Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cubs Blackhawks Fulham Ivanhoe FC
Fair analysis, except for Broad as a C-grader. There's no way he's not in the best 18 of other clubs.

Vlastuin also too low.

Astbury maybe too high, but at other clubs he would be regarded as an A.
Agree , but he had Chol as untouchable
who I’d happily trade too.
Apart from those small opinion pieces it was a tremendous and glowing tribute to the club as a whole

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Agree , but he had Chol as untouchable
who I’d happily trade too.
Apart from those small opinion pieces it was a tremendous and glowing tribute to the club as a whole

Id happily delist

Harder for me to see games this year. Did he have any games where he showed something. I have enjoyed some of his cameos but I dont see this one working.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
yeah well it depends if we want balta kpd for the future, you need to have short term pain if thats the case
We are short in key back back up. Probably best to keep Balta there in the short term and see how CCJ fits in. But Miller has been on the list a long time and was talked up so he is possibly not far off. Has the tools. But Balta energy around the ball at some stage would be exciting.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Gary Buckenara analyses Richmond’s list after the 2020 season

Richmond is already up there with the great Brisbane and Hawthorn teams of the modern era. And a three-peat is possible.

With three premierships in four years Richmond has created its own dynasty and this team comfortably sits alongside the great Brisbane (2001-2004) and Hawthorn (2012-2015) teams of the modern era.

Winning a three-peat is not out of the question, in fact the Tigers will be premiership contenders for at least the next three years. But as we know, talent alone doesn’t guarantee success so Trent Cotchin, Damien Hardwick and the leaders need to keep the hunger alive, which is one of the great challenges. It’s why those Brisbane and Hawthorn teams are so revered.

This Richmond group has maintained that desire to win and belief in each other and it’s why history will look back on them in the same light as those great sides.

These Tigers players have already entered the history books by winning back-to-back premierships but the opportunity is there to become one of, if not the most successful and decorated team in the club’s history.

What has been most impressive about this group hasn’t been the ability to assemble a team of superstars. It’s been the development and improvement of players who weren’t top draft picks but have become high-quality AFL players. They’re the reason for the sustained success.

While the Tigers have their A-graders like Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards and Tom Lynch, what sets the most successful teams apart from the rest is the strength of the lesser-lights and the guys who are the 15-22 ranked players in the best 22. The improvement from Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Ivan Soldo, Noah Balta, Shai Bolton and Jake Aarts (despite him only playing in the qualifying final) to not only fill roles but become very damaging players has meant there was no drop off when Cotchin, Prestia and Toby Nankervis were injured and Edwards and Bachar Houli weren’t there.

It’s a credit to the recruiting and list management teams who have executed a plan and identified players capable of filling roles in Hardwick’s game style and they’ve done it without having access to high draft picks. Richmond has not had a pick inside the top 12 since 2015. Baker (2017), Short, Soldo (both 2014) and Aarts (2018) were rookie draft picks, Balta was a pick 25 and Bolton was pick 29. Talk about nailing the draft.

Jason Castagna (rookie, 2014), Kane Lambert (rookie, 2014), Marlion Pickett (mid-season draft, 2019), Nathan Broad (pick 67, 2015) and Jack Graham (pick 53, 2016) are other examples of key players who weren’t high draft picks but have become seriously good AFL players.

As much as Hardwick is a great coach and the superstars get the fanfare, a lot of credit for Richmond’s success must go to the recruiting, list management and development staff, as well as the fitness and medical teams who have done a great job to keep the best players on the park. These have been Richmond’s secret weapons.

LIST NEEDS
Riewoldt has just turned 32 and given the success of the Riewoldt-Tom Lynch set-up, and with no real genuine developing key forwards on the list, I’d be looking to draft one or two to begin to plan for life after Riewoldt.

Overall Richmond has a very balanced group and the strength and depth of the list is evident. That means they can target specific experienced players in the trade and free agency periods and continue to stockpile young talent in the draft.

