Universal Love Gavin Wanganeen - Essendon Legend Confirmed

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon just announced that Gav will be officially named an Essendon Legend this Friday, and I couldn't be happier.

To this day he is still one of my favourite players to ever Don the Sash

Essendon champion Gavin Wanganeen has been revealed as the first Bomber Legend of the 2018 season.

Wanganeen will be honoured as part of the pre-match entertainment on Friday night ahead of the Bombers Round 1 clash with the Adelaide Crows.

A crucial member of the ‘Baby Bombers’ 1993 flag, Wanganeen had a season to remember, and went on to win the Brownlow Medal in a premiership year for the club.

The classy Bomber eventually retired after 300 games for Essendon and Port Adelaide as a five-time All Australian and a member of the Essendon and Indigenous Teams of the Century.

Wanganeen, who designed the Bombers 2016 Indigenous Guernsey, will be a special guest at Essendon Chairman’s Function, he will be presented to fans on the big screen pre-game and will fire up the air raid siren ahead of the final countdown to launch on Friday night.

The Bombers’ famous preliminarily final comeback in 1993 against the Adelaide Crows will be on the big screen prior to the match.

Stay tuned to the Essendon website this week for a number of special tributes to the Bomber Legend.

Make sure you are in your seat by 7:30pm to be a part of the pre-match build up and countdown to launch.

Essendon will honour a different Bomber Legend at every home game in season 2018.

Tickets are still available, so CLICK HERE to purchase tickets to watch the Bombers take on the Crows at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-03-20/bomber-legend-revealed

oh my god dapperdon started a thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More than leaning towards Port. Tex has crossed to the dark side and won’t be returning
Not unexpected, given all the drama surrounding us recently.

Mum always say that I used to talk about Wanganeen non-stop all the time as a kid.
Have loved him as a player as long as I remember. Saw him in a pub once, bought him a beer, good bloke, loves a chat.

Essendon just announced that Gav will be officially named an Essendon Legend this Friday, and I couldn't be happier.

To this day he is still one of my favourite players to ever Don the Sash

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-03-20/bomber-legend-revealed

oh my god dapperdon started a thread

I hate to be the "it happened right in front of me guy" but FFS, it happened right in front of me. Essendon V Richmond at Princess Park, went in there with a mate where we parked in front of the legends stand. We drove in, had a few beers and pies. Standing at the back of the seats between Gav and the goals. Before he got to two steps in front of the ball, I'd already started winding up my voice... like a knob. He was two steps ahead and clear, the ball was destined for OOB by 5 meters, until Gav cam along. When I saw the swing back of the leg, I was just happy that he'd put his body and team forward by keeping the ball in play. As you can see from the Video, Turner was the furthest back on the last line, with no Bomber in sight. IMHO Gav was going for goal. No doubt. While others will say it was dumb luck.

FFS - when I go to my grave, that will surpass any opportunistic goal up until 2018, Eddie Betts included, as it was as deliberate as I type here today. Two steps clear. No forward to kick to. Time to look at the goal and execute. As deliberate as any deliberate EPL or UEFA cup goal I've seen. So wrapt I saw it live!!

Loved him as kid, my favourite player by far and still remember running around outside trying to imitate the way he kicked etc

Glad he is still a Bombers man at least partly.
You're talking about the 2000 side who went because of s**t salary cap management... Gav was seriously the worst of any Essendon player leaving for me. Ever.

Totally gutted.

My favourite player when I was a kid. I was gutted when he left, in fact, I even bought a Port Adelaide jumper. A true champion of the game, and was close to winning a Brownlow at the back end of his career. Gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back