Review GBU Round 5 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Errrr... we just uprooted and changed our entire football department and key admin posts.
Except the half of the board that is spectacularly bland, the entirety of the recruiting team that has built a list free of elite talent, and half the coaches that ensure we have the mosrt unispiring coaching panel in the big league.
One can only hope they have the intestinatl ovaries to complete the cleanout at the end of the year. Be intersting to see if Burgess can acgtually do anythign at a club with such a stagnant ethos.

Wh
The melts on this board from the usual posters are expected, but that wasn’t a poor performance today. Won centre clearances, got smashed in stoppage clearances but generally defended quite well until late in the 4th. ROB, Seed and Laird all good through the middle, Doedee and Smith continuing their good seasons down back. Sholl wasn’t too bad. Hamill tries to take the game on. Berry played his best game.

Just need to move on from Frampton though. While his marking was slightly better, he just isn’t a scoreboard threat at all and can’t make the distance from 40 metres. Berg’s strong game yesterday has to see him come in.
Whats your criteria for a poor performance then? Enabling fans with low expectations will ensure we stay nowhere. If we were actually focusing on development we might see better selection, rather than getting excited over a few cheap and meaningless wins and chasing more, and ultimately have happier fans.

That's what happens when you replace Sloane with Fogarty. Today Fogarty played mostly in the midfield - he blew up in the first quarter, and barely touched it after that. The ball wasn't delivered on a silver platter, and - surprise, surprise - he didn't get near it on the occasions when he went forward. 3 goals from 5 disposals last week means nothing, given how bad North Melbourne are. Today is the reality of where Fog is at.
True, but surely he has to get a lengthy go at it so the FOG question can be put to bed once and for all. Id like to see him get a year under Darren Burgess to see if he can get a midfield tank, lose some overburden, and become a proper running swingman.

Not really that fussed with the result, we were right with them the whole game except for that 10 minute patch in the last when they kicked those quick goals and put the game out of reach. They are a couple of years ahead of us in the rebuild, we have to expect plenty of inconsistent games with such a young side. We were competitive majority of the game which is what I want to see each week.

A few things that did annoy me, Macadam was clearly not 100% and should not have been selected. He was behind his man every time it went forward and had no impact on the game what so ever.

Frampton needs to finally be dropped, I was ok with them giving him a block of games to see what he has, but that's done now so time for Berg or TT to get their block.

Our midfield still needs some work, we still do not have that genuine A grade talent in there yet and I am worried we don't have one capable of getting there on our list. That needs to be priority number 1 this off season, hopefully we manage to get a top 5 pick and finally draft us one.

Except the half of the board that is spectacularly bland, the entirety of the recruiting team that has built a list free of elite talent, and half the coaches that ensure we have the mosrt unispiring coaching panel in the big league.
One can only hope they have the intestinatl ovaries to complete the cleanout at the end of the year. Be intersting to see if Burgess can acgtually do anythign at a club with such a stagnant ethos.

Did you mean to post this in 2020 and it just lagged?

We did a pretty solid job clearing out all our deadweight coaches last year.

1) the biggest issue is the delivery to the forward line more than anything.
2) Get an elite mid or two over the next two years while the rest of the youth is developing and improve that delivery and we’ll be set.
3) our midfield was monstered today.
1) Especially in the second half. They hit targets on the lead. The Crows kicked straight to oppo defenders or bombed away aimlessly to a pack.
2) Instead, they draft boy-bodied mids like Jones and cross their fingers.
Sloane back would help :sneaky: . Keays had career-high possessions today but still said he learned a lot from Mundy and Brayshaw/Fyfe. I'm looking forward to getting Sloane and Mrouch back.
3) Yes. They made better position, and disposed of the ball more cleanly to teammates' advantage.

What really stands out for me several hours later is
--- the Crows kicked 6.1 to their 9.7 in the second half and yet led by 4 points in the last quarter o_O
--- more posters are commenting (finally) that Frampton has to go, which was obvious after his last 2 worst-on-ground games and another 'mare today, second worst only to McAdam who looks more and more like his focus is only MOTY.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Sloane is killing us. We desperately need decent midfielders.

Frampton, terrible.

It was clear we had major problems vs Kangaroos but the final quarter papered over the cracks. After last weeks performance there should have been major changes. Let’s see what they do this week.

