GBU vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel the coach needs to spend more time lineside instead of being up in the box on his own. He may as well be home watching the game from home and just phoning in as it is now.
Disagree. You get a much better view upstairs. The only reason to be on the sideline is to talk 1st hand to players. Now that we have phones at AO, that shouldn't be a problem

Loves it there, but most of the family still in Adelaide, would be worth a shot to see if he would come back home.
His brother is in Melbourne.

I know it’s been mentioned, but on Harding’s last point - when will Luke Brown take some responsibility as a senior player and do something other than kick long down the line. ******* useless.
I agree. he's so boring to watch.

No need to get personal. I went through the SA Education system too... and multiple means (and has always meant) "more than 1". Yes, couple = 2. A "couple of apples" is still "multiple apples".
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/multiple
Am ex-Maths teacher, to Year 12 level. Must endorse Vader --- a couple is two, is also 'multiple', even if two is not (really) all that many ;) :).

Was bored at lunch....so here is a table which sets out which teams have won the least games at Round 17 in the AFL era.....so basically we will be equal worst with Freo in 2001 and GWS in 2013 on 0 wins (interestingly both of those teams made a prelim within 5 years......).....

ClubSeasonWins @ Rd 17
Sydney19931
Fitzroy19952
Fitzroy19961
St Kilda20001.5
Fremantle20010
Richmond20071.5
Melbourne20082
Gold Coast20121
GWS20130
Brisbane20152
Gold Coast20152
Brisbane20161
Essendon20161

Wasn't Matt Hass still at Brisbane for both 2015 & 2016? A disturbing but hardly surprising coincidence...

Like everyone else I am dumbfounded as to why we did not get rid of him the same time as Burton.

Like everyone else I am dumbfounded as to why we did not get rid of him the same time as Burton.
I posed the same question. Someone replied (apologies, forgotten who) that he thought it was because Burton was the senior of the two and was responsible/culpable.
I've speculated a few times that Hass knows how to play the internal don't-sack-me game, via Networking, blame-shifting, lots of paperwork/reports, shmoozing etc, but I don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to Bickley on 5AA. He is okay with the people who created the mess steering us out of the mess. "just be positive FFS". He can't understand why supporters are being so negative.

This club is doomed.

This is footy players just looking after their own. They need to be dragged kicking and screaming to do anything. They have rose Colored glasses on.

Disagree. You get a much better view upstairs. The only reason to be on the sideline is to talk 1st hand to players. Now that we have phones at AO, that shouldn't be a problem
Watching the Saints and GC. Both coaches at ground level last 1/4. You just cant say on the phone what is needed. You need to point and emphasise what is needed. Watch EPL and top sports, how many coaches are 150m from the play in the stand.

I feel that 'lack of fitness' is being used as a bit on an excuse really.
Fitness does not explain everything that is happening imo - talent, game plan and coaching are far worse. If those things were locked away I bet we wouldn't be noticing players getting tired.

Fitness is more important than all of it. If you do not have the ability to be able to keep up with an opposition side, it does not matter how much talent you have, how great your game plan is or coaches are, you're going to be rooted to the bottom of the table.

Talent, game plan and coaching are the things which take a mid-table side to a premier. Super important once you have the basics down-pact. Fitness takes a side from the bottom to mid table, because that impacts keeping in the game longer and skill execution.

Last edited:
McHenry is not a forward, not much of anything at the moment apart from pushing players around after they have disposed of the ball. Not sure he has a spot in the 22 for the rest of the year. Can't have him and Murphy in the same side.

Probably time to push him into the midfield. He is one.

Just a thought on Hamill's concussion, the AFL is seriously going to get itself into big trouble one day. The game stops for a stretcher, why doesn't the game stop for a concussion? We're all told the head is sacrosanct, there are rules against these tackles and we know so much more about CTE, etc, yet when Hamill stood up and was clearly on another planet it's just "Give the ball to someone else so we can get this game going." Surely the umpires who had just paid the free for a sling tackle and saw the kid get up with no one behind his eyes could see he was in trouble, and would be well within their rights to pause play until he's off the ground.

Then, as often happens with concussed people, he wasn't keen on leaving the ground and the play went right past him while the trainers were trying to convince him to come off. One day a freshly concussed person will get collected again before they get off the ground and it'll be "Whoa, that was unexpected."

Yeah, I’m not sure what he is.

I know when Caleb Daniel got picked for the Bulldogs the concern was that a player that small didn’t have the versatility now demanded by coaches of being able to play in multiple positions. He was simply too small.

Since then he’s found his niche as a cool headed distributor from half back.

Right now I’m concerned that Ned has the same problem without a similar solution. I’m not sure “Energizer Bunny” is an actual position.
Jones and McHenry are the typical example of us picking “great kids”

Yeah, I’m not sure what he is.

I know when Caleb Daniel got picked for the Bulldogs the concern was that a player that small didn’t have the versatility now demanded by coaches of being able to play in multiple positions. He was simply too small.

Since then he’s found his niche as a cool headed distributor from half back.

Right now I’m concerned that Ned has the same problem without a similar solution. I’m not sure “Energizer Bunny” is an actual position.

Ned has a spot we could use him in. In the midfield. It's not like we have any answers there that aren't Keays at the moment, and it probably suits his skill set better. After all, he has a nice side step, seems to have some game sense, and it allows him more opportunities to use his defensive game, which we desperately need it there.

Of course, that might be just transferring him from one poor coach to another, but he was drafted as a mid.

Just a thought on Hamill's concussion, the AFL is seriously going to get itself into big trouble one day. The game stops for a stretcher, why doesn't the game stop for a concussion? We're all told the head is sacrosanct, there are rules against these tackles and we know so much more about CTE, etc, yet when Hamill stood up and was clearly on another planet it's just "Give the ball to someone else so we can get this game going." Surely the umpires who had just paid the free for a sling tackle and saw the kid get up with no one behind his eyes could see he was in trouble, and would be well within their rights to pause play until he's off the ground.

Then, as often happens with concussed people, he wasn't keen on leaving the ground and the play went right past him while the trainers were trying to convince him to come off. One day a freshly concussed person will get collected again before they get off the ground and it'll be "Whoa, that was unexpected."
Umpires have authority to stop the game at any time if they think player safety is an issue. A player being supported by medical staff, (who did not call for a stretcher,) is not really at risk of further injury unless the ball heads back in that direction. If the play headed back towards Hamill then they would have stopped it.

They should have just taken Hamill straight off at the nearest boundary and/or signalled for assistance though. It was obvious he wasn't coming back and thus the penalties for such actions were essentially meaningless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back