Toast Gary Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly what I thought ... Rohan was both brave and bold Saturday, after an awful start ... I love the fact he kept at it, kept taking the game on when he got involved ... just fantastic to see him back as a genuine and important contributor to a potential flag-winning team.

Just freaking glad we get to watch him start to come on and play the way he can. Few errors had me pulling my hair out for sure, but he'll be better for it.

Look forward to what the future has for Rohan at the Swans.

Might have been a different tune if we hadn't won the game.
He didn't give up which in itself shows alot of self belief.
However, his kicking was poor at times througout.

His kicking at times is awful, no dancing around it. So many other good qualities though and I reckon he'll end up a very good player. Needs to think his way through things a little more, seems to get a rush of blood.

Incredible speed and hard as nails. Big fan.

Cant wait to see Gaz take off .... (Think Lewis Jetta style against Collingwood)!!! We have seen glimpses of it in the last few weeks and hopefully he gains more confidence to take off and burn opponents. Cant remember the article but I see Rhyce Shaw (and the club) has urged him to run and take the game on. Cant wait to see it happen. Excitement machine when he decides to take 'em on.

This is one of the few consistent patches of continuity in his career. He was shocking by foot in that first half, almost had an air swing.

But i think he is developing the ability to hang tough and push through the clangers, commentators mentioned he can lower the head, jude bolton would know too. Shaw got around him which was good, but i think his confidence will build.

This is the making of him here now i reckon, get that rod out and next year could be a real career making season, if he gets a full year.

I can also wear the mistakes because he was taking the game on

Poor first half no doubt , couldn't hit a target to save himself but went back and didn't drop his head for to long and rebounded in the 2 half with some good spoils and tackles etc.
It was only last week he was in the best players and also against Saints etc , he will bounce back.
His speed to break the lines and his pressure acts/tackling is an asset for this team in a big way when his confidence is up.
If them kicks hit the targets/shot on goal the game breaks open , clean up disposal ala like Rampe/Shaw have done and he will be fine.

Poor first half no doubt , couldn't hit a target to save himself but went back and didn't drop his head for to long and rebounded in the 2 half with some good spoils and tackles etc.
It was only last week he was in the best players and also against Saints etc , he will bounce back.
His speed to break the lines and his pressure acts/tackling is an asset for this team in a big way when his confidence is up.
If them kicks hit the targets/shot on goal the game breaks open , clean up disposal ala like Rampe/Shaw have done and he will be fine.

Bounced back as the game progressed which i dont think in prior years he would have

Has gone from a speculative pick when we had injuries to a fixture in the side

Bounced back as the game progressed which i dont think in prior years he would have

Has gone from a speculative pick when we had injuries to a fixture in the side
With Mal and Shaw ( McVeigh when back ) coping so much attention from opposition teams off HB Gary the one that could break the lines and get off the leash ( even Rampe ) and might be a big player in coming weeks.
J Blakey said this on radio a few weeks back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaz had 4 poor kicks in a row. We likely won't see a run like that again. But his pressure acts were great all day. And his pace worried Freo from go to woe. Will be a key player for us in the coming years. :thumbsu:

I didn't mind the fact he got caught trying to create something. I don't think the coaches would have minded either. He has freakish talent and should be encouraged to use it. He'll learn when to go and when to play it safe.

I didn't mind the fact he got caught trying to create something. I don't think the coaches would have minded either. He has freakish talent and should be encouraged to use it. He'll learn when to go and when to play it safe.
I remember at the ground thinking, no way that's HTB, but he's so quick, that on the big screen, it was, er yep.

I know it's stating the obvious but Rohan is such a flawed gem. God if he could polish his skills up a bit he could be one of our 10 best players. I've got a lot of time for him though. I think throwing him into the backline was a great idea by the coaches as he generally plays his best footy without the ball in his hand. His measurements are excellent too, surely the fastest 189cm, 89kg player in the AFL.

