Analysis GBU vs Goldies

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Im all for flying the flag, but you've got to pick your moments, and that wasn't one of them. Harbrow couldn't have done much differently in the circumstances.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
They should have flown the flag the week before when Jones was smashed in the back of the head by the campaigner Macdonald. Murphy needs to learn to not open himself up to unnecesary injuries. He was lucky Harbrow did the right thing. Next time he may not be so lucky.

I do think it's been a very insightful and interesting game especially for those players who are polarising.

Looking at some of the stats was very interesting:

Greenwood
Disposals: 18 @ 67% Accuracy.
Contested Possessions: 15
Score: 2.1
Pressure acts: 15
Tackles: 1 (0 inside 50)
TOG: 88 minute
Metres gained: 146m
Clearances:3

This stood out as a good all round game from Greenwood and a good first up effort. His ability to impact the scoreboard and many other areas in 88 minutes is pleasing. Nothing on its own stands out, but the combination of all those stats is impressive given tog.

Laird:
Disposals: 28 @ 82%
Contested: 5
Score: 0.0
Pressure acts: 10
TOG: 108m
Metres Gained: 408m
Clearances:1

This said workman like to me. Metres gained was good, but nothing else really outstanding, mostly uncontested. Played a role, was reliable when needed. Link man.

Smith
Disposals: 27 @ 85%
Score 2.1
Pressure acts: 6
Tackles: 0
TOG: 105 minutes
Metres Gained: 674m
Clearances: 1

This is the perfect free running half back game from smith which is apparent from the metres gained and low pressure acts. He was given free license here to just run and create and the fact he was accurate and able to hit the scoreboard made it a really good game from him.

Knight
Disposals: 18 @ 72%
Contested: 7
Tackles: 4 (3 inside 50)
TOG: 95m (56% in defensive half)
Metres Gained: 99m

I think the pressure acts were good considering he had 3 tackles inside 50 but considering he spent more time in the defensive half, didn’t impact the scoreboard and only gained 99m, to me it looks like he did a lot of pointless running. Not a great game imo.

Murphy
Disposals: 14 @ 64%
Contested: 9
Score 3.0
Pressure acts: 16
Tackles 5 ( 2 inside 50)
TOG: 95m (50/50)
Metres Gained: 295m
Clearances:0

Clearly a good return for a small forward. The 16 pressure acts, 5 tackles were good with the 2 inside 50 shows good pressure. The metres gained showed that he roamed up and down much more effectively than Knight did. Needs to clean up his disposal but a much better game overall.

Betts
Disposal 14 @ 57%
Contested 11
Score 6.3 (11 score involvements)
Pressure acts: 11
Tackles 2 (1 inside 50)
TOG: 109m (92% forward)
Metres Gained: 238m
Clearances: 2

For someone to spend 92% of the time in the forward half (only 2 possessions were outside the forward 50) and get 11 contested possessions and gain 238m, to me says he’s a master at working in close. The score speaks for itself, but anyone suggesting he didn’t earn those goals is crazy.

Mackay
Disposals: 23 @ 87%
Score 0.0
Pressure acts: 29
Tackles: 8
TOG: 103m (64% Defensive half)
Metres Gained:477
Clearances: 5

Hard to argue that this was a great game by DMac, the pressure acts and tackles along with the metres gained and accuracy of ball use made it one of his best games in a long while.

Mrouch
Disposals: 36 @75%
Score 0.0
Pressure Acts: 13
Tackles: 2
TOG: 82m
Metres Gained: 291m
Clearances: 0

Lots of possessions but mostly an unconstested game from MRouch. Despite accumulating big possession numbers, not sure how damaging they were. Perhaps played more of a link role, but would potentially be disappointing by his lofty standards.

Sloane
Disposal 32 @66%
Contested: 20
Score 0.0
Pressure acts: 25
Tackles 6
TOG: 100m
Metres Gained: 477m
Clearances 7 (6 out of stoppages, 1 out of centre)

A monster game from Sloane. Made a massive difference in close and would be a key reason we started winning the ball out of the contest. Legitimate claims for BOG.

Brouch
disposal 36 @61%
Contested 15
Score 0.0
Pressure acts 19
Tackles 6 (1 inside 50)
TOG: 95m
Metres Gained 286m
Clearances 4 (2 out of stoppage 2 out of centre)

Pretty good contested game rom Brouch. Good clearance numbers and pressure acts. We need at least 2 midfielders to be working at this level to give us any chance of winning games. Better than his bother, but probably not as clean due to being in the contest more. Should be very happy with this return though.

