Traded Gary Ablett [traded to Geelong]

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking about in a trade scenario. Will he be eligible for FA?

Gold Coast have shown that they push for the best deal. If they think he is valuable to Geelong they will seek appropriate compensation.

He's not eligible for FA until the end of 2018. So if he goes at the end of this year it would have to be as a trade. I doubt Geelong would trade much for a 33yo with his recent injuries and his salary is a big obstacle. Then there is the question as to how kindly the AFL would look at Ablett trying to take a 2018 paycut to get to Geelong, vis a vis whether they register that contract or not.

So why didn't that happen last year?

I wojuld guess that Ablett's decision being fairly late in the piece didn't give Geelong enough time to free up the money, freeing up a million in the cap means moving on some players and restructuring other contracts which you need a fair bit of lead time to do.

Plus for either club doing a deal involving a guy on that much salary would have been very difficult when both clubs don't know what the new salary cap number will be. 12 months from now that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

He's not eligible for FA until the end of 2018. So if he goes at the end of this year it would have to be as a trade. I doubt Geelong would trade much for a 33yo with his recent injuries and his salary is a big obstacle. Then there is the question as to how kindly the AFL would look at Ablett trying to take a 2018 paycut to get to Geelong, vis a vis whether they register that contract or not.

If Ablett had a good year this year, and the Cats could afford his reduced salary, then he would be really valuable to them. Could be the difference between getting a flag or not. Hard to see the Cats just saying "well if they won't accept our third then I guess it wasn't meant to be". I think he'd be worth more to them than that.

If Ablett is deadset on leaving AND playing on next year, can see us being pretty keen to move him on to free up some cap space to help with retaining players.

And let's be honest, given that he'll be 33 by the time 2017 ends, with 16 seasons and probably over 300 games on the clock, he'll probably be past his use-by date somewhat, at least from a Gold Coast perspective. Obviously they expected to be ahead of where they are now as a club by this stage, which would have made the transition away from Ablett easier, but if he's intent on going, I wouldn't be holding him back.

And let's be honest, given that he'll be 33 by the time 2017 ends, with 16 seasons and probably over 300 games on the clock, he'll probably be past his use-by date somewhat, at least from a Gold Coast perspective. Obviously they expected to be ahead of where they are now as a club by this stage, which would have made the transition away from Ablett easier, but if he's intent on going, I wouldn't be holding him back.
All this would be very true, I would hate if we stood in his way if he wanted to move on.

Gold Coast have shown that they push for the best deal. If they think he is valuable to Geelong they will seek appropriate compensation.
Geelong and the Suns have a good trading history so I don't expect this one to get ugly at all. Remember that they did let Smith go for very little when he decided that he wanted to come here so they have shown that they are willing to be reasonable in certain situations. They could have pushed much harder on that one.

Ablett will be 33 by the end of this season so I don't see the Suns asking for too much for him. They'll just be happy to get rid of the money tied up in his contract IMO. We'll probably upgrade one or two of their picks and that will be about it. I think that it will go quite smoothly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't it always. It's funny how the poor women are trotted out as an excuse.
Well he's selling the house and renting something closer to broady to appease her so he can see out his contract.
It's funny how he signs a 3 year extension and then she comes along and he marries her then the next year he wants to go 'home'

Well he's selling the house and renting something closer to broady to appease her so he can see out his contract.
It's funny how he signs a 3 year extension and then she comes along and he marries her then the next year he wants to go 'home'

So he signed a three year contract extension in 2015, and then she comes along in 2013?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back