Gary Pert announced as new CEO of Melbourne

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The same PJ that oversaw nearly zero leaks from the club in his time, the same club that used to leak like james hirds forehead, told a supporter at training tht he wasnt happy with an appointment replacing him leaving after tendering his resignation/retirement?

Well, if you put it that way...

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you can't stand still in this game and if Pert can get us some clout and grow our club further then I'm all for his appointment. My one and only knock on PJ which I've stated here before has been his constant referencing of us 'not being a big club' and having to make do with our little niche, which might have been a commercial reality but not necessarily inspiring for us members. Mirror this with Glen Bartlett's grandiose dream of wanting us to be 'like the New York yankees' and I think that's pretty much the reason why we've gone with Pert and not PJ's protege Josh Mahoney.

I admire Bartlett's ambition for this club and will back in the Pert appointment to the hilt. But if you ask any melbourne supporter who out of PJ and Barlett they feel most assured with in setting the future course for the Melbourne Football Club - I think we all know the answers going to be our bald Jesus, PJ. And I'm sure Glenn will know this.

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Watched clas, Damo said what a few journos have said which was there seemed to be a large process and then Pert was kinda parachuted in. Nothing too sensationalist and he did say it's an unknown appointment because if you get 07-12 pert it's a financial win and successful era where as 13-17 Not so good.

Juddy also said he spoke with Glen Bartlett and said Melbourne was quite shocked at the commentary and that Pert did go through all the processes.

Would probably like to hear Jackson endorce him publically sometime. The silence is a little deafening

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
You can never know how someone is going to go either. I can honestly say I have learnt something from every job I have taken and continually gotten better, so maybe Pert will take some key lessons out of his time at Collingwood. First of all, it probably isn't good to have the same CEO for that long and to know when to move on.

On top of that people perform differently in different environments. I am sure he has been brought in with challengers to grow our membership numbers and further improve our balance sheet, while managing the transition away from pokie driven revenue. At Collingwood they already had s**t loads of members and money, the only thing not going right was the performance on field.

I know I'm a harbinger of doom and that FB means nothing, but saw this

IM-PERT-INENT

Some salty rumblings around that PJ might not be rapt with the Pert appointment given he was in favour of a succession plan. Was mentioned last week too that he's not a fan of footy club boards and had expressed frustration about them to a supporter at training recently.

Geez I hope we don't stuff this up.

I'm happy at this stage with Pert, but surely if PJ was happy to do it then Pert would be putting his hand up for the succession plan arrangement? He could learn a lot from the best CEO we've (arguably) ever had.

No official word yet from the club or PJ, and it's all been a bit quietly handled, which seems strange. With Pert officially starting at end of season, does that mean PJ won't be hanging around?

Why do we think PJ had a legitimate say in the replacement of his role?

That’s a board decision and it’s on the board to take responsibility for it.

Pert is a good pick on paper.

Mahoney is not a good pick for a CEO job on paper.

In reality, it may be different but hope we’ve made the right call.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watched clas, Damo said what a few journos have said which was there seemed to be a large process and then Pert was kinda parachuted in. Nothing too sensationalist and he did say it's an unknown appointment because if you get 07-12 pert it's a financial win and successful era where as 13-17 Not so good.

Juddy also said he spoke with Glen Bartlett and said Melbourne was quite shocked at the commentary and that Pert did go through all the processes.

Would probably like to hear Jackson endorce him publically sometime. The silence is a little deafening
Hutchy would be rapt to learn this nickname is finally catching on after he's been pushing it for three years

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Interesting that 3 of the final 5 candidates were internal - managing their disappointment, and keeping them at the Club, will be a significant challenge for GP
almost guarantee they all walk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yep, the unified front is to avoid distraction for the club and playing group after the appointment was leaked and unable to be stage managed.

Would be shocked if Mahoney et al haven't already had guarantees that they'll be looked after in the exit plan.

