get something suitable in this year during trade period, the constant gibberish about him only being worth a late pick isn't worth the chatter as it's pretty obvious the GC aren't going to accept a 30+ pick for him as it's not in the clubs interest. I think the deal will deff et done but it's not going to be for peanuts as all these Geelong supporters expect

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Geelong will end up giving up a future pick for him unless they get something suitable in this year during trade period, the constant gibberish about him only being worth a late pick isn't worth the chatter as it's pretty obvious the GC aren't going to accept a 30+ pick for him as it's not in the clubs interest. I think the deal will deff et done but it's not going to be for peanuts as all these Geelong supporters expect

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So future second rounder? No way they would give up a first round pick.

So future second rounder? No way they would give up a first round pick.

Probably about right

GC might even propose trying to swap Gaz + an early 2017 2nd rd pick for a 2018 1st rd pick to spread their picks out over a couple of years

No I'm not. :)

Sure there must be disappointment on both sides which is part of the reason Gary wants to welsh on his contract.

The point is, if you think Gary and GC enjoy the same level of mutual goodwill as the Hawks and Sam Mitchell you really need to take your Geelong lenses off.

GC don't owe Gary anything. They certainly don't have an obligation to be shafted by him. Gary being Gary I can see him playing just enough games next season to get the lions share of his final year contract and then retire early.
Know Gary well do you? You take great delight in assassinating his character.

Do YOU not see that Gary Ablett Jnr has delivered what was asked of him and paid for? That being quality on field performance? Do YOU not see that he wasn't paid to recruit, manage, develop, coach or monitor the rest of the list or club?

Just because you clearly have a personal dislike of the man, doesn't mean he hasn't earned every cent of what he's been paid. And the money he's been paid, or the contract he's on don't make him any less within his grounds to ask for a trade. The Suns are not obligated to fulfil his request, but that doesn't mean he can't ask. He's not even the first contracted this year to request a trade, and he won't be the last.

Which also cracks me up here. It's ok for clubs to move players or coaches on whenever they like, no matter whether they're contracted or not, but when it goes the other way, suddenly that contract is a blood oath.

I have no problem with GCS holding him to his contract if a fair trade cannot be negotiated. What's fair is for the clubs to decide, not anyone else.

Next you'll be claiming that a glass of water has the same value to a drowning man as it does to a man lost in the desert.

You've bungled it - be big enough to admit it.
What I was trying to say was....if you or I pick up a dollar on the street, it doesn't matter how much money either of us has got, if we both walk Into a milk bar, that dollar won't buy either of us any more or less mixed lollies based on our net worth.

Where I've most certainly ****ed up commenting on the worth of picks is that GC are on the record as saying they don't want any for him, or certainly the picks we hold. So on that basis, offering picks is pointless and worthless because they won't get the deal done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of Geelong fans saying he's worth nothing or Suns will take what they get given

Lots of opposition fans saying Cats need to make it worth the Suns while to trade him

Hmmmm.... which of those groups are likely to be biased or unrealistic......hmmmmm
Loads of Suns fans fail to grasp that trading a first round draft selection or best 22 player for a 33yo is daft. Find examples of it happening in the past. You can’t.

Play hard ball for all I care. Watch him retire and we come out no worse off than when we started.

Probably about right

GC might even propose trying to swap Gaz + an early 2017 2nd rd pick for a 2018 1st rd pick to spread their picks out over a couple of years
Doubt we do that either. Future first rounder may be in play for Stringer and that means we’d be not allowed to trade any other 2018 pick, and if we don’t we’ll need points for next year with Father/Sons on the horizon.

The rule that begins in 2019?
Re-starts in 2019, current 4 yr block was already underway until Geelong pretended to act stupid and say they didn't understand them and the AFL pretended to believe them, if Ablett ends up back at the cats for a 1st rounder then we all know why the current block was cancelled.

Loads of Suns fans fail to grasp that trading a first round draft selection or best 22 player for a 33yo is daft. Find examples of it happening in the past. You can’t.

Play hard ball for all I care. Watch him retire and we come out no worse off than when we started.

You seem unable to grasp that a trade worth nothing to GC is worth nothing.

Play hard ball. Watch him retire and GC come out no worse than when they started.

You seem unable to understand that a trade worth nothing to GC is worth nothing.

Play hard ball. Watch him retire and GC come out no worse than when they started.
Sure they do. They have a dead list spot and Gary will try and use the injury to get s medical retirement so he gets his money still.

so what if it’s worth nothing, is that some magical reason why we should overpay. No it isn’t.

Re-starts in 2019, current 4 yr block was already underway until Geelong pretended to act stupid and say they didn't understand them and the AFL pretended to believe them, if Ablett ends up back at the cats for a 1st rounder then we all know why the current block was cancelled.

Errr no.

Sure they do. They have a dead list spot and Gary will try and use the injury to get s medical retirement so he gets his money still.

Yes he probably would try, he seems like that sort of campaigner - like Lumumba. Whether he succeeds is another question.

so what if it’s worth nothing, is that some magical reason why we should overpay. No it isn’t.

Yeah agreed, you only have to if you want him to play for you.

Know Gary well do you? You take great delight in assassinating his character.

Do YOU not see that Gary Ablett Jnr has delivered what was asked of him and paid for? That being quality on field performance? Do YOU not see that he wasn't paid to recruit, manage, develop, coach or monitor the rest of the list or club?

Just because you clearly have a personal dislike of the man, doesn't mean he hasn't earned every cent of what he's been paid. And the money he's been paid, or the contract he's on don't make him any less within his grounds to ask for a trade. The Suns are not obligated to fulfil his request, but that doesn't mean he can't ask. He's not even the first contracted this year to request a trade, and he won't be the last.

Which also cracks me up here. It's ok for clubs to move players or coaches on whenever they like, no matter whether they're contracted or not, but when it goes the other way, suddenly that contract is a blood oath.

I have no problem with GCS holding him to his contract if a fair trade cannot be negotiated. What's fair is for the clubs to decide, not anyone else.
Clubs can't move contracted players or coaches wherever they want. They have to get the players consent of or payout the contract.

Plenty of players have refused to be part of a deal to facilitate a trade.

Gary would have more leverage if he was younger and GC risked losing him for less a year later. That doesn't really apply here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back