Toast Gavin Brown.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 31-year-old will work with AFL legend, Gavin Brown, who has been promoted to the position of Head of Development.

Brown will work closely with individual players while working with the coaches to create and identify learning opportunities.

Brown will also join the club’s match committee.

The 254 game player arrived at Arden St following the 2013 season as a senior assistant coach, working in player development in the AFL and VFL programs.

Brown spent time as an assistant and match day coach at Collingwood and Carlton across eleven seasons before making the switch to the Kangaroos.

So glad he is staying and taking a bigger role. Such a respected figure, any club would love to have him. I also increasingly appreciate that his career is being kept separate from those his sons are forging - much healthier for him and them.

Good that were promoting someone internally amidst the cull.

Shaw knows brown from his Collingwood days?
Yes. Rowdy retired from playing after the 2000 season (Shaw debuted in 1999), and coached at the Pies until 2010.

Should the Pies not win the GF this year and they decide to seek a new coach, because of the strong Collingwood influence, heaven forbid there might even be a spot for figjam in our coaching ranks.

Think about that!!!

Last edited:
Should the Pies not win the GF this year and they decide to seek a new coach, because of the strong Collingwood influence,heaven forbid there might even be a spot for figjam in our coaching ranks.

Think about that!!!
Figjam or as I know him over achievering under achiever won’t be coming to North as who else is qualified at Scumwood to put Eddie Electronic blanket on 3 at night😁

My favorite person for media in the football department.

Gets to the point with next to no bullshit.

They should use him more often, except I suspect he can't be arsed with it.

Bloke cant even develop his own flesh and blood, how is he going to develop our list.
Yeah I said it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez its depressing reading the first page of this thread. First half of 2018 we actually looked like we'd managed to rebuild on the run and could legitimately give the flag a shake. Since the bye that year how many wins? 20? Less?

Jeez its depressing reading the first page of this thread. First half of 2018 we actually looked like we'd managed to rebuild on the run and could legitimately give the flag a shake. Since the bye that year how many wins? 20? Less?
22 and a draw.

How is this guy not copping more heat around here?
Our development has been shizen for so long now. Gav has been head of development for the past 9 seasons has he not?
Surely gone at the end of the season!
So presumably we give him no credit for McDonald, Larkey, McKay, Simpkin, LDU, Zurhaar, or Ben Brown. Only the ones that didn't work out.

So presumably we give him no credit for McDonald, Larkey, McKay, Simpkin, LDU, Zurhaar, or Ben Brown. Only the ones that didn't work out.
That's like seven out of about 300 draft picks and trades tho. Over 70 if you go here and count them. I'm counting guys like Atu, Lachie Young, Bonar, Red Og (RIP), Hartung, Hrovat and Ahern... anyone under 25 who we got in and could have developed as a player here the way older guys like Higgo and w80 came on. Simpkin and B.Brown are obviously people who worked out they have to be responsible for their own success. B.Brown was already doing this before he was drafted. Froggy and Kayne Turner also worked their arses off but if they did it and the rest of our squad members over nearly a decade didn't we have to conclude that they worked that s**t out for themselves and were responsible for their own development.

Otherwise we'd see a culture of average and even better players getting the best out of themselves the way those guys did.

So many of our young draftees were lazy and soft when their careers ended.

Some were unlucky but I find it hard to believe that a competent development program could have had such s**t results when so many of those players had at least some sort of attribute. Look at other clubs and the performances they get out of their lesser draftees.

Its a massive failure rate, higher than what i'd assume would be average with no development support at all. Over that time we've had guys like Maj, Mason Wood and Ats not achieve their potential and seen guys like Mahony start well and go backwards. It isn't all on G.Brown but if he was competent he'd have had at least some more success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back