List Mgmt. Gary Rohan re-signs to 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong forward Gary Rohan has extended his contract with the Cats until the end of the 2021 season. Rohan had one year remaining on his contract before agreeing with the club on a further year extension.

Rohan was an integral part of the Geelong line up in 2019. In his first season at GMHBA Stadium, Rohan booted 25 goals in 19 games. Over his 10-year career with Sydney and the Cats, Rohan has kicked 121 goals in 125 games.

“Gary was able to enjoy a strong start to his career in Geelong colours at the beginning of the season. He made a smooth transition into our team and was an energetic addition to the group both on and off the field,” Geelong’s General Manager of Football Simon Lloyd said.

“Since arriving 12 months ago, Gary, his wife Amie and daughter Bella have been a welcome addition to the club, as a family they have embraced everything about the community of Geelong.

“We are pleased to have secured Gary’s services for a further two years and look forward to what he can bring to the team.”

Why though, he had a year to run anyway.....:drunk:
Isn't like half our list out of contract at the end of next season, so they are just starting early on the re-signings

Well if the Parsons extension, the Zuthrie upgrade or the Simpson upgrade hasn't gotten tham all yet, this one certainly will.

Go Catters

I have no problem with a 1 year extension now if it was a 2 or 3 year extension i would be annoyed

He already had a year to run, what happens when he gets knocked out in the first 5 rounds and misses a bunch of games and then when he does come back spuds it up, I love Rohan but seriously this is one we could have waited on. His first half this year was fantastic, his 2nd was bloody woeful.

He already had a year to run, what happens when he gets knocked out in the first 5 rounds and misses a bunch of games and then when he does come back spuds it up, I love Rohan but seriously this is one we could have waited on. His first half this year was fantastic, his 2nd was bloody woeful.

The club probably could have waited, but with something like 20 players out of contract at the end of next season, they are probably also happy to re-sign a few players earlier than later - and especially players they'd be likely to re-sign anyway

Means that as the 2020 progresses, the list management team can turn their focus to the fringe players who are more 50/50 for a contract beyond next season, and also keep on top of FA or trade targets

The club could also wait on a new deal for Duncan, but talk is a 3-year deal has been offered and likely to be signed before Xmas

Sometimes it's smarter or easier to lock away early the players you know you want to keep beyond the current season

Well if the Parsons extension, the Zuthrie upgrade or the Simpson upgrade hasn't gotten tham all yet, this one certainly will.

Go Catters

Those two I would argue have a lot more youth on their side to warrant some measured faith. Not sure we can be that confident with someone who turns 29 next year, even before you account for his injury history and horrible finals record.

He played 19 games in 2019....

Standard Emu misinformation...check...
And the most he's ever played in a season...

So is that a case of a player coming to Geelong and our medical team having a positive impact on said player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I see Rohans name.. I think of the movie..12 Angry men ... jury is out.. The Swans game at KP was when it all seemed to swing in the wrong direction for his season. If correct that he dropped his lip when the swans guys gave it to him in that KP game .. the clubs needs to be aware of the issue that he need help with the handling of that mental side of the game. Can play thats obvious .. can he be a consistent performer.

Including games he got injured in.. Standard David the Cat misinformation. If you don't think Gary Rohan is injury prone I can't help you.

Good...that makes his 25 goals for season 2019 even more impressive....good to see you providing a positive point on Rohan's performance and indirectly providing the rationale behind extending his contract.

Good to hear...keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Doubt we get half a season but oh well it's the clubs money everyone gets looked after at Geelong.
At his best he's very good, but he's very inconsistent and injury prone, but hey, we might get a good run who knows.

When I see Rohans name.. I think of the movie..12 Angry men ... jury is out.. The Swans game at KP was when it all seemed to swing in the wrong direction for his season. If correct that he dropped his lip when the swans guys gave it to him in that KP game .. the clubs needs to be aware of the issue that he need help with the handling of that mental side of the game. Can play thats obvious .. can he be a consistent performer.
I was thinking the same. Maybe that extra years security takes the pressure off and helps him cope with issues better.
I know that's a bit lame to have to do that but TBH I thought his addition was the single biggest reason we improved to be top of the ladder half way through.
Also Dollhouse.

I was thinking the same. Maybe that extra years security takes the pressure off and helps him cope with issues better.
I know that's a bit lame to have to do that but TBH I thought his addition was the single biggest reason we improved to be top of the ladder half way through.
Also Dollhouse.
Yep, there was a different energy and attitude introduced with those two, and to a lesser degree Miers and Clark.
It was exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back