Review GBU v Protected Tigers - Rd 17, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why we hired Francou, Sydney's midfield coach, and put him in the forward line.

He clearly did a very good job with Sydney's midfield during his time there. But then to waste that talent giving him a completely different role? Strange stuff.
Was he a good mid-field coach or did Sydney have a pretty good midfield? You are only ever going to be as good as the cattle you have at your service.

You need speed to give yourself some space between you and your opponent and to get at the opposition.

For anyone to suggest speed isn’t important haven’t been watching Richmond for the last 2 years.
Except that, we weren’t all that much “faster” last year (with the exception of Charlie). And we dominated for the entire season except for the big one. The fact is, our ball movement IS our speed.. and when it’s on, it doesn’t matter how fast the opposition is. The problem is it’s high risk and high reward, very little in between.

Was he a good mid-field coach or did Sydney have a pretty good midfield? You are only ever going to be as good as the cattle you have at your service.
Sydney had a well drilled, well structured midfield. He was a good coach. I actually think their midfield has performed worse since he left.

No you are not. It is very easy (with the correct resources) to evaluate how good or how bad an assistant coach is.

As soon as you work out your starting point. Then you can judge the level of improvement in the players under your control. Plenty of statistics to use in the AFL world.

I didn't think Teague was a very good forward coach and he was a forward. So, first and foremost you have to be able to coach. /
Was he?

Our forward line dominated while he was here

As good as he was for 20 minutes last week ... his first 3 quarters were terrible before he had a patch .
He is nothing more than a moments player .
Didn't he get 9 coaches votes for that game?

Except that, we weren’t all that much “faster” last year (with the exception of Charlie). And we dominated for the entire season except for the big one. The fact is, our ball movement IS our speed.. and when it’s on, it doesn’t matter how fast the opposition is. The problem is it’s high risk and high reward, very little in between.
Smith
Gov
Cameron
Betts
Knight

That’s 5 players who make a huge difference to our speed from last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. 90% of those clearances were scrambled kicks straight to the opposition. We got the ball but didn't use it with any system whatsoever. GF replay.

If 90% of those clearances were scrambled kicks straight back to the opposition, then why did we still out-mark them across the ground 96 marks to 93, and stick 14 contested grabs against their 13, yet only manage 4 marks I50 for the whole night?

Because we weren't having an issue beating them in the marking, clearance, running or effort stakes anywhere outside of the forward 50. Our forward line was absent again. GF replay indeed.

Your comments re overuse of handball in midfield are very true. There appears no setting, no aim, no desire to create running or carry patterns that create quick forward thrusts. We forever kick slowly to poor contests.
Forwards have to be moving into space for the midfielders to be able to do anything other than that. If they are standing still next to their opponent, it will always be a slow, high kick to a poor contest that the opposition defenders see coming a mile away.

The stats from the mids vs the forwards that you quote are damning, for sure. Our forwards do not lead well into space, either because the space is clogged by a defender (not often) or a general lack of daring/nouse. The 4 talls (without Gov) seem to lack communication, or clear purpose together. They clog packs and get in each other's way, but vs Richmond there's the other problem of being spoiled or held illegally. Often.
When we lack Gov, our forward line is comically inefficient. Without both him and Betts it's become very obvious that opposition defenders have no fear leaving Walker in particular to attack an aerial contest as they know his second effort and speed are almost ineffectual, and the threat of Hampton and Fogarty isn't enough yet to make them remain honest.

I agree but our ball movement is no longer a weapon and doesn’t seem to be our focus. The last quarter against West Coast is the only time I’ve seen it in full swing this year. Maybe against Richmond at home in round 2. Where has it gone?

I agree but our ball movement is no longer a weapon and doesn’t seem to be our focus. The last quarter against West Coast is the only time I’ve seen it in full swing this year. Maybe against Richmond at home in round 2. Where has it gone?
In the last quarter last week we showed that it still could be. They just have to have to confidence to pull it off. Unfortunately, confidence has been flushed down the injury and high performance toilet.

How often do our KPF's make repeat leads or lead at the kicker??

Even the commentators commented on it during the Richmond game.

How often do our KPF's make repeat leads or lead at the kicker??

Even the commentators commented on it during the Richmond game.
We have gone from the best forward line to an ordinary one.

How much is personnel as opposed to change of coaching?

I suspect both are factors.

I suspect our fitness/injury staff might be a bigger factor.
I have no doubt they are the biggest factor & it's hard to properly judge our coaching staff given they don't have access to our best players.

Forwards have to be moving into space for the midfielders to be able to do anything other than that. If they are standing still next to their opponent, it will always be a slow, high kick to a poor contest that the opposition defenders see coming a mile away.

Agree, but I just can't come to terms with the standard of our moving to space all over the ground, not just the forward area.
For example, compare our cross ground movement in defence. Most teams spread early, run with vigour and look to and usually succeed in creating a loose-man link which takes the play to the wing forward. There has to be early anticipation, hard running and accurate kicking for this to work to advantage. Unfortunately when switching, the Crows are predictable, slow, loop kicks and just honestly don't look like the move is set to achieve anything but time wasting. Loose man? Ha!

I can ramble on but leave it there with just mentioning that the same lack of real endeavour applies to our kickins from the goal square. This is real predictability. Almost always to the marking tower of strength (?) in Jacobs on the right hand boundary. Purely a defensive action. Rarely is anyone front and centre or skirting the boundary line to crumb the almost certain punch out. But consistency is one of our key strongpoints.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back