CEY
Disposal 29 @76%
Contested 12
Score 0.0 (9 score involvements and 2 goal assists)
Pressure acts: 31
Tackles 8
TOG 96m
Metre gained: 347m
Clearances: 5 (3,2)

Underrated game I think. Has legitimate claims for 2nd best midfielder on the night. Excellent impact in close with team high 31 pressure acts and tackles. Considering the metres gained and clearances, he had without a doubt his best ever game for the AFC.

Quality post.

It's interesting the defenders took responsibility for our form by saying they've been playing to loose. Yet Smith and laird ran free, if you were to just look at thier stats.

Smith said after the game they tightened up this week.

And the older crouch best game for us. His creativity starting tp become a weapon.

Phuq I want to see this side in full flight.

I do think it's been a very insightful and interesting game especially for those players who are polarising.

Greenwood

This stood out as a good all round game from Greenwood and a good first up effort. His ability to impact the scoreboard and many other areas in 88 minutes is pleasing. Nothing on its own stands out, but the combination of all those stats is impressive given tog.

Laird:

This said workman like to me. Metres gained was good, but nothing else really outstanding, mostly uncontested. Played a role, was reliable when needed. Link man.

Smith
Score 2.1

This is the perfect free running half back game from smith which is apparent from the metres gained and low pressure acts. He was given free license here to just run and create and the fact he was accurate and able to hit the scoreboard made it a really good game from him.

Knight

I think the pressure acts were good considering he had 3 tackles inside 50 but considering he spent more time in the defensive half, didn’t impact the scoreboard and only gained 99m, to me it looks like he did a lot of pointless running. Not a great game imo.

Murphy
Score 3.0
Tackles 5 ( 2 inside 50)

Clearly a good return for a small forward. The 16 pressure acts, 5 tackles were good with the 2 inside 50 shows good pressure. The metres gained showed that he roamed up and down much more effectively than Knight did. Needs to clean up his disposal but a much better game overall.

Betts
Disposal 14 @ 57%
Contested 11
Tackles 2 (1 inside 50)

For someone to spend 92% of the time in the forward half (only 2 possessions were outside the forward 50) and get 11 contested possessions and gain 238m, to me says he’s a master at working in close. The score speaks for itself, but anyone suggesting he didn’t earn those goals is crazy.

Mackay
Score 0.0

Hard to argue that this was a great game by DMac, the pressure acts and tackles along with the metres gained and accuracy of ball use made it one of his best games in a long while.

Mrouch
Score 0.0

Lots of possessions but mostly an unconstested game from MRouch. Despite accumulating big possession numbers, not sure how damaging they were. Perhaps played more of a link role, but would potentially be disappointing by his lofty standards.

Sloane
Disposal 32 @66%
Score 0.0
Tackles 6

A monster game from Sloane. Made a massive difference in close and would be a key reason we started winning the ball out of the contest. Legitimate claims for BOG.

Brouch
disposal 36 @61%
Contested 15
Score 0.0
Pressure acts 19
Tackles 6 (1 inside 50)
Metres Gained 286m

Pretty good contested game rom Brouch. Good clearance numbers and pressure acts. We need at least 2 midfielders to be working at this level to give us any chance of winning games. Better than his bother, but probably not as clean due to being in the contest more. Should be very happy with this return though.

CEY
Disposal 29 @76%
Contested 12
Tackles 8
TOG 96m

Underrated game I think. Has legitimate claims for 2nd best midfielder on the night. Excellent impact in close with team high 31 pressure acts and tackles. Considering the metres gained and clearances, he had without a doubt his best ever game for the AFC.
For mine Knight and Lynch both need to lift. Both should be the most under pressure forwards to lose their spots if their form continues. Lynch seems to panic with his disposal and doesn't seem to realise he has more time than he realises. Doesn't seem switched on mentally.

Last edited:

Liked the 2nd gamer Berg’s intent to just compete and chase and got his reward with the great pass from our 5th gamer. Would keep him in for at least 4 games. JJ did nothing to stake his case for a recall.
Totally agree. Roos commentary really annoyed me though as kept referring to jj and made it sound as though he would have thrived with that delivery. He talked down the berg. I really don’t like the way roo talks about our players. Far too matey. He’s a board member ffs

Totally agree. Roos commentary really annoyed me though as kept referring to jj and made it sound as though he would have thrived with that delivery. He talked down the berg. I really don’t like the way roo talks about our players. Far too matey. He’s a board member ffs
JJs contract weighing heavily on Ricciuto's mind maybe

Speaking of Ricciuto - his *ing laugh while he commentates - I hate it

When Eddie kicked GOTY I like Brad Johnson going off, it was genuine. Then you hear Roo's 'Haw Haw... Haw Haw' coming through afterwards. He laughs like that all the bloody time - Hate it

Eddie, Smith, Keath, Murphy, Crouches were fantastic. Very strong effort from CEY. Nicely played, Mackay.

