Review GBU vs Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Doedee? Smith, who was reported to be in tears after yesterday's loss?
I agree that Nicks has been hindered by the Club's choice of Assistants.
Hart (forward Coach) and Godden (Mids) are two of the worst in the the AFL, confirmed by the Crows' woeful Midfield performances and low scoring this year. I'm not convinced that Clarke is getting the best out of RoB either, tap-wise.
I get that Nicks has no clout yet, but I'll never understand why Pyke persisted with the Assistants he had. Doesn't the Head Coach choose his own Assistants?
I still think as Doedee as a youngster.

Well, he’s never had a top 5 pick. And if he had one in the super draft, he would have picked Rozee or King or one of the other generational players in that range. We need to give the lads a chance for Christ’s sake.
I think you’re firing blanks with this argument trigger.

Highlight by far was when Doedee knifed that guy at full pelt and sent him off hurt

POW!

WHACK!

SNAP!

Edit: Changed links to gfycat because * giphy's quality reduction.

Last edited:

Stengle was ok. What I really liked was his ability to get front and centre under contests. It's something we are terrible at (probably because we haven't had a pack crashing big for a long time). My concern is that he doesn't have that goal sense that other quality forwards have.

I should have also added a comment about McAdam's game. It looked like a bit of a dirty day, he didn't seem to get much clean ball, he got knocked around a lot and just didn't seem like his day. But he had a lot of important contributions to us getting goals. In the end it was a good game, based purely on his desire to keep competing. That is a good sign.
stengle definately has the goal sense.. has it in spades. watch the replays of last years SANFL games.. goal sense is goal sense no matter what level you're playing in..

IMO.. i think he’s still a bit nervous when he get the ball within range and, as a result, is rushing himself.. needs to develop some composure at this level in and around the goals. this will come with experience. around the ground he has heaps of composure, even in heavy traffic.. but when he gets it inside attacking 50 he just looks panicky.

how many games has he played?.. less than 10?.. he’ll get it together soon and kick a bag in a game and then wont look back.

DJ75 I'm loving the ways that Keays has come on. Only 23, really seizing his second chance with the Crows.

Picking up 20+ consecutive weeks in a row against some decent midfielders surely elevates him beyond 'limited footballer', or on the way to that anyway. Someone made a good comparison to Mitch Robinson earlier. I don't think thats a terrible ceiling. He's slightly more athletic than the quintessential 'ill be delisted one day after 60 odd games' midfielder (ie Bastinac, Matt Thomas, Tom Bell, Mitch Hallahan, Scott Selwood couple examples that come to mind)

As much as I loathe supporters clapping off teams after they lose, I actually did it yesterday.

I thought yesterday was the first time for the whole season that they actually performed close to the standard required to actually win a game.

It even seemed like the penny dropped in the 2nd half to actually try and move the ball quickly and take the game on.

If we can continue to string together a few games like that we might actually win a game or two before the end of the year.

Himmelberg crashed a few packs, wasn't great but it was his best game for us. Gets a tick for improvement factor, up to him to kick on now.
*sigh*
I want to cheer for Himmelberg. I really do. His contested mark close to half-time was a ripper, and if he kicks that goal it lifts the whole side before the break. The blokes who are fighting to get the ball IN to the F50 love a strong-mark-and-goal like that. It's inspirational.
BUT, he missed a very easy shot/distance/angle. Then what happens?
The Bombers run the ball end-to-end on the W wing for a goal and that's really deflating for the whole side; a two-goal turnaround. Even if the Bombers had goaled after that from the clearance, it would've been 31-40 and not 26-40.
(similarly, last week, but EH not involved of course --- Crows had 10 inside 50's for 4 points after dominating the quarter. The Saints then had an end-to-end goal that drained the Crows' momentum and energy)

EH was not the only one to miss gettable goals --- if he kicked that, we win btw --- but his job is not just to crash packs and bring the ball to ground. It's imperative that he kicks those goals from within 40 metres at slight angles.

