Review GBU Round 5 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a huge fan of Berry but he does need a rest.

We got absolutely done by Fremantle on the counter attack as we're playing far too tall up FWD to apply any reasonable pressure.

Could see whoever was marking Frampton or Fog were taking them for a ride up the ground and dragging other players out of position.

Frampton actually did some nice things occasionally around the ground, was getting some decent intercept marks etc etc, but just can't find the scoreboard. Needs to be dropped.

As I predicted last week if Fog is not getting any goals then he doesn't have anything else in terms of weapons. Very concerning. 1 goal on the final siren is not good enough.

Also thought McPherson has been fairly average the last 3 weeks. Hasn't brought the same intensity that was there in previous games.

I'm a huge fan of Berry but he does need a rest.

We got absolutely done by Fremantle on the counter attack as we're playing far too tall up FWD to apply any reasonable pressure.

Could see whoever was marking Frampton or Fog were taking them for a ride up the ground and dragging other players out of position.

Frampton actually did some nice things occasionally around the ground, was getting some decent intercept marks etc etc, but just can't find the scoreboard. Needs to be dropped.

As I predicted last week if Fog is not getting any goals then he doesn't have anything else in terms of weapons. Very concerning. 1 goal on the final siren is not good enough.

Also thought McPherson has been fairly average the last 3 weeks. Hasn't brought the same intensity that was there in previous games.
Big call on McPherson. Is this based on possessions or form? I thought he was more than useful. Our issue was that our forward gave up possession too easily and the backlines were always exposed. I recall McPherson having a few important intercepts. His disposals are good.

1) it is simply quite baffling that frampton is even in the same conversation as himm for the spot in the seniors, let alone playing ahead of him.
2) I put this down to Nicks association with frampton at port. I would guess that it was nicks who brought frampton across when he came to the crows and now he’s doubling down on his bet when he should walk away.
1) Likewise, I am baffled. Frampton
--- was solid vs Geelong
--- but weak, vs Sydney. One weak game is forgivable, but he got worse.
--- woeful, vs GCS (our worst player)
--- woeful, vs NM (our worst player, and should have been dropped after that game)
--- had a decent first quarter yesterday, then spudded it up again, second-worst only to McAdam. Frampton's kick under no pressure from 35m out, slight angle, went ootf and is emblematic of his level of play. His kicking is not AFL standard.

However, if
2) Frampton has been gifted games-for-a-mate by Nicks, that's a serious problem and the worst possible reason for his retention, if true.

Big call on McPherson. Is this based on possessions or form? I thought he was more than useful. Our issue was that our forward gave up possession too easily and the backlines were always exposed. I recall McPherson having a few important intercepts. His disposals are good.

A bit of both. I feel like his numbers and his form are slightly down. The ball was down there enough that i feel he could have imposed himself on the game a bit more. I don't think he's close to being dropped or anything, but I've just started to notice some non-pressure errors creeping into his game, and a lack of gut-running.

--- was solid vs Geelong
--- woeful, vs NM (our worst player, and should have been dropped after that game)
--- had a decent first quarter yesterday, then spudded it up again, second-worst only to McAdam. Frampton's kick under no pressure from 35m out, slight angle, went ootf and is emblematic of his level of play. His kicking is not AFL standard.

However, if
2) Frampton has been gifted games-for-a-mate by Nicks, that's a serious problem and the worst possible reason for his retention, if true.

Nicks has explained why Frampton has been selected. It's purely down to having won and continuity. He said exactly that last week. It's equally as stupid a reason as option 2) above, but it is unfortunately real.

sh*t Vader - you are a broken record on Fog. He does some good work off the ball unlike others.

far from our worst
I thought he was good in the first quarter, and I was preparing to have to eat my words. His pass into the F50, which led directly to Tex's first goal, was excellent.

... then he flamed out, and was barely sighted for the next 2 quarters. To put it bluntly, he ran out of puff, and went MIA. Not fit enough to run out more than 1 quarter in the midfield.

