Analysis GBU vs Goldies

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good post.
I caught Footy SA late last night. Insomnia-driven, not a fan of Kornes or Vince, but the latter had
Sloane
Brouch
Betts as Crows' best 3 in that order. I'd expect Umpires' Brownlow and Coaches' votes to be similar.
Sloane's a champion, a warrior; it was a masterstroke that the Crows retained him.

Smith was clearly our best.
Brad Crouch was terrible, every time he got the ball looked to handball backwards /sideways to another guy in trouble, Efficiency was 61% but in reality ( i.e. ignoring that hand balling to a player with opposition ready to tackle the receiver called efficient) he was less that 30%. Many times he had a better opportunity to kick than handball. He gets the ball but doesnt have the brains to know the best option, dont know how you learn that though

What I find laughable is how people are saying how well Mackay played.

Mackay played well...by Mackay’s standards.

For some reason we have now put the bar soooo low for this guy that people carry on when he does three good things in a game. I will hand it to Mackay, his game was ok. If Sloane or Smith had dishes that up we’d call it average. Mackay did two or three really good things and that’s about it.

Why should a 200 gamer have such average expectations set for them?

For some reason we have now put the bar soooo low for this guy that people carry on when he does three good things in a game. I will hand it to Mackay, his game was ok. If Sloane or Smith had dishes that up we’d call it average. Mackay did two or three really good things and that’s about it.

Well he got in the coaches votes, so...

Speaking of Ricciuto - his ruddy laugh while he commentates - I hate it

When Eddie kicked GOTY I like Brad Johnson going off, it was genuine. Then you hear Roo's 'Haw Haw... Haw Haw' coming through afterwards. He laughs like that all the bloody time - Hate it

Roo should be banned from commentating at Crows' matches. However, I must say that I also burst out laughing uncontrollably at Eddie's brilliance, something I can't recall ever doing before. In fact, lately my only comments have been colourful swearwords at the SONY in every game.

MacKay was excellent. Credit where its due. Playing a much needed role now in the absence of Seedsman and now Milera.
He is the iron man survivor as others are always injured...

Hope he continues to get coaches votes.

Lukocious is ordinary.. was very quiet tonight and has been in most rounds so far..

Gold Coast should cut their loses and trade him to us at the end of the season for a 3rd round draft pick....🙂👍👌
Must have missed that bit where Luko was ordinary ... a very promising game from him and more to come . Watching live his running patterns were superb

I had the same feeling. Plenty round me complaining how s**t it was, I was fascinated.

Arm wrestle , loved our attitude to get in and do something instead of sweating off. Murphy started it
After watching kangas game live I was wrapped with the change of effort in 1st quarter and it proved correct

Liked some of Gibbs especially when he took risks with ball thru corridor , the speed of his kicking through the air frustrates me though , so slow and they hang . For a player of his talent Id like to see him punch it harder so it’s not so easily picked off

Dmac’s Risk taking with his running with the ball was superb as was his contest , more of that please

CEY was very good at centre clearances and added a point of difference to Sloane and crouches in there ... I’d like to see Rory out of the centre square more often and on the flanks

Must have missed that bit where Luko was ordinary ... a very promising game from him and more to come . Watching live his running patterns were superb
It was interesting reading a few of the comments on the Suns game day thread for an alternative perspective. They seemed to rate it as Luko's best game to date. There were a few other observations made I didn't expect .. from memory pages 14,15, 16 (easy skip a lot of posts)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/round-5-adelaide-crows-the-kieron-turner-cup.1215988/page-14

Not sure you watched how important he was , he really got us going . In fact Murphy and him were probably the 2 that got us going with their intent then Brodie and Eddie joined in

It was interesting reading a few of the comments on the Suns game day thread for an alternative perspective. They seemed to rate it as Luko's best game to date. There were a few other observations made I didn't expect .. from memory pages 14,15, 16 (easy skip a lot of posts)

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/round-5-adelaide-crows-the-kieron-turner-cup.1215988/page-14
Was by far his best game , you can’t compare a 196cm 18 yo in his first season to a complete mid like Walsh , it’s always going to be a slower burn

Some of his stuff was smooth bordering on sublime

Gibbs went to half back which freed Smith to push up a bit.

