List Mgmt. Gary Rohan re-signs to 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Concussion is one of those things which I think can significantly impact fitness. With a leg injury, for example, you can still do a lot of upper body work and often a modified leg program. With concussion, you are much more restricted, with perhaps only a bit of light-cardiovascular allowable. Dropping 5 or 10% fitness has a big impact, especially for a player like Rohan
Yes, there are physical fitness effects, but I believe there are also psychological ones as well. He's had them in the past so you'd think he understands their seriousness and with all that has happened to him and his family in the past couple years, it could easily be a niggle in the back of his mind that slows him down just enough to affect his game.
IMHO

Concussion is one of those things which I think can significantly impact fitness. With a leg injury, for example, you can still do a lot of upper body work and often a modified leg program. With concussion, you are much more restricted, with perhaps only a bit of light-cardiovascular allowable. Dropping 5 or 10% fitness has a big impact, especially for a player like Rohan
Not sure the rules around AFL, but with the cricket when Smith was ruled out during the test match with concussion they mentioned that part of the concussion rule in cricket is a 7-days no training

That's why Smith was ruled out of the next test immediately because he wasn't going to have time to prove his fitness & that he was over the concussion symptoms before the next match started

In AFL it seems that we sometimes have players who are training just days after a concussion and cleared to play the following week - looking at the rule in cricket, should the AFL follow suit and say "7 days no training" which all but forces a week off for the player because it then takes the decision out of the players hands & them saying they are fine when maybe they aren't necessarily fine?

He already had a year to run, what happens when he gets knocked out in the first 5 rounds and misses a bunch of games and then when he does come back spuds it up, I love Rohan but seriously this is one we could have waited on. His first half this year was fantastic, his 2nd was bloody woeful.

He could have signed for $1/season for all you know.

It’s quite humorous seeing the posters on here criticise club decisions like theycould do a better job.

There’s 46 players on our list, salary cap is $12.45m, that’s only $270k per player. Assume Joel and Danger are on $800k, Duncan, Gaz, Blitz are on $600k, that leaves $8.45m for the rest of the list, an average of just $210k per player.

Are you going to pay Tuohy, Dahlhaus, Steven, Guthrie, Stanley, Stewart, Esava $210k/yr?

Point is, if you don’t have all of the facts and figures you’re better off holding your judgement.

He could have signed for $1/season for all you know.

It’s quite humorous seeing the posters on here criticise club decisions like theycould do a better job.

Yes that's it. It's not like some have differing views.

I don't think we should have got Rohan. Didn't want him 12 months ago. Don't now. He's a chronic underachiever who disappears completely in finals. That's when he's fit too.

Played one final for us. 3 possessions. Surprise surprise.

Point is, if you don’t have all of the facts and figures you’re better off holding your judgement.

Nah I don't think so.

- Before coming to Geelong he'd played 106 games in nine years. That's not even 12 games a year.
- He averages less than 9 disposals per game.
- For someone hailed for his defensive pressure, this year was his lowest tackle average in his entire career. 1.8 per game.

Feel free to disprove those facts.

Yes that's it. It's not like some have differing views.

I don't think we should have got Rohan. Didn't want him 12 months ago. Don't now. He's a chronic underachiever who disappears completely in finals. That's when he's fit too.

Played one final for us. 3 possessions. Surprise surprise.

Nah I don't think so.

- Before coming to Geelong he'd played 106 games in nine years. That's not even 12 games a year.
- He averages less than 9 disposals per game.
- For someone hailed for his defensive pressure, this year was his lowest tackle average in his entire career. 1.8 per game.

Feel free to disprove those facts.

He played 19/25 games this year. He averaged our third most goals behind only Tomahawk and Gaz, he was also third for goal assists and top five for contested marks.

He clearly plays his role, I don’t know what more people expect from him, to have 30 each week from a forward pocket? Statistically his year was much better than Dahlhaus and Atkins who play similar roles.

Edit: also, defensive pressure isn’t just tackles and comparing tackle averages across years when he played only 5-10 games is misleading.

He played 19/25 games this year. He averaged our third most goals behind only Tomahawk and Gaz, he was also third for goal assists and top five for contested marks.