Nicks clearly gave up on the Fog/midfield experiment at 3/4 time, as Fog was moved into the forward line for the last quarter. He had two notable involvements in this quarter - the first was a pack marking contest where he failed to mark the ball (surprise, surprise), but he did knock it down to Rowe, who roved the pack and kicked the goal; the second was the uncontested mark & goal in the dying moments of the game, long after the horse had bolted.

McAdam & Frampton were clearly worse than Fogarty. Lynch is 10x the player that Fogarty is, but he's carrying a toe injury which is clearly hampering him on the field - he should never have been selected. After that, it's much harder to find players who had less impact than he did.

Nicks clearly gave up on the Fog/midfield experiment at 3/4 time, as Fog was moved into the forward line for the last quarter. He had two notable involvements in this quarter - the first was a pack marking contest where he failed to mark the ball (surprise, surprise), but he did knock it down to Rowe, who roved the pack and kicked the goal; the second was the uncontested mark & goal in the dying moments of the game, long after the horse had bolted.
Rowe's goal was in the third quarter.

Fogarty did combine with Berry for the match-losing attempt to tackle Fyfe in the last quarter though.

Stolen from the Freo board. Frampton has improved since last week.

View attachment 1105911
Frampton once again with a negative rating for the second half, but had built enough of a points buffer in the 1st quarter to see him finish on the positive side of the ledger overall.

McAdam, on the other hand, had a "worse than useless" game, like Frampton's previous two.

You don’t watch the sanfl? Himm was our best player on Saturday. Took a lot of contested marks, but even better some of his pick ups off his shoe laces were first class for a 2m tall bloke. His effort in the last quarter to pick up a ground ball off his toes with two eagles on his hammer and flick a hand pass to new church who goaled was elite.

there is this perpetuating myth on here that Himm isn’t up to it. He is streets ahead of frampton, his sanfl form has been improving to the point he was our best on Saturday

it is simply quite baffling that frampton is even in the same conversation as himm for the spot in the seniors, let alone playing ahead of him.

I put this down to Nicks association with frampton at port.I would guess that it was nicks who brought frampton across when he came to the crows and now he’s doubling down on his bet when he should walk away.
Thats a ridiculous assertion.

He's playing Frampton because Himmelberg had an interrupted PS and was in god awful form through the internal hitouts and early SANFL trials. The time to make a change was last week, but even then Berg is keeping the seat warm for Thilthorpe.... who we MUST get in the side.

--- was solid vs Geelong

However, if

WTF??.. do you seriously believe frampton has been gifted games-for-a-mate over himmelberg because of some old Port connection?..

hahaha, * me the delusion of the himmelberg love and appreciation cheer squad in here just gets deeper and deeper!.

So, if this was the case then why all of a sudden has this started happening this year?... frampton, nicks and himm were all there last year and frampton wasnt granted games in front of himmelberg all last year.

frampton has been given games over himmelberg this season because of one thing and one thing only.. that is.. himm has been rubbish. I seriously dont understand how often it has to be said.

himmelberg has been crap at sanfl level and frampton has been crap at AFL level.

neither are worthy of an AFL guernsey at present.

himmelberg shouldve been delisted last year but was given a new contract on the back of 6 decent games at the back end of the year.. 6 decent games in four years at the club!.

frampton should bever have been given the contract he was given when he came over as a reject from Power.. they new he was crap yet we mysteriously decided he was worthy of a three year contract!.. reid and co strike again!

we should be in Callum Colman-Jones’s ear.. get him home to replace the two duds we have in billy n elliot.

but we’ll have some competition for CCJ because theres apparently a few clubs looking at him at present. Hes an SA lad though so we could be better placed.

tell the tigers we will do a straight swap for him with McAsey!.. although, we may need to add something to sweeten the deal given what mcaseys shown so far!.