Brilliant to have Greenwood back - he should start in the centre square and then go forward.

Solid effort by ROB, enjoyed having Himmelberg out there.

Tex was a lot better and as mentioned he seemed to enjoy being more the FF.

Lynch was just awful, his knock on to Eddie aside. He telegraphs his passes and they're either cut off or he misses the target anyway. His only 'move' is the duck-under-the-opponent's-tackle-and-risk-decapitation again.

Feels like Talia is on his last legs. He's unable to blanket opponents like he once did and provides no rebound. Please prove me wrong and improve, mate.

So damn frustrating to see Milera go down - Hanley is an absolute ball of muscle and power; hit him like a rocket.

Hberg was finding the ball but fumbled the ball a few times, just nerves I guess and given time he should come good. Keith was solid down back, really like him in the team, bit like a Rutten but a tad more mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have we heard Pyke say anything about being down on the bench?

Can we expect this more moving forward? I prefer if he stayed down there to get away from the hacks in the box.

They didnt out manoeuvr jacobs in 2017 when he made the AA squad

Granted he has finished now if ROB has half the career of jacobs he would be pretty damn happy

Will he become at least afl compotent or not us the question that we dont know the answer to yet

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jacobs should have retired at the end of last year.

2017 he was brilliant and we could all.see.he was finished last year.

His games this year.have been embarrassing for a guy who was so brilliant merely two seasons ago. Smashing the "All Australian Ruckman" Paddy Ryder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very good post.
I caught Footy SA late last night. Insomnia-driven, not a fan of Kornes or Vince, but the latter had
Sloane
Brouch
Betts as Crows' best 3 in that order. I'd expect Umpires' Brownlow and Coaches' votes to be similar.
Sloane's a champion, a warrior; it was a masterstroke that the Crows retained him.

Have we heard Pyke say anything about being down on the bench?

Can we expect this more moving forward? I prefer if he stayed down there to get away from the hacks in the box.

Don’t forget that Matt hass sits down there though... so be careful what you wish for!..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did people not realise that?

I had no idea about eddies books... but it makes sense now looking at the website..

I thought when I saw the tattoo... geez, with the quality artists around these days, you’d think they’d be able to find someone that could make it look more real life.. but now I’ve just seen eddies website it makes sense because it’s a version of Eddie drawn like he’d be in his books..

I had no idea about eddies books... but it makes sense now looking at the website..

I thought when I saw the tattoo... geez, with the quality artists around these days, you’d think they’d be able to find someone that could make it look more real life.. but now I’ve just seen eddies website it makes sense because it’s a version of Eddie drawn like he’d be in his books..
haha... yeah, it'd be a bit weird for a brother in law to have your real face tattooed on his arse I would think! I recognised the little picture when they had it in the car and realised what they were doing.

Very good post.
I caught Footy SA late last night. Insomnia-driven, not a fan of Kornes or Vince, but the latter had
Sloane
Brouch
Betts as Crows' best 3 in that order. I'd expect Umpires' Brownlow and Coaches' votes to be similar.
Sloane's a champion, a warrior; it was a masterstroke that the Crows retained him.
Smith and Sloane were neck and neck for BOG. No way you can have a top 3 without Smithers

Greenwood

Laird:

Smith
Score 2.1

Knight

Murphy
Score 3.0
Tackles 5 ( 2 inside 50)

Betts
Disposal 14 @ 57%
Contested 11
Tackles 2 (1 inside 50)

Mackay
Score 0.0

Mrouch
Score 0.0

Sloane
Disposal 32 @66%
Score 0.0
Tackles 6

Brouch
disposal 36 @61%
Contested 15
Score 0.0
Pressure acts 19
Tackles 6 (1 inside 50)
Metres Gained 286m

CEY
Disposal 29 @76%
Contested 12
Tackles 8
TOG 96m

Something is funny with Betts' statistics.
He had 14 possessions at 57%, allegedly, yet kicked 6.3. If all scores counted, it would be 64%, so points aren't counted as effective disposals: is that right?

Something is funny with Betts' statistics.
He had 14 possessions at 57%, allegedly, yet kicked 6.3. If all scores counted, it would be 64%, so points aren't counted as effective disposals: is that right?
Correct

Very good post.
Sloane
Brouch

Nah. Look at the coaches' votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back