Review GBU Round 5 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of silly errors in defense, couple of missed shots by Tex go through and we win. That game really could have gone either way and then the entire feeling in this thread would be different. I dont buy into the whole "lets get the pitchforks and fire and go to the selectors house" crap.

Efficiency inside 50 today was 36% from our average of 51%. Delivery was poor, burned quite a few opportunities.

Lynch and Frampton seemed the weakest today. Id bring in Hatley and TT or EH. I am really glad the club has played Frampton for a block of games, shits me off no end when players get 1 game and dropped. Club can now give him some performance criteria he needs to work on in the SANFL to improve.

Did Hately play at all this weekend?

We were beaten at the selection table this week. Freo went in with a tall forward line and we didn't react at all. We also should have played another inside mid (Hately) to cover their big bodied mids in Mundy and Fyfe.

Is Mundy the most underated footballer going around? If he played for a Vic club he'd be rated up there with some big names.

Last edited:
You were the one wishing for us to be absolutely smashed right, to teach Nicks a lesson?

Not your finest hour.

Jones is cooked. 5 disposals in the SANFL.
Our club thinks its in a premiership window again. Selection is less about rebuilding an playing kids and more about winning as many games as we can.

We need to play Jones to see if he can make it.
We have persisted with Frampton and Ned when they haven't performed week after week, yet we won't bring Jones in.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our midfield is gash.

Laird - rookie
Seedsman - pick 32
Keays - rookie
Berry - pick 28
Rob - rookie

Those are the resources we invested into the most important part of the team.

It must be the lowest value midfield in the comp.

Why we keep drafting talls and short people is fcuking beyond me.

This is a shocking post. So because of where a player was rated when he was 18, that means they're no good? If you did a redraft of Laird's draft do you think he goes closer to the top 10 or does he stay as a rookie? Who cares where they were taken, this just shows how well we've drafted/traded for these players.

We lost due to bombing it long I50 to players who can't take contested marks to save their life (with Tex injured today) compared to their I50 entries which were hitting up open players all over the zone. Our mids didn't play well today and their mids did, but I think it's a stretch to say that it's because our players were drafted with late picks.

That's a good a game from Fog as I've seen.

I hope he's got a few more games in him as there is something brewing
I reacon hes never gonna be a “mid/forward” but can definately be a “forward/mid”.. if that makes sense. More a forward with bursts in the midfield than the other way around.

hes only played two games so far as an afl foward/mid and definately improved and was more involved than last week.

might take a season before he gets there but we’re rebuilding so what have we got to lose?.. at the very least it will help him further build his fitness and tank..

It's hard to be too critical of the players today really. We lost this game yesterday when we announced the team.

Mchenry played an interesting game. Got far more involved then usual and the longer it went on, the more comfortable he got. Nailed a set shot from 35 he wouldn't have made the distance a few weeks ago. Saying that, he needs to really become a clean player. To be so fumbly at his height is not going to cut it.

I was expecting a horrid year from Seedsman but he has been excellent. I was wrong.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unchanged line ups and carrying injured players is part of the Adelaide Crows brand. We love it. One of the contributing factors to us getting flogged in the 2017 Grand final.

We've sneakily gone and made the forward line too ******* tall again, the injured players is icing on that turd cake.

It finally seems like there's a plan for him. We haven't really known how to use him in the past or how to fit him around other players.

Whether he's good enough to fulfil the role who knows but we've at least started something
Yep, running him with Fyfe and Mundy and last week with Cunnington looks to be a master stroke at this stage.

5 touches last week, 11 this week. Upwards trajectory is what we are after

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAdam is two last quarter cash ins from being droppable.

Needs to work on having a consistent intensity.

Spent most of the day playing behind as well, and hasn't done any ground level work off the talls since the Geelong game.

Fog with 11 touches, a goal, a goal assist and 4 score assists, he has very good impact per possession. Also got more involved through the middle today, that high free kick he gave away from a crunching tackle on Wilson was a terrible call, clearly ducked into that. Love his ability to just shrug off players and still execute long kicks inside 50 as well. This will be a slow build with his midfield craft as he hasn’t played much through there, but the small early signs are solid.
Fog needs to look at how far and hard Mundie ran today. Mundie isn’t quick but always has time with ball in hand and he hits up targets. Has been a superb player, and he killed us today.

The reality is we are rebuilding. If anything the wins so far will prevent us from getting in more elite talent end of season.
The midfield clearly can't compete at the level in terms of talent.

It's worth noting wins are worth their weight in gold in a rebuild. After all, it breeds confidence and trust that we're heading in the right direction, providing we're playing the kids and they're playing important roles. At the moment, we've had that.

The midfield can't at the moment, though it's worth noting we're missing our best player in Sloane. The next step for our midfield is for Schoenberg to convert these mid-teen disposal matches (and doing a lot of good with it, usually) into big games.

The result was fairly obvious earlier in the week. Some bad signs against North combined with injuries mounting and not a great deal of depth on our list. When I heard we had injuries to numerous players which I knew we would still play I loaded up on Freo. The game panned out the way I thought it would although I had them winning by 25-30 points. Losing Cerra hurt them and they didn't perform overly well in the first half.

You couldn't question our pressure early. We just didn't have the talent out there that they had. I will trade off no more wins this year with getting games into the young kids. Pick 3-5 will benefit us as well. The next two drafts are critical along with our ability to finally bring in some genuine quality experienced players through the trade. I know we need changes in our recruitment dept along with a decent list manager and football director. It's up to the club whether they continue on with the people who put us in this position or make the necessary changes that are required for change.

It's worth noting wins are worth their weight in gold in a rebuild. After all, it breeds confidence and trust that we're heading in the right direction, providing we're playing the kids and they're playing important roles. At the moment, we've had that.

The midfield can't at the moment, though it's worth noting we're missing our best player in Sloane. The next step for our midfield is for Schoenberg to convert these mid-teen disposal matches (and doing a lot of good with it, usually) into big games.
It's more than that for mine. Need class mids with elite footskills and the only way to get them is in the draft.
The cattle at Nick's disposal will need to take charge when Tex and Sloane retire - which could cause another rebuild if we don't have the elite talent to take over.

I didn't see him as a junior only when drafted but fair point. I think his improvement is as much decision making as opposed to kicking technique?
Nope decision making was always one of his strengths, kicking a real weakness and there's an interview around somewhere where he said that the coaches had a real focus on improving his kicking at first.

I expect Berry's disposal and decision making to improve with time. Jumping straight into an AFL midfield missing two of its three best players is a challenge and would be reasonably overwhelming for a first year player
Add to that he didnt play at all last year due to covid..pretty impressive start to his career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back