TRADE TARGETS
Richmond isn’t a major player in the trade period, with the focus on keeping this brilliant list together. They were linked early to North Melbourne’s Jared Polec, who’d be a handy get to inject more speed on the wing. If the Kangaroos pay a portion of his contract, Polec would be a potential steal as I can see him playing a valuable role. The Tigers’ quick ball movement would suit him. Unlikely to cost much in a trade.

UNTOUCHABLES
Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Riewoldt, Lynch, Prestia, Baker, Balta, Castagna, Lambert, Pickett, Short, Bolton, Houli, Prestia, David Astbury, Mabior Chol, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Dylan Grimes, Jack Higgins, Daniel Rioli, Ivan Soldo and Nick Vlastuin.

TRADE BAIT
Jack Higgins has been linked to St Kilda and is assessing his options. He’s an extremely talented small forward who I rated as the best small forward/midfielder in his draft in 2017 and had him rated as a top-10 talent, even though he slipped to No.17. He’s an untouchable in my book. He’s obviously had health challenges that have impacted his career so far, so I wouldn’t read much into him being overtaken by the likes of Jake Aarts this year. I still see him playing a valuable role at Richmond and eventually pushing into the midfield and given he’s contracted, it would need to be a compelling trade for the Tigers to consider it. The Saints would need to offer a top-20 pick at a minimum.

Oleg Markov has already found a new home at Gold Coast as he searches for more senior opportunities, while players like Ryan Garthwaite and Jack Ross could attract interest late and be tempted by the offer of more senior games. Ross has impressed me as a big-bodied midfielder who’s handled the pressure of AFL football and a club like Carlton, desperate for this type of player, might inquire but the Tigers will do all they can to keep him.

LIST BREAKDOWN
A-grade: Martin, Lynch, Cotchin, Edwards, Astbury, Grimes, Prestia, Riewoldt

B: Baker, Castagna, Graham, Houli, Lambert, McIntosh, Nankervis, Pickett, Rioli, Short, Soldo, Vlastuin

C: Aarts, Broad, Caddy, Chol, Eggmolesse-Smith, Garthwaite

Developing (with A-B grade potential): Balta, Bolton, Collier-Dawkins, Higgins, Ross, Stack

Developing: Coleman-Jones, Cumberland, Dow, Martyn, Miller, Naish, Nyuon, Ralphsmith

What the ratings mean:

A-grade: Elite player on any AFL list

B: Top 10-18 player on most lists

C: An 18-30 player on a list

Developing: Aged 21 or under

CRYSTAL BALL
With a league-high eight A-graders, 12 B-graders and six players aged 21 or under with the potential to develop into A or B-graders, Richmond’s list is the envy of almost every club and will see the Tigers challenging strongly for more premierships over the next three years at least. This has been a wonderful era and while the players have already cashed in with three flags in four years, why stop now? Keep the hunger alive because the chance to be part of such a strong team doesn’t come along in the AFL often. The opportunity to further etch their names in Richmond folklore can drive this group to truly special things.

Best timeline

Mar 16, 2008
Uppercomebackwest
AFL Club
Richmond
Fair analysis, except for Broad as a C-grader. There's no way he's not in the best 18 of other clubs.

Vlastuin also too low.

Astbury maybe too high, but at other clubs he would be regarded as an A.
Spot on I believe. I think Caddy is also stiff. I firmly believe that we really don't have a C grade list compared to most other clubs. Also, our bottom six - eight were the difference against Geeloo and Poort. In fact, when a A grade player drops off everyone seems to step up a place.

Stealth69

Debutant
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Broad(ever reliable, does nothing wrong) and Caddy B+ graders at the very least(Caddy unlucky our game plan doesn't suit him, he'd be starting 10 at any other team)

Vlastuin A grade

Shai is A, proved it this year

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Gary Buckenara analyses Richmond’s list after the 2020 season

Richmond is already up there with the great Brisbane and Hawthorn teams of the modern era. And a three-peat is possible.