Quite childish of them if it does happen, being overlooked for a promotion due to a more accomplished candidate is a fact of life in the workplace.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Although Mahoney may have got his hopes up just by being at the club for many years, he doesn't have the CEO credentials Pert has - in fact, I don;t think he has any CEO credentials at all. It's a big step to go from the footy department to running the whole business. Mahoney is only 40 years old and doesn't have anywhere near the experience Pert has. If it came down to these two, I'm certainly glad we went with Pert - even if PJ was grooming Mahoney for the role. Experience matters. I would hope that Mahoney doesn't react to this by feeling slighted and he stays onboard in the role he's doing well with.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
where the * has this campaigner been? Barely said two words since he started- We have a nameless president and a faceless CEO. This joint needs far stronger leaders on and off the field.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
What do you want him to say, exactly? Some more useless media soundbites aren't going to fix anything.

Why are people being so angry? Would you rather stick your heads in the sand? Pert was s**t at the end of his time at Collingwood, and the results and stability have returned in his first season gone. Maybe its a coincidence, maybe its not. Seems like Pies fans liked him, but were happy to see him go. Lets wait and see how he does in the job before we pat ourselves on the back and assure ourselves we've got it right. Schwab nearly killed this club, be vigilant and stop being so trusting of what the club does.
Agree with this flog. Wouldn't mind hearing something from the club, given the dumpster fire of a start we've had. Better silence than a David Koch style public annihilation I guess.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What do you want him to say, exactly? Some more useless media soundbites aren't going to fix anything.
I think an explanation as to why we'd rush into signing Goodwin without seeing his gameplan and execution with new rules in place would be a start. Plus why we signed him for 4 years instead of maybe 2? If we are disastrous the next two seasons, we are stuck with nowhere to go. Maybe even putting some pressure on the coaching panel to lift would be nice. I expect if we continue down this path, Pert will have no choice but to relieve a couple of coaches of their duties. If we get smashed by Richmond he might be forced out of his cave..

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think an explanation as to why we'd rush into signing Goodwin without seeing his gameplan and execution with new rules in place would be a start. Plus why we signed him for 4 years instead of maybe 2? If we are disastrous the next two seasons, we are stuck with nowhere to go. Maybe even putting some pressure on the coaching panel to lift would be nice. I expect if we continue down this path, Pert will have no choice but to relieve a couple of coaches of their duties. If we get smashed by Richmond he might be forced out of his cave..

Well, an explanation on why we signed the coach up for four years would go something along the lines of "we're building something here", "long-term project", "stability", yada yada yada. He shouldn't need to hold a press conference to exert some pressure on the coaching panel - there's already plenty of scrutiny from the media and pressure from poor results there.

Sacking people mid-season seems unlikely, but if we continue like this, the broom should go through the coaches box at the end of the year. I don't see what is going to be gained by another prepared statement full of buzzwords and rhetoric. You're not going to get any actual answers, and nor should there be any, because all that should be done behind closed doors.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well, an explanation on why we signed the coach up for four years would go something along the lines of "we're building something here", "long-term project", "stability", yada yada yada. He shouldn't need to hold a press conference to exert some pressure on the coaching panel - there's already plenty of scrutiny from the media and pressure from poor results there.

Sacking people mid-season seems unlikely, but if we continue like this, the broom should go through the coaches box at the end of the year. I don't see what is going to be gained by another prepared statement full of buzzwords and rhetoric. You're not going to get any actual answers, and nor should there be any, because all that should be done behind closed doors.
That’s probably your best post

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think this is my best post.
This is my best post
D06ECB3E-74BA-4F6A-9645-0F01D8C60038.jpeg

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It is kinda funny that Everyone praised PJ for his silence and his ability to work behind the scenes but they now they want Pert to go full Jeff Kennett

It is kinda funny that Everyone praised PJ for his silence and his ability to work behind the scenes but they now they want Pert to go full Jeff Kennett
I get where you're coming from, but we never had an on-field crisis of this magnitude during Jackson's tenure.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I get where you're coming from, but we never had an on-field crisis of this magnitude during Jackson's tenure.

Yeah but as much as you would enjoy seeing Pert on Sunrise talking about how this is a let down and we should be making finals etc it's just gonna mean the media focus on his comments rather than the team.

Put it this way, I'm in as much as disgust as anyone but if this was round 12 and we lost 4 of 5 it would badly be CEO statement worthy.

If we lose the next couple and we are bottom of the ladder. Then yeah full crisis mode can kick in

Back