He clearly plays his role, I don’t know what more people expect from him, to have 30 each week from a forward pocket? Statistically his year was much better than Dahlhaus and Atkins who play similar roles.

Edit: also, defensive pressure isn’t just tackles and comparing tackle averages across years when he played only 5-10 games is misleading.

He averaged 1.8 tackles in 2019. From 19 games. That's not 5-10.

Kicked more goals per game in 2019 than Jack Gunston, Harry McKay, Robbie Gray, Liam Ryan, Tom McDonald, Isaac Heeney, Gryan Miers, Jesse Hogan, Tom Lynch (Crows), Christian Petracca, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Josh Caddy, and Chad Wingard. He also played as many, or more, games than those bolded.

Well, we better dump those guys then.....useless.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quoting tackle numbers like that's what matters.
The effect of forward pressure isn't solely on successful tackles, as David pointed out last page.

Yet it's repeated.
Bizarre stuff.

In ten years of playing? Really?

Yes it was reported as being his first ever full pre-season.

Quoting tackle numbers like that's what matters.
The effect of forward pressure isn't solely on successful tackles, as David pointed out last page.

Yet it's repeated.
Bizarre stuff.

They do measure forward pressure rankings. From what i recall rowan was top 3 till mid year. Not sure after that.

I understood that we recruited him because he wanted to come back home. The same as we did for Dalhaus. The same as we did for Stevens

If you can't figure out the difference in the mindset of a defender coming into possession 5m away from a player you know has elite pace vs a player you know you can get away from... then I dunno where to go from there
Overall on average his season was about par for a player in his position but let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say there were reasons for his drop in form. No accident that we were up and about when he was and struggled to score 100 points afterwards (in part due to worse ball movement that didn't help any of our forwards no doubt). I seem to recall that, even putting his goals aside, we were scoring a lot from turnovers out of defence in that first part of the season

He wanted to stay at the swans, but they didn't want him. So he said well if I have to go it can only be geelong.
I remember reading a couple of articles after he made the move and he seemed to leave it open to moving back to Sydney after his playing career - didn't necessarily read as someone who was (at that time) expecting to settle back in the region; but that may change before he finishes playing

He averaged 1.8 tackles in 2019. From 19 games. That's not 5-10.

You’ve misinterpreted me. He played between 5-10 games in each of the first four seasons of his career. You can’t compare with these tackle averages. In his five games he could’ve had 0, 0, 0, 2 and 8 tackles an average of 2 per game, does that mean he was a better tackler that season than this year where he averaged 1.8 tackles?

Also, if you want to use average tackles as a measure, are you accounting for TOG?

Not sure the rules around AFL, but with the cricket when Smith was ruled out during the test match with concussion they mentioned that part of the concussion rule in cricket is a 7-days no training

That's why Smith was ruled out of the next test immediately because he wasn't going to have time to prove his fitness & that he was over the concussion symptoms before the next match started

In AFL it seems that we sometimes have players who are training just days after a concussion and cleared to play the following week - looking at the rule in cricket, should the AFL follow suit and say "7 days no training" which all but forces a week off for the player because it then takes the decision out of the players hands & them saying they are fine when maybe they aren't necessarily fine?
Not as black and white as a blanket 7 days though in practice.
They monitor players daily and have a strict return to play protocol once ALL the symptoms are no longer present. It can take anywhere from 48 hours to weeks for full recovery of symptoms alone.
It's worth a read of the SCAT 5 because it is pretty well accepted as a good aid in management of concussions.
In soccer, it is also a definite 7 days Minimum before RTP.

Rohan? No he doesn't. It's a myth.

He averaged 1.8 tackles a game in 2019. His lowest count ever. Mind you, it's never been high - he only averages 2.5 overall.

What he does do is one really big chase every now and again that make people lose their minds. The reality is different.
Not sure I'd put a great deal of stock in the stats. What stood out for me was the effect on defenders decision making. You could see them look around and see that Rohan had covered way more ground than they expected and was well closer than they thought. Panicked poor kick results and zero stats given to Rohan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back