His kicking as others have noted is his weakest aspect, as are little brain fades such as when he over commits to tackles and gets sidestepped, or fumbles at crucial times. However I'm very confident he can iron these issues out as I've seen many other players work out these issues.

I know it's stating the obvious but Rohan is such a flawed gem. God if he could polish his skills up a bit he could be one of our 10 best players. I've got a lot of time for him though. I think throwing him into the backline was a great idea by the coaches as he generally plays his best footy without the ball in his hand. His measurements are excellent too, surely the fastest 189cm, 89kg player in the AFL.

His kicking as others have noted is his weakest aspect, as are little brain fades such as when he over commits to tackles and gets sidestepped, or fumbles at crucial times. However I'm very confident he can iron these issues out as I've seen many other players work out these issues.
his skills are good, he had bad first half last game though. He's no hack, and kicking is not his weakest aspect at all. He's played less.. actually, I'll stop.

his skills are good, he had bad first half last game though. He's no hack, and kicking is not his weakest aspect at all. He's played less.. actually, I'll stop.

Uhhh you make it sound like I was only going off the Freo game. I've studied him closely his entire career. He doubles his contemporaries Lloyd and Cunningham in clangers per game and it should be noted that he has the ball considerably less than them. Not all clangers come by foot of course, they are also handling errors and handballs. Definitely no hack and I want him permanently in the team. I'm willing to put up with the clangers because he has potential and quite frankly, is very useful now. However if you don't think kicking is a weakness for him "at all" then I'd be interested to know what you think are his weaknesses.

And yes of course I acknowledge the challenges he's faced the last 2 years.

Uhhh you make it sound like I was only going off the Freo game. I've studied him closely his entire career. He doubles his contemporaries Lloyd and Cunningham in clangers per game and it should be noted that he has the ball considerably less than them. Not all clangers come by foot of course, they are also handling errors and handballs. Definitely no hack and I want him permanently in the team. I'm willing to put up with the clangers because he has potential and quite frankly, is very useful now. However if you don't think kicking is a weakness for him "at all" then I'd be interested to know what you think are his weaknesses.

And yes of course I acknowledge the challenges he's faced the last 2 years.
his weakness is games under the belt, nothing more.

his weakness is games under the belt, nothing more.

Boy you really opened my eyes with that sentence. You'd make a great development coach. Did you forget already that he doubles two 20 year olds for clangers this year, both with less "time under belt"? I can't tell if you're just an apologist or you're seeing something I don't. Pretty sure it's the former though.

Boy you really opened my eyes with that sentence. You'd make a great development coach. Did you forget already that he doubles two 20 year olds for clangers this year, both with less "time under belt"? I can't tell if you're just an apologist or you're seeing something I don't. Pretty sure it's the former though.
yes, I am an apologist. 41 games and a horriffic leg injury. I'll take some clangers and missed tackles in return for his attack and speed.

I'd like to hope we all agree that his strengths and the potential he has shown glimpses of far outweighs any weaknesses you may/may not think he has IMO.

The boy is a jet and as tough as they come. I'm very excited by what he brings to the team and hope he can develop into a top 10 player for us in the next few years.

yes, I am an apologist. 41 games and a horriffic leg injury. I'll take some clangers and missed tackles in return for his attack and speed.

You're all over the place. You're implying above that I lack a patience for him that you have. Compare the two bolded sentences by you and me.

I'm willing to put up with the clangers because he has potential and quite frankly, is very useful now.
God if he could polish his skills up a bit he could be one of our 10 best players. I've got a lot of time for him though.
Definitely no hack and I want him permanently in the team.

I don't even know what you're arguing against. You again point to his games played when I have already referred to two players with fewer games who produce half as many clangers per game. How about you stop being a precious fan because that's the way you're coming off. I love Rohan, but his kicking skills need work as do his fumbles and missed tackles. If you don't think that is precisely what development coaches are telling him, then you're crazy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back