CCJ will be 10 times the player of billy n elliot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Footy Express bus didn't come. Were they running yesterday? I waited for ages, nothing. Drove in and noticed bunches of Crows fans waiting at all the stops looking up the street anxiously.

Huge queue to get in the ground. One bloke at the front of the queue slowly opening packets of masks for anyone who forget theirs (over 50% of people didn't have a mask). Finally got through and my ticket didn't work. Sorry, you'll need to go to another gate.

Righto... another huge queue. Got to front, ticket didn't work. Was obviously happening to quite a few people as there was a staff member rushing from turnstile to turnstile with a "master ticket" letting people in when their tickets didn't work.

Missed the start of the game including Tex's mark. Decided to get some food. The outlet near my seat was closed. Went to another one, huge queues even though the game had started. Finally got to the front and realised what the hold up was... no food. People standing there waiting for anything to be brought out. Staff member hurried through with a huge tray of frozen pies and pasties. Screw that, find my seat and will try again at half time.

Just before half time I headed down for food again. Huge queues again even before the siren sounded. No movement at all. I had a look at the front - no food again.

And we played stinky football. Fun times!

Watching the replay now - boy were we fumbly

Constantly taking two grabs to pick up the ball, handballs that the player had to stop and collect on the bounce

A little more sharpness and that game would have looked very different. We often had good numbers, good shape to attack with and had the ball in dangerous positions but sloppiness undid it all.

Also we've gone back a fraction to hurried kicks from packs - Laird and Keays in particular. We can't mark or crumb to save our lives. Absolutely must use the ball by hand, run with the ball wherever possible and use short kicks. Anything else is a guaranteed match loser

I think there are a lot of people who have misinterpreted the result from the weekend.

Yes the scoreboard suggests we lost. Yes we didn't gain the 4 points for the ladder.

BUT,

Did we manage to squeeze in an extra game for veterans that were injured? Yes. Tick.
Did we manage to get all our injured blokes on the field for the game? Yes. Tick to the fitness and medical staff.
Did we manage to go in unchanged? Yes. Tick.
Did we manage to back in the group that played really crap the week before? Yes. Massive tick.
Did we manage to have the single most important result this weekend - continuity in our team? Yes. Huge win.

Some people are just focussed on game results and don't see the other big wins we had this week. Why do you think all our coaches were celebrating the continuity angle before the game? Because we had already ticked off that most important requirement.

Hence we clearly won. The result itself was not the most important part and it's time some supporters understood this.

I think there are a lot of people who have misinterpreted the result from the weekend.

Yes the scoreboard suggests we lost. Yes we didn't gain the 4 points for the ladder.

BUT,

Did we manage to squeeze in an extra game for veterans that were injured? Yes. Tick.
Did we manage to get all our injured blokes on the field for the game? Yes. Tick to the fitness and medical staff.
Did we manage to go in unchanged? Yes. Tick.
Did we manage to back in the group that played really crap the week before? Yes. Massive tick.
Did we manage to have the single most important result this weekend - continuity in our team? Yes. Huge win.

Some people are just focussed on game results and don't see the other big wins we had this week. Why do you think all our coaches were celebrating the continuity angle before the game? Because we had already ticked off that most important requirement.

Hence we clearly won. The result itself was not the most important part and it's time some supporters understood this.

Our coaches would have been laughing at the hubris of Fremantle making 4 unforced changes and destroying their continuity credits. Turns out they'd won the previous week, so those changes were just made for the sake of it. Amateurs.

Watching the replay now - boy were we fumbly

Constantly taking two grabs to pick up the ball, handballs that the player had to stop and collect on the bounce

A little more sharpness and that game would have looked very different. We often had good numbers, good shape to attack with and had the ball in dangerous positions but sloppiness undid it all.

Also we've gone back a fraction to hurried kicks from packs - Laird and Keays in particular. We can't mark or crumb to save our lives. Absolutely must use the ball by hand, run with the ball wherever possible and use short kicks. Anything else is a guaranteed match loser

The fumbles and no one crumbing the packs were the issues that frustrated me.

