Past Gary Rohan (Missing: report any sightings to the Geelong physio) - traded 2018, to Geelong

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-11/revealed-how-the-cats-will-change-their-gameplan-

Says how Gary Rohan will help Geelong with his 9.9 disposal average and 4th league total in causing turnovers to keep the ball in Cats forward 50.

Below quote shows perhaps why he was persisted with for so long at Swans.

Rohan has not been a high possession winner in his career, averaging 9.9 disposals, but he makes things happen when he gets the ball, with Sydney scoring 42.6 per cent of the time he was involved in a scoring chain in 2017-18 – ranked second at the Swans behind Lance Franklin.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-11/revealed-how-the-cats-will-change-their-gameplan-

Says how Gary Rohan will help Geelong with his 9.9 disposal average and 4th league total in causing turnovers to keep the ball in Cats forward 50.

Below quote shows perhaps why he was persisted with for so long at Swans.

Rohan has not been a high possession winner in his career, averaging 9.9 disposals, but he makes things happen when he gets the ball, with Sydney scoring 42.6 per cent of the time he was involved in a scoring chain in 2017-18 – ranked second at the Swans behind Lance Franklin.
"...with Sydney scoring 42.6 per cent of the time he was involved in a scoring chain in 2017-18 ..."

Can someone explain this? It makes about as much sense to me as Sex Panther's success rate.

"...with Sydney scoring 42.6 per cent of the time he was involved in a scoring chain in 2017-18 ..."

Can someone explain this? It makes about as much sense to me as Sex Panther's success rate.

Seems like a cool stat that is worded so poorly I don't understand exactly what it means.

Maybe they meant possession chain?

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Sounds like moving him on was the best thing for both player and club, I don't know how many games he'll play at the Cats but I just hope he enjoys his footy and stays injury free.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Would have been wonderful if Gary could have performed at this level in Sydney.

When he played forward for us, he didn't get the delivery he's getting now.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I for one am so stoked for Rohan. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Not sure if you're taking the piss, but if you're not, I thoroughly agree with you. He's in a rich vein of form and seems to be loving his football. Despite his flaws, I was gutted when he left the Swans and I've got nothing but happiness for him, especially with the year he had outside of football last year.

zyzzbruh

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2017
Mnt Olympus
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Manchester United
Pleased you are happy N37. Perhaps you could explain why in over 100 games with us, his output was so underwhelming?
he has the current best midfield in the comp kicking the ball down his throat. We've been on the slide since 2016, despite that he always showed glimpses of this kind of form and dragged us over the line in close games multiple times.

Pleased you are happy N37. Perhaps you could explain why in over 100 games with us, his output was so underwhelming?

If you want to s**t-can him or his time at the Swans you don't need my help.
I am stoked for him.

scottydeewah

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Geelong have Essendon this week at the G - hard matchup off a shorter break. Follow that up with North, Doggies, Swans, GCS and Tigers before the bye - so 4 out of the bottom 6 teams and 5 of 6 not in the 8.

I am obviously biased but I have also watched a lot of footy (and am not crazy one-eyed) and this is a SERIOUSLY good football team.

I think Gary is going well at the moment as we have him playing in a role/position that suits and he is now 27 and 2-3 seasons removed from some really really bad injuries. He hasn't played over 13 games ever in his career and is already on 6. With that run and some good luck, we could hit the byes in a position whereby we can be very conservative and rest guys. I think he is also possibly just reaching the peak of his powers. He will have some down games, no doubt, but our team is good enough at the moment that if Dahlhaus, Hawkins, Ablett, Danger etc. get into some goals (which they all do) and we win (which we are) then everyone will just gloss over it.

I sometimes wonder as well that once some players shake the "potential" tag and are allowed to play the game that suits, they are better for it. We all know he isn't a 20+ possession getter. I told my missus when he came, "he doesn't do much, but what he does often end up in goals" and in today's football, where scores can be as high as 12 goals, if you are involved in 3-4 scoring chains it is massively underrated.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I actually dont think that is the right comparison. Gunston is a marking forward in a team which honours leads. We are a kick to location team. He plays more like a puopolo in our team - which its fair to say he is not as good pressure wise

I'm not quite sure whether that is the right comparison either but it is closer to the mark than an out and out third leading tall (which by the way he has played more like the leading tall this year as roughhead has dropped off)

And this is what had the potential to happen when he played for a team that honours leads. Just frustrating that we wasted a straight kicking hard leading tallish forward. And this is a combination of game plan and skills - we would always choose the win your own ball player over the outside receiver. It has been what has sustained us since 2001. But by god its frustrating now.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
he has the current best midfield in the comp kicking the ball down his throat. We've been on the slide since 2016, despite that he always showed glimpses of this kind of form and dragged us over the line in close games multiple times.

This

Back