With three premierships in four years Richmond has created its own dynasty and this team comfortably sits alongside the great Brisbane (2001-2004) and Hawthorn (2012-2015) teams of the modern era.

Winning a three-peat is not out of the question, in fact the Tigers will be premiership contenders for at least the next three years. But as we know, talent alone doesn’t guarantee success so Trent Cotchin, Damien Hardwick and the leaders need to keep the hunger alive, which is one of the great challenges. It’s why those Brisbane and Hawthorn teams are so revered.

This Richmond group has maintained that desire to win and belief in each other and it’s why history will look back on them in the same light as those great sides.

These Tigers players have already entered the history books by winning back-to-back premierships but the opportunity is there to become one of, if not the most successful and decorated team in the club’s history.

What has been most impressive about this group hasn’t been the ability to assemble a team of superstars. It’s been the development and improvement of players who weren’t top draft picks but have become high-quality AFL players. They’re the reason for the sustained success.

While the Tigers have their A-graders like Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards and Tom Lynch, what sets the most successful teams apart from the rest is the strength of the lesser-lights and the guys who are the 15-22 ranked players in the best 22. The improvement from Liam Baker, Jayden Short, Ivan Soldo, Noah Balta, Shai Bolton and Jake Aarts (despite him only playing in the qualifying final) to not only fill roles but become very damaging players has meant there was no drop off when Cotchin, Prestia and Toby Nankervis were injured and Edwards and Bachar Houli weren’t there.

It’s a credit to the recruiting and list management teams who have executed a plan and identified players capable of filling roles in Hardwick’s game style and they’ve done it without having access to high draft picks. Richmond has not had a pick inside the top 12 since 2015. Baker (2017), Short, Soldo (both 2014) and Aarts (2018) were rookie draft picks, Balta was a pick 25 and Bolton was pick 29. Talk about nailing the draft.

Jason Castagna (rookie, 2014), Kane Lambert (rookie, 2014), Marlion Pickett (mid-season draft, 2019), Nathan Broad (pick 67, 2015) and Jack Graham (pick 53, 2016) are other examples of key players who weren’t high draft picks but have become seriously good AFL players.

As much as Hardwick is a great coach and the superstars get the fanfare, a lot of credit for Richmond’s success must go to the recruiting, list management and development staff, as well as the fitness and medical teams who have done a great job to keep the best players on the park. These have been Richmond’s secret weapons.

LIST NEEDS
Riewoldt has just turned 32 and given the success of the Riewoldt-Tom Lynch set-up, and with no real genuine developing key forwards on the list, I’d be looking to draft one or two to begin to plan for life after Riewoldt.

Overall Richmond has a very balanced group and the strength and depth of the list is evident. That means they can target specific experienced players in the trade and free agency periods and continue to stockpile young talent in the draft.

TRADE TARGETS
Richmond isn’t a major player in the trade period, with the focus on keeping this brilliant list together. They were linked early to North Melbourne’s Jared Polec, who’d be a handy get to inject more speed on the wing. If the Kangaroos pay a portion of his contract, Polec would be a potential steal as I can see him playing a valuable role. The Tigers’ quick ball movement would suit him. Unlikely to cost much in a trade.

UNTOUCHABLES
Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Riewoldt, Lynch, Prestia, Baker, Balta, Castagna, Lambert, Pickett, Short, Bolton, Houli, Prestia, David Astbury, Mabior Chol, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Dylan Grimes, Jack Higgins, Daniel Rioli, Ivan Soldo and Nick Vlastuin.

TRADE BAIT
Jack Higgins has been linked to St Kilda and is assessing his options. He’s an extremely talented small forward who I rated as the best small forward/midfielder in his draft in 2017 and had him rated as a top-10 talent, even though he slipped to No.17. He’s an untouchable in my book. He’s obviously had health challenges that have impacted his career so far, so I wouldn’t read much into him being overtaken by the likes of Jake Aarts this year. I still see him playing a valuable role at Richmond and eventually pushing into the midfield and given he’s contracted, it would need to be a compelling trade for the Tigers to consider it. The Saints would need to offer a top-20 pick at a minimum.