WTF??.. do you seriously believe frampton has been gifted games-for-a-mate over himmelberg because of some old Port connection?..

hahaha, fu** me the delusion of the himmelberg love and appreciation cheer squad in here just gets deeper and deeper!.

So, if this was the case then why all of a sudden has this started happening this year?... frampton, nicks and himm were all there last year and frampton wasnt granted games in front of himmelberg all last year.

frampton has been given games over himmelberg this season because of one thing and one thing only.. that is.. himm has been rubbish. I seriously dont understand how often it has to be said.

himmelberg has been crap at sanfl level and frampton has been crap at AFL level.

neither are worthy of an AFL guernsey at present.

himmelberg shouldve been delisted last year but was given a new contract on the back of 6 decent games at the back end of the year.. 6 decent games in four years at the club!.

frampton should bever have been given the contract he was given when he came over as a reject from Power.. they new he was crap yet we mysteriously decided he was worthy of a three year contract!.. reid and co strike again!

we should be in Callum Colman-Jones’s ear.. get him home to replace the two duds we have in billy n elliot.

but we’ll have some competition for CCJ because theres apparently a few clubs looking at him at present. Hes an SA lad though so we could be better placed.

tell the tigers we will do a straight swap for him with McAsey!.. although, we may need to add something to sweeten the deal given what mcaseys shown so far!.

CCJ will be 10 times the player of billy n elliot.
Honestly have you ever watched CCJ play?...I'm being serious here by the way, whilst he might be an upgrade on Frampton and perhaps Himmelberg though I doubt his best is much better than Himmelberg's best CCJ's awkward kicking action (ball drop) would need to have improved quite a bit since I last saw him play VFL/SANFL/U18's. No doubt he's the better ruckman of the trio and can take a strong contested mark but his kicking is about on par with the other two.

Last edited:
Jones wont make it in the sanfl, he only got 5 possessions playing in the middle yesterday. Let alone the AFL
No way he plays another AFL game
We are apparently rebuilding. Its not about win loss, its about getting games into the kids and seeing who's who at this level.
Therefore there is nothing to lose by giving Jones a run to see if he can cut it. Alot of players play better at the top level than the lower level.
We invested a top 10 pick in him. That is worth a massive amount. We need to give him every opportunity to kick on, otherwise we are just burning picks. Valuable picks.
At this point neither Ned or Jones have shown they are worth a first round pick. We are playing Ned continuously when he hasn't deserved to keep his spot. Why? The answer to that is the exact reason we need to do the same with Jones.
McAstey the same. At this point we have burnt three high level first round picks in those guys.
Don't ever come here and say Hamish is good at his job if you believe Jones and McAstey shouldn't be given an opportunity to prove themselves at ADL level.

I have been critical of Hamish for many of his 1st round selections.
Jones's confidence is absolutely shot, he cant even get a kick in the sanfl.
I not sure how broken a man you want in him.
He has played 24 games and hasn't delivered and will never deliver, the club know that and why they aren't playing him in the afl anymore

Honestly have you ever watched CCJ play?...I'm being serious here by the way, whilst he might be an upgrade on Frampton and perhaps Himmelberg though I doubt his best is much better than Himmelberg's best CCJ's awkward kicking action (ball drop) would need to have improved quite a bit since I last saw him play VFL/SANFL/U18's. No doubt he's the better ruckman of the trio and can take a strong contested mark but his kicking is about on par with the other two.

His kicking style is a little awkward looking but he is pretty effective in front of goals.. its nowhere near Riley OB levels of awkward!..

had a blinder on the weekend in the VFL

his hands and contested marking abilities are a thousand times better than himm or frampton.

I just think neither Frampton or Himm are the answer and arent the players to be taking forward.

The media is currently pushing this line thats theres a real shortage of quality talls going around at AFL level at the moment.. do you agree?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back