You were the one wishing for us to be absolutely smashed right, to teach Nicks a lesson?

Not your finest hour.

Presume you're referring to me. Just because I wanted us to get beaten doesn't mean I don't get to criticise the decisions that led to it. If anything, I have more right to criticise than the idiots who support our selection philosophies.

With McAdam and Frampton, we’re effectively playing a forward line two players short.
Yes, the shine’s gone off McAdam, and Frampton, well, he’s hit and miss. He clunks. He cement hands it. He’s aggressive and bullish and two seconds later he’s pathetically muscled out of the contest.

I thought he actually had his second best game yesterday but still not quite up to it. But who is the alternative? Himm has been ordinary in the SANFL, Thilthorpe’s not ready by the looks. I’d be giving Himmelberg a crack though.

I don't think McHenry is dumb, I actually rate his football IQ. His problem is massively overthinking each encounter, almost as if his brain is ahead of his body.

You can see him often do stuff like missing a forward handball to a player, where the ball is to that player's advantage but they just haven't gotten to that space by the time McHenry has disposed of it.

I think he gives away frees when tackling because he's not focused on executing the basic tackle correctly. He's already thinking of winning that HTB call and where to dispose it.

The fact he's often in the right spots but doesn't have the clean execution yet is promising if he can slow down, compose himself and fix his execution

The Energiser Bunny on steroids.

Yes, the shine’s gone off McAdam, and Frampton, well, he’s hit and miss. He clunks. He cement hands it. He’s aggressive and bullish and two seconds later he’s pathetically muscled out of the contest.

I thought he actually had his second best game yesterday but still not quite up to it. But who is the alternative? Himm has been ordinary in the SANFL, Thilthorpe’s not ready by the looks. I’d be giving Himmelberg a crack though.
Frampton seemed better in his brief stint behind the ball I thought.

Milera, Gallucci, Fogarty, Jones, McHenry, and MccAsey, with only Doedoee on the positive side of the ledger since 2015, does not make for pretty reading
Milera, Doedee, Fogarty, McHenry and McAsey will all amount to something good out of that list.

Jones seems unlikely and Gallucci is gone.

I thought Frampton was quite improved this week. But that speaks more to how bad he's been the last two weeks.

You could say the same for midfield Fogarty too.
I'm happy to keep running with this for a while. I thought he was better today, made some crunching tackles that I felt in the stand. He is going to take time in the new role as long as there is improvement, however small, we give him time. That's what a rebuild is.

You don’t watch the sanfl? Himm was our best player on Saturday. Took a lot of contested marks, but even better some of his pick ups off his shoe laces were first class for a 2m tall bloke. His effort in the last quarter to pick up a ground ball off his toes with two eagles on his hammer and flick a hand pass to new church who goaled was elite.

there is this perpetuating myth on here that Himm isn’t up to it. He is streets ahead of frampton, his sanfl form has been improving to the point he was our best on Saturday

it is simply quite baffling that frampton is even in the same conversation as himm for the spot in the seniors, let alone playing ahead of him.

I put this down to Nicks association with frampton at port.I would guess that it was nicks who brought frampton across when he came to the crows and now he’s doubling down on his bet when he should walk away.

You don’t watch the sanfl? Himm was our best player on Saturday. Took a lot of contested marks, but even better some of his pick ups off his shoe laces were first class for a 2m tall bloke. His effort in the last quarter to pick up a ground ball off his toes with two eagles on his hammer and flick a hand pass to new church who goaled was elite.

there is this perpetuating myth on here that Himm isn’t up to it. He is streets ahead of frampton, his sanfl form has been improving to the point he was our best on Saturday

it is simply quite baffling that frampton is even in the same conversation as himm for the spot in the seniors, let alone playing ahead of him.

I put this down to Nicks association with frampton at port.I would guess that it was nicks who brought frampton across when he came to the crows and now he’s doubling down on his bet when he should walk away.
Which of Himm's 8 disposals in the first round, or 11 disposals in the second round gave you the impression that he was going ok? Mind you, he must have done well on the weekend for the respectable performance in a team that got absolutely belted.

I say bring him in too, but lets not be delusional about how he's been travelling in a B grade comp.

I think he goes better in the AFL anyway, but something's happened off season because he's half the player he was at the end of last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back