There was definitely more room I50.

Easy started deep but then got on his bike roaming pretty far and wide, then Tex rolled back deeper. Tex a far more dangerous proposition leading out into space as we all know.
No Jenkins definitely helped Tex as he got to play the deepest role which helped him come at the footy rather than running back to goal where he struggles

Looked a natural forward compared to JJ in the same role , timing of leads etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its incredible how simple Forward line play is when you break down what the good players/team have in common!

1) Forwards play in front
2) If you can't mark it, do whatever you can to bring it to ground
3) Small players be at feet of tall players
4) Lead to space

Play with those 4 concepts as your foundation and you generally score! Its been that way for over 100 years across every grade of football.
Gibbs went to half back which freed Smith to push up a bit.

There was definitely more room I50.

Easy started deep but then got on his bike roaming pretty far and wide, then Tex rolled back deeper. Tex a far more dangerous proposition leading out into space as we all know.

5.Forwards lead into different spots.

This breaks up the opposition defenders into defending more areas. Its easier to bring the ball to ground and create a stoppage or movement out if all the players are in the one spot

The game allows a stoppage after a mark. Its easier to mark against 1 or 2 than 4

Smith was clearly our best.
Brad Crouch was terrible, every time he got the ball looked to handball backwards /sideways to another guy in trouble, Efficiency was 61% but in reality ( i.e. ignoring that hand balling to a player with opposition ready to tackle the receiver called efficient) he was less that 30%. Many times he had a better opportunity to kick than handball. He gets the ball but doesnt have the brains to know the best option, dont know how you learn that though
Terrible..... gee the coaches have no idea do they.

Terrible..... gee the coaches have no idea do they.

Not understanding the Brouch hate and maybe not the three votes either. Got a lot of the ball but it wasn't effective with it but the guy is half a dozen games in from a year off, not every game is going to be great but the miles in his legs is going to be telling second half of the year.

Not understanding the Brouch hate and maybe not the three votes either. Got a lot of the ball but it wasn't effective with it but the guy is half a dozen games in from a year off, not every game is going to be great but the miles in his legs is going to be telling second half of the year.
Wins the hard ball along with Sloane and Greenwood. Matt Crouch seems to be playing wider of the contest this year to my eye not playing the in and role and playing more of a linking role with his innate ability to get to the right spots to receive the pill.

Wins the hard ball along with Sloane and Greenwood. Matt Crouch seems to be playing wider of the contest this year to my eye not playing the in and role and playing more of a linking role with his innate ability to get to the right spots to receive the pill.

I thought some of his contested work was really good ( hard to believe Bicks but I probably rate Brad higher than you do) when he got the ball on the weekend...wasn't his best as far as disposal, decision making. Think others are being over the top with their "dumb decision maker" calls, it was one game where he wasn't as effective, rather he saves the good game for this week, w in over the Saints and we get some momentum.

I thought some of his contested work was really good ( hard to believe Bicks but I probably rate Brad higher than you do) when he got the ball on the weekend...wasn't his best as far as disposal, decision making. Think others are being over the top with their "dumb decision maker" calls, it was one game where he wasn't as effective, rather he saves the good game for this week, w in over the Saints and we get some momentum.
Weird take from me is that watching the Geelong game I think we're better. Just to clarify, Geelong played a far better game and had a far better plan.

Moving on from that though, I still think apart from a flawed plan, a lot of our players still have a massive upside. I'd include both Crouch's in that. Sure they're back to getting plenty of the ball, on the odd occasion they're making poor decisions. I still think that they'll get better .. along with a few others

Sunday showed how much we’ve missed Greenwood, 18 disposals of which 16 were contested and we’ve been getting smashed in contested ball.

2 goals also shows what a threat he can be up forward.

This was his first game so he will only get better.

Sunday showed how much we’ve missed Greenwood, 18 disposals of which 16 were contested and we’ve been getting smashed in contested ball.

Sunday also showed the upside of Rob, he gets his leap right at the centre bounce and we start dominating centre clearances, another four or five games and he, with a bit more confidence can be a handy ruck.

He also always draws in 1-2 players when he gets involved, which frees up team mates. CEY did this well on the weekend also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back