Moved Thread Gavin Wanganeen has joined the board of the Port Adelaide Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wanganeen’s election marks the first time an Indigenous person has been on the Port Adelaide board, and the first time an ex-Indigenous player has been elected to any AFL club’s board.
He has an incredible record, from being the first Aboriginal winner of the Brownlow Medal and the first Indigenous player to play 300 AFL games, to being Port Adelaide’s inaugural captain in the AFL and a vital part of the 2004 Premiership side.
Wanganeen played 300 AFL games, including 173 for Port Adelaide, between 1991 and 2006. He was part of the club’s 1990 SANFL Premiership team and its historic 2004 AFL Premiership side.
He also won the 1993 Premiership and 1993 Brownlow Medal while playing with Essendon.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-02-08/wanganeen-elected-to-board
Can't argue that gav has been a great AFL player .. onya Gav

Last edited:

Normally I'd agree with you given Port's recent history, but Wanganeen is an exception to the rule. He's spent enough time away from the Power to really grow and build an outstanding community outreach.

How would that translate to board acumen?

Honestly it's a little troubling for the industry he's the first indigenous board member if a club, given the level of involvement of the indigenous communities generally in the game.

Well done to Port and Wanganeen for taking the first step.

As for Freo confirming 3 indigenous players in their leadership group this year, it represents a step forward, and a rejection of racial profiling as to thelir suitable roles.

What makes a perfect board member? None of us know. But I don't think it's fair to label Wanganeen's appointment as a job for the boys. He's an excellent performed in business and community outreach without searching for the recognition or fame like many before him have.
Interesting that I haven't seen anyone querying Jimmy Bartel's qualifications as a more recent ex player, when he was appointed to our board.

I wonder what the difference could be.

Sitting on a board is the easiest job in the world, relative to pay scale and workload, in most instances. They are gift jobs. The board make decisions, but all the work is done by other people.

I always want ex-footballers on the Hawks board. I fear private citizens with big bank balances and no feel for footy.

And denigrating Port Adelaide supporters while you're at it? Yeah real classy and positive.

I didn't denigrate anyone - I said nobody cares. The implicit in that statement is that Port supporters might/will, but beyond that? Hardly anyone. Deal with it.

The second post I made corrected the statement that it was the first indigenous appointment to an AFL teams' board, which it wasn't.

Port supporters are desperate to proclaim the virtues of their club as the biggest/most successful footy club in the AFL, when the reality is that they are no less or more relevant than anyone else. And the claim that "we exist to win premierships" continues to pile the unending misery and will continue to do so, since, by that statement, you have failed in all bar one season.

I hate Port, everything they stand for and if they never win another game of football I would be happy. My hatred of Port was burned into me the first time you played at the Gabba and I had the misfortune of listening to the away supporters demand respect for the whole game. The enduring image that I recall was a fat Port supporter, with meat pie mince spilled on his shoes, beer spilling everywhere, yelling at me that WE DEMAND RESPECT.

Sure, that isn't necessarily representative of all Port fans - but footy is tribal, a fact which Port supporters should be comfortable with. I'll never respect Port, and any time I have the opportunity to remind Port fans of where they sit in the pecking order, I will do so. If I want to have a circle jerk of Lions love, I do what everyone else would do and take it to the Lions board. Which is where this thread SHOULD have been posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back