Gary Lyon to hand the silver cup and hold it with the boys @ GF win?

Remove this Banner Ad

bjwilliams

All Australian
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
One of my favourite parts from Saturday (amongst all of it) was watching Lyon when he walked to pick up the cup. You could tell he was fighting to not burst into tears. And when he does grab it, he does a little movement pushing the cup out to the boys at the side almost in a "thank you for this" manner.

Reckon it meant the world to him.

I'm hoping we continue to bring old players back into the fold and celebrate our history which definitely felt lost since 2007-2008. Seeing the greats around the club, or on match days would really feel like Melbourne was back. Not in a formal role way but just in a 'you're always Melbourne' way.

He was my first favourite player when I decided to stick to the dees as a supporter as an 8 year old in 1988. Had #3 on the back of my first dees footy jumper and posters on my bedroom walls of Lyon and Darren Bennett.

Exactly like booshboy , Gazz takes me all the way back to my initial love of the club, I come from a family with no Dees influence whatsoever so Gazz means the world to me and is a significant part of why im a dees supporter today.

Gaz was a bit of campaigner to fans back in the day. Glad he figured out what it was all about once he became one.

He was very arrogant when I met him as a youngster, hence why I switched fav players hahaha, but I think hes grown as a man, his kids probably helped him.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
He was very arrogant when I met him as a youngster, hence why I switched fav players hahaha, but I think hes grown as a man, his kids probably helped him.
Yep, I met nearly the whole team when I wandered into the players area with my mum and little bro after we beat the Dogs in the 94 finals. Didn't get to Ox or Tingay tho :(

Everyone was super nice other that Lyon. I got him to sign a footy card for my 9 year old bro and he said under his breath "probably turn around and sell it anyway" :D

Yep, I met nearly the whole team when I wandered into the players area with my mum and little bro after we beat the Dogs in the 94 finals. Didn't get to Ox or Tingay tho :(

Everyone was super nice other that Lyon. I got him to sign a footy card for my 9 year old bro and he said under his breath "probably turn around and sell it anyway" :D

I met the whole team when they came down to Barwon Heads golf course for a hit in 94 ish, all of them really nice except Lyon and Stynes, they signed stuff for me too but had no interest in talking, Jeff Hilton, Dean Irving and Sean Wight the nicest of the lot I found.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I met the whole team when they came down to Barwon Heads golf course for a hit in 94 ish, all of them really nice except Lyon and Stynes, they signed stuff for me too but had no interest in talking, Jeff Hilton, Dean Irving and Sean Wight the nicest of the lot I found.
Hilton was great and his missus swore like a sailor! Jim was super nice to me, I got star struck and accidentally handed him a Neitz card to sign so somewhere I have a David Neitz card half signed by Stynes! Surely that's a collectors item?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to a post-game function with my family when I was younger, my favourite player was Jeff White so my dad put me on his shoulders to look for him. Some media people saw me and decided to have me take a snap for the club magazine. They had me in a photo with Cameron Bruce. Afterwards he turned to have a chat with me but I just wandered off looking for White again. My parents were super embarrassed.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was pissed as at lunch time carrying a slab of MBs on a Wednesday with me mates as young fellas and we seen Gaz in invy. Ran past him yelling go Dees and he told us get f’ed 😂
No offence to you or mates personally, but this sort of Grumpy Garry s**t makes me like him more…

Back