Review GBU Round 5 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

This was coming and I reckon most honest observers knew it. Fremantle is 2 years ahead of us in their rebuild, and their midfield is far more developed. Sloane out was significant today. (Stoppage clearances 34-19 is a walloping).

Fremantle changed their game style in the second half from high possession to more direct and our structure lapsed at key moments.

I think we should still be confident that we're heading in the right direction. Changes needed at selection, for sure.

We started the year with a good head of steam, but that's waning. The test over the next month will be can we maintain confidence and composure when trailing against better sides, and away from home. Getting pumped is possible but we've shown now that it shouldn't be acceptable.

It's a rebuild folks - we're going to see more Ls than Ws for a couple of years.

Good: first half effort, cancelled out by

BAD:
--- poor second half
--- the loss, beaten by a middle-table team
--- hammered at clearances, where were our mids?

Ugly:
--- Crows' non-reaction (Coaches and players) when Freo ran hard into gear after half-time.

Our midfield is gash.

Laird - rookie
Seedsman - pick 32
Keays - rookie
Berry - pick 28
Rob - rookie

Those are the resources we invested into the most important part of the team.

It must be the lowest value midfield in the comp.

Why we keep drafting talls and short people is fcuking beyond me.

It seems as if we are digging in with Frampton and no matter how bad he is, he plays.

Game was lost at selection playing injured players and hubris thinking we are heading towards finals going in unchanged. Reeks of the Pyke and a conservative selection philosophy and distrust in other squad players.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Backed the boys in after a largely poor performance and lost.

Rolled the dice on injured players and lost.

Where have I heard those before?

Back them in to respond next week though. You don’t make change for change’s sake. The 22 has scaled some serious heights, Nicks is spit on, got to keep the continuity credits rolling with this 22. If we make an unforced change we’ll turn into Carlton or Gold Coast immediately.

Our midfield is gash.

Laird - rookie
Seedsman - pick 32
Keays - rookie
Berry - pick 28
Rob - rookie

Those are the resources we invested into the most important part of the team.

It must be the lowest value midfield in the comp.

Why we keep drafting talls and short people is fcuking beyond me.
Sloane and Crouch out. Greenwood was not required.

I'm not angry at the players on this one. My ire is directed at the coaches. We keep selecting Frampton when he's clearly not up to it and we were arrogant enough to play guys who are clearly injured.

here’s a tip, it’s nearly never the players. Our club has an overarching philosophy that was set in stone by Neil Craig. It’s not changed

Back them in to respond next week though. You don’t make change for change’s sake. The 22 has scaled some serious heights, Nicks is spit on, got to keep the continuity credits rolling with this 22. If we make an unforced change we’ll turn into Carlton or Gold Coast immediately.
Is there a worst post of the year award?

Pretty good game, credit to freo, I thought them going tall would mean we would run over them but it went the other way.

Good
Butts did well again, so did our host of young mids.
Doedee was great.
Had our chances, especially in the first half, tex had two misses plus all those good movements thru half forward that we stuffed up gave us more than enough chances to win it, so the loss is on us.
Fog got better again, for his mid craft he needs to add a skill he hasn't used much in his career by the looks and that's a handpass lol.
Thought Kelly played pretty well too.

Bad
I think we tried to take possession a bit much, couldve tried to do some more knock ons etc since freo was doing that and it was working.
Also we got sucked to the contest a bit, leaving them free outside, shouldve changed that up.
Also could've used ROB to just tap it our direction and gain some territory.
Geez, is there a no holding the ball on Fyfe rule? There's a few times there I swear he shouldve gone. Maybe a few other holding the balls we shoulda got, apart from that and a bit in the first quarter umpiring was pretty good.
Has tex hurt his calf? Maybe Berg and Frampton are in next week, both tried hard this week.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back