GBU vs Gws

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re massively underrating Greene. Massively.

Would comfortably be in the best 1-10 players in every side in the competition.

That doesn't mean he's structurally important, as no one bases their side around a small forward. It is possible to be a very good player and yet not be important in a structural sense. A fantastic example is the player we sold last season, in Lever. As a loose intercept defender, you'll get no argument out of me that he is a gun. It's equally not really important to our success if he was to disappear due to he is allowed to succeed by other, more important players covering his weaknesses.

Similarly, small forwards are a weapon to compliment KPFs, but losing them won't see a side break down providing there is a replacement that can provide a similar level of defence (seeing that's the KPF's weakness they are covering). Would be the same if we lost Betts, we'd lose some offensive power, but the side itself would still work because Betts isn't a person we are reliant on to make the forward line tick (Tex/McGovern are).

Explain to me how 4 coaches now have continued to play him despite his glaring weaknesses? I don't get it. Is his dad a board member. Is he such an important player to our structure that the rest of us don't see.

I wish I had an answer to that. I have a guess though (and it's a very ******* scary guess if so):

The way I see it is we want to use/are using him as one of the poster boys for the culture we are trying to build/have. Mackay is probably one of, if not the hardest trainer the side has, the one who follows the coaches instruction the most, is probably the antithesis to anyone we'd consider a "dickhead", the one who is most desperate to make it. There is just one problem, he's horrible at football; horrible to the point that all of that effort is frankly wasted. Now if this is true, kudos to Mackay, and I do wish more players have that attitude (that's not a generational thing, just some people understand how to do everything possible to make it, some just think they are).

I would say some of, if not all of our coaches are so desperate to see him make it that we've begun to live in a fantasy world with him. One that sees him as a big contributor, and not the SANFL level footballer he is. The worst part is deep down we know he is absolutely out of his depth at an AFL level, but don't want to admit it; something that goes against everything that we're trying to (and wrongly I might add) build.

This club must move these players on - MacKay (we all know the history , and the future is thus written), Jenkins (the original one armed man from the Fugitive), Atkins ( has no contest about him), Hartigan (looks like the ultimate footballer but is a fumbling non-rebounder), Kelly (Hmmm, despair).
and these coaches - Whatisname the midfield coach.
Jenkins is an effective goal scoring forward when decent supply is coming in.

Hartigan is an effective defender when oppo supply is coming in dirty.

The rest I agree with.

Our problems are in the midfield and a chronic lack of leaders on the park.

That is not Mackay at all. Mackay hasn't shined since 2009, but for some reason we magically think he's a good player.
I think you misunderstood me. "Shines" was probably the wrong word.
I said I used to be a Mackay/Atkins fan, but they've now lost me. It took a while, admittedly :oops:.
Mackay played OK against the Bulldogs in the wet, running off half-back, but has scored no AFLCA votes this year which is testament to his effectiveness.

Last edited:
One thing Mackay always provides is effort. He always tries. Coaches love that.
Maybe; not sure if you're joking. A wise old puppet ;) once said:
"Do, or do not. There is no "try" ".
I can't remember a time where Mackay changed or influenced or won a game. No Brownlow votes, ever, I believe?
Mackay does, not :(. Let's face it; we've been waiting for him to do, for years.

I wonder why Talia wasn’t given the captaincy ahead of lynch?
Surely it will be him this week with lynch and Douglas out.
This, to me, is a VERY big question. Talia is a Victorian lad who has been a stalwart of the club. He's shown great leadership in the past, on and off the field. He's led our backline for years and has in the past been part of the leadership group.

Why was this guy left out of the leadership group? It's player driven but coach selected, is that right? Seems to me this stems from some internal ructions.

FWIW froggy, Matt Crouch is the last man standing in the leadership group. He'll be captain this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This, to me, is a VERY big question. Talia is a Victorian lad who has been a stalwart of the club. He's shown great leadership in the past, on and off the field. He's led our backline for years and has in the past been part of the leadership group.

Why was this guy left out of the leadership group? It's player driven but coach selected, is that right? Seems to me this stems from some internal ructions.

FWIW froggy, Matt Crouch is the last man standing in the leadership group. He'll be captain this week.
Yeah was forgetting about Matt.
Would love to know why Talia didn’t make the leadership group above lynch.

I think you misunderstood me. "Shines" was probably the wrong word.
I said I used to be a Mackay/Atkins fan, but they've now lost me. It took a while, admittedly :oops:.
Mackay played OK against the Bulldogs in the wet, running off half-back, but has scored no AFLCA votes this year which is testament to his effectiveness.

You just copped a little bit of frustration that I have with our continued Mackay selection.

The worst part is we've always had better options, by virtue of the incumbent being terrible.

What can you do in this situation?

Himmelberg isn't ready, Otten is a terrible option and Dear isn't going to come even close to an AFL footballer from what I've seen.

The forward line is ****** regardless of what we do until Tex is fit.

Its a funny situation. We seem to have good depth in all areas, and without being biased I believe we have good depth.... BUT! It seems that without Tex or Sloane, those areas of the park seem to fail miserably. They are the foundation guys and when they're not out there, the consequences seem to snowball down the food chain and affect the rest of the group more severely, than say if we were to lose a Jenkins/Greenwood.

We always play best when we have 22 contributors, but boy oh boy do we need those 2 back asap to really straighten us out.

Last edited:
That's the highlight of the game for me.

Murph, full pace, left foot round the body snap from outside 50, sails through. Amazing kick, most could not do it. He made it look easy.

I liked Murph, but now I'm much more bullish about his future than before.

A left-footed small forward who can kick 55m+ will be a very unique tool. Most smalls aren't a threat unless they're inside that 35m range.

He's got all the tools you want this Murphy kid. Need to persist for now with both him and Gooch.

Its a funny situation. We seem to have good depth in all areas, and without being biased I believe we have good depth.... BUT! It seems that without Tex or Sloane, those areas of the park seem to fail miserably. They are the foundation guys and when they're not out there, the consequences seem to snow ball down the food chain and effect the rest of the group more severely, than say if we were to lose a Jenkins/Greenwood.

We always play best when we have 22 contributors, but boy oh boy do we need those 2 back asap to really straighten us out.

McGovern’s arguably even more important than those two. But yes, all three would make a huge difference.

Milera to Half Back, Mackay to Left Right Out and Murphy to Half Forward.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Milera and Murphy with one tackle each, Betts with none. That is not good enough in the slightest. We need to persist but that's just crap from those guys and they need to lift in that area, or we need to make some structural changes that keeps them in the play more.

But as you said, Milera to HB for Mackay, Gallucci in at HF to work alongside Betts and Murph. Hampton in for Gibson (unless we choose to persist with Gibson, and if we do can we play him purely as a tagger ffs).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back