Oleg Markov has already found a new home at Gold Coast as he searches for more senior opportunities, while players like Ryan Garthwaite and Jack Ross could attract interest late and be tempted by the offer of more senior games. Ross has impressed me as a big-bodied midfielder who’s handled the pressure of AFL football and a club like Carlton, desperate for this type of player, might inquire but the Tigers will do all they can to keep him.

LIST BREAKDOWN

B: Baker, Castagna, Graham, Houli, Lambert, McIntosh, Nankervis, Pickett, Rioli, Short, Soldo, Vlastuin

Developing (with A-B grade potential): Balta, Bolton, Collier-Dawkins, Higgins, Ross, Stack

Developing: Coleman-Jones, Cumberland, Dow, Martyn, Miller, Naish, Nyuon, Ralphsmith

What the ratings mean:

Developing: Aged 21 or under

CRYSTAL BALL
With a league-high eight A-graders, 12 B-graders and six players aged 21 or under with the potential to develop into A or B-graders, Richmond’s list is the envy of almost every club and will see the Tigers challenging strongly for more premierships over the next three years at least. This has been a wonderful era and while the players have already cashed in with three flags in four years, why stop now? Keep the hunger alive because the chance to be part of such a strong team doesn’t come along in the AFL often. The opportunity to further etch their names in Richmond folklore can drive this group to truly special things.

Hoping Blair Hartly and the coaching group as well as Jack Higgins also read this

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
LIST BREAKDOWN

What the ratings mean:

I reckon only 10% of a list should be A grade. And IMO players drop in & out of it season by season.
A: Dusty, Vlas, Short, Baker
B: Lynch, Cotchin, Edwards, Astbury, Grimes, Prestia, Riewoldt , Castagna, Graham, Lambert, Nankervis, Pickett, Rioli, Soldo
Balta, Bolton, McIntosh Broad
C: Houli, Caddy, Higgins, Aarts Ross
D: Chol, Eggmolesse-Smith, Dow, Stack Coleman-Jones, Cumberland, , Martyn, Miller, Collier-Dawkins Naish, Nyuon, Ralphsmith Garthwaite

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Id happily delist

Harder for me to see games this year. Did he have any games where he showed something. I have enjoyed some of his cameos but I dont see this one working.
Chol showed a bit against North. Kudos to him for having a big preseason and getting ahead of CJ. If that is the standard & CJ can't surpass that we might be seeing Balta KPF/back up ruck.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
nah maybe a year or so ago. He was lucky he could pinch hit in the ruck to get a premiership otherwise he was in the gun

unfortunately hes gonna struggle to make the side next year unless the we play a side with two kpf
With 2 rucks one of Astbury/Broad won't play. Dimma dropped Broad (193) for Astbury (195). Dimma seems to like 2 KPDs regardless of oppo lineup

May 23, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
With 2 rucks one of Astbury/Broad won't play. Dimma dropped Broad (193) for Astbury (195). Dimma seems to like 2 KPDs regardless of oppo lineup

Hard to see an unforced change to our back 7. We are an intercept marking team. Our midfield puts pressure on the ball carrier to create a high hack kick, hence we usually have low clearances as we set up more defensively. That hack kick then lets Rance v2.0, Astbury, Grimes and Vlaustin go to work winning the contested mark. Baker is our sweeper. Broad is our shutdown defender. Short is the designated kicker. It just works.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Listing Broad as a C grader is insulting. How many 50+ picks have 3 Premiership medals?
The thing with our team is everyone play a role. Of the guys who play seniors, most of them should be categorised as at least B grade, based on what they do in our team. Everyone knows their job and does it. I guess for the sake of this sort of ranking exercise, some guys have to be Cs. But in reality, the way our club runs, basically anyone who plays seniors is an A or a B.

That said, I cant think of another club who Broad wouldn't get a game for. Having him in a category with Garthwaite and Chol isn't right.

Back