Rumour Gary Ayres to Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Just seems to be a limited coach. Not a great thinker etc. Many think even at u18 state level he didn’t adjust to the changes in games tactically etc.
He applied and missed out on the Brisbane and Adelaide roles too.

Freo people also think he was leaking info to the media Hardie and Hagdorn over here while he was under Ross.
Fair enough. Not every coach has to be a great tactician, tactics can come from an assistant coach. Sometimes just being able to build a relationship with the players and getting them to play for you is what's needed from a head coach. But if Suma can't do that either then he doesn't have a lot going for him.

Fair enough. Not every coach has to be a great tactician, tactics can come from an assistant coach. Sometimes just being able to build a relationship with the players and getting them to play for you is what's needed from a head coach. But if Suma can't do that either then he doesn't have a lot going for him.

Yeah I get that. Just not keen.
Would rather they got Justin Longmuir and put some quality around him. Or even someone in an advisory role above him - like Woosha.

Woosha would be great as a mentor for Longmuir. If I were Bell and friends, that would be the setup I'd choose.

I dare say they would have a pretty short lists of names ready to go before pulling the pin on Lyon. Even though they say no one is picked yet, they’d know who they want.

Be an interesting month. Needs to be done fairly quickly, trade period and FA - players want to know who they’re playing for. I’d say the new coach needs to be announced before Finals finish.

Woosha to Freo, Ross to Essendon. Almost makes too much sense.
Mark Harvey may have something to say on that account. Longmuir will get the job at Freo. Some of the stories coming out about staff at Freo not wanting to come into work etc is horrific. They sound like they have some serious issues behind the scenes.

Lyon will be nuisance value next season. Every coach under the pump will be reminded of Ross Lyon. Rest assured if Melb or Carlton have a 0-5 start, they will change coaches. I am backing he will be the next coach at Melbourne. Looks like a good fit.

Man this old school VFL boys club still don't get it.

Nobody wants Ayres. They will re-hire Ross before they talk to Ayres
Don't understand why. He had a reasonable record, and a lot better than some of the coaches appointed in the later years.

Don't understand why. He had a reasonable record, and a lot better than some of the coaches appointed in the later years.
They just fired a egomaniac coach who demands his way or the highway. He's better suited to be the highest paid VFL coach rather then be told what to do in the AFL level.

Not saying he's a bad tactical coach. Just stubborn as hellvand clubs are not interested in an egomaniac who didn't achieve great AFL success. Ask Adelaide and Geelong what they thought of his attitude

Not the right fit for Freo. Going from a rigid coach that refuses to change up his game plan to a coach that has been out of the AFL system for what, nearly 20 years? They’re either better off going for an untried coach with considerable and current assistant coaching experience, or a “youngish” coach with senior exp ie Voss or Ratts.

This isn't a slight on Ayres who has been huge for the Borough boys but it just seems like a horrible sideways move rather than a new approach.

Wouuldn't say it's a certainty but Longmuir just keeps popping up and I'm sure he is the front runner. Bell is a big fan of him and would endorse that 100% like Rosich did with Lyon in 2011.

IF it's true that he has been in the property market in Perth recently than there will be a few nervous WAFL coaches around.

Man this old school VFL boys club still don't get it.

Nobody wants Ayres. They will re-hire Ross before they talk to Ayres

Concur. Ayers was on the Hawks short list of candidates with Clarko and others in 2004 and one the reasons he didn't get the job was the Hawks wanted to avoid another likely Peter Knights disaster....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be sad to lose Longmuir.
It’s a no brainer for Freo. He should be their next coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back