Why can't we come up with a plan that maybe actually utilises the talls we have?
I'd like to see this maybe a couple times/quarter, but it would involve some practice and gut-running. Kind of a set-play.
After a point, set-up as usual with 2 talls on the outer wing and a couple of smaller runners but on the inside (but they are decoys). The ball-kicker runs slightly R but kicks short and left to a mate in space at half-back (inside the 50m arc is ok). Meanwhile the two runners hare off into space in the middle and present as targets to the bloke who knows to look/kick into the corridor, to them. If they don't get free, he can kick deep down the line. The two talls also run back defensively into the arc to cover a turnover.
If it comes off, we're streaming down the guts, the shortest route to goal.
If it doesn't, we have two talls back to spoil any kicks on the turnover.

On second thoughts, that would require two kicks to hit a target, in a row. It's deflating that I doubt we have the cattle to do that :(.

Picking up 20+ consecutive weeks in a row against some decent midfielders surely elevates him beyond 'limited footballer', or on the way to that anyway.
Uh :( , I did not say that Keays was a 'limited footballer'. I think he's been really good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said when we rookied Ben Keays I thought he was a worthwhile low cost addition to our midfield depth and after watching almost every NEAFL game he played last year while watching a couple of the local lads from this area that were drafted by Brisbane it's certainly comes as no surprise to me. All he needed was the opportunity to actually play where he did prior to being drafted (midfield) something that rarely happened at Brisbane.

Worth remembering one of the best recruiters in the business the Swans guru Kinnear Beatson put in a bid on Keays forcing Brisbane to match early in the 2nd round of his draft year.

Murphy's was unforgivable. If the players were in opposite jumpers and the Essendon bloke was his only teammate in that scenario it would've been a hell of a kick to pick him out the way he did. Just complete momentum killer.
I remember when I was still playing U/15's I used to have to train with the U/17 & 19's at Sturt. Whenever we did circle work drills the coaches would throw a few U/19's in clash strips. I kicked to 1 of them once and got torn a new a-hole. 30 plus years later and still remember it .. *en lol

While this is repeat watch, the courage of him running with the flight of the footy and getting poleaxed and not flinching and getting straight up that’s a leader
My old man always used to tell me the harder you go in the less likely you are to get hurt, and then enjoy the contact. He was generally right

I think the end result flattered us as Essendon had some big outs but I really enjoyed watching it, so desperate for a win!!

My overall observation is why are we so flat footed??

At centre bounces, at throw ins, even at contested marks we have three guys up and no runners - we are stop start no flow!!

When was the last time you thought 'clever kick'.
Tex’s playon mid 50 to Murphy’s advantage 1 out in the 50
Since the ‘can playon during the 50m penalty’ rule was introduced 2 or 3 years ago that’s the first time I’ve seen it implemented and it resulted in a goal.

Just watched the game then. We really could have won that. Essendon were bog ordinary. So many vanilla players like Laverde, Lanford, McKernan.

Smith was fantastic for the most part. One player that is actually fit and has heart. Pretty much every push we have late in games - you can count on him being to one kickstarting it. Lynch and Tex had pretty decent games as well.

McPherson is killing it for such an inexperienced player. Looks like he has played 50 games already.
Doedee is a gun, hope his hammy isn't to bad
Jones looked to be a bit disheartened. Probably needs a rest week.

Most of our young guys had good and bad moments, looking more comfortable with the pace of the game as the weeks role on. We look a lot physically smaller than other teams though. It's painful to lose every game, but we are unearthing some future talent that will be part of our next contending team I feel.

Just watched the game then. We really could have won that. Essendon were bog ordinary. So many vanilla players like Laverde, Lanford, McKernan.

Smith was fantastic for the most part. One player that is actually fit and has heart. Pretty much every push we have late in games - you can count on him being to one kickstarting it. Lynch and Tex had pretty decent games as well.

McPherson is killing it for such an inexperienced player. Looks like he has played 50 games already.
Doedee is a gun, hope his hammy isn't to bad
Jones looked to be a bit disheartened. Probably needs a rest week.

Most of our young guys had good and bad moments, looking more comfortable with the pace of the game as the weeks role on. We look a lot physically smaller than other teams though. It's painful to lose every game, but we are unearthing some future talent that will be part of our next contending team I feel.
We definitely look smaller and less solid then other teams. Bigger bodied players will be a must over the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back