Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Why start another thread on this topic then?
Because I have free will?

If you'd read my post above you'll see that I was genuinely interested as to people's opinions. I am biased - I know it. I want people (particularly non pies and Melbourne supporters) to tell me what THEY think. And they have - and its pretty 50/50, if not Gawn ahead.

That ok?

Nicco_jj

Bigfooty Kid
Apr 27, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Op was querying right now who would you take? I’d take a tucked up in bed Grundy over Gawn who is likely 3/4’s of a bottle of bourbon deep.
Have re-worded the OP because Melbourne fans were getting too salty over semantics. Apologies to all Melbourne supporters who read in to my post much more than was written!
OP now says "next season" - which should make people consider the entirety of this season rather than just the prelim finals which are way too small a sample size to judge.

donnie5

All Australian
Mar 22, 2008
Brunswick
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Comes down to preference really. Both absolute super players and have made the ruck position relevant again, I’d be happy to have either on my side.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If anyone says 'far better' about Gawn or Grundy in relation to the other then they are biased.

I don't think you have to have one above the other, both are superstar rucks.
For Gawns case he has played as a sweeping defender while rucking this year.

If the ruck wasn't a thing then Grundy is probably a better player but Gawn took 55 contested marks to Grundys 30. Big fella was literally our best ruck and best intercept defender.

DERIBERATE

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Leeds, Bohemians
I've got a feeling Grundy will the Brownlow tonight

Probably the most dynamic player the comp this season
Every year there's a ruck who had a blinder of a year and should be in contention. Every year they end up getting about 4 votes. It's a mids award.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong would be doing a happy dance if we had either, both would be a massive upgrade on our ruck division.

But if I had to choose one I would take Grundy (even though Collingwood) because he is competitive and independently minded. Until this year every year he has been playing for a side that was getting worse yet every year he improves and adds new things to his game. And if you read any comments from him it is pretty clear that he is the one who takes the initiative to improve.

Gawn taps and takes huge marks.

Grundy taps and works below his knees.

This is like Cox vs Sandilands, but neither is as good as Cox and both are better than Sandi. Don't think there will ever be a clear winning answer.

People forget how good Sandi was. He had at least one top 10 Brownlow finish, didn't he?

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sandilands best ruck I have seen.

Gawn not far behind.

However Grundy may change the way rucks play.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hopefully going forward this season gets people's head right and they grow up a bit
Someone asked earlier why this question was asked again

Can't speak for the op , but ANY QUESTION. Relating to recognition of collingwood players past and present deserves and demands answers

Here's some examples

Sos team of the century full back
Lol ( try southby best for carlton)
Jack Reagan obvious

No player selected initially in team of century
Collier 11 flags in 13 years and a brownlow
Coventry. Enough said
Jock Mchale.

Constant denial of the best football team EVER to take the park ( 4 peat) into legend status
( should have been 6 except for Vfl tribunal president being the Richmond president)

The all Australian team ( 10 one year from Geelong) lol
The rising star
Beams
Pendelbury
Grundy. ( replaced a premiership player in the hardest spot) and played finals
Shaw

At least peanuts like Healy kb can move on
They simply can't dispute history

They do and show their bias

( both little men)

Back