Review GBU vs the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw this on Twitter.....succinct
For those suggesting @Adelaide_FC was beaten by 2nd string GWS reserves, here are their draft numbers:
Cameron 17yo pd
Hopper 7
Coniglio 2
Griffen 3
Whitfield 1
Shiel 17yo pd
Kelly 2
Taranto 2
Haynes 7
Davis 10
Tomlinson 9
Kennedy 11ps
Buntine 5
Bonar 11
Insane quality. They can win definitely the flag this year - I think they're harder now than last year. We were not disgraced by them by any means. A fit team in 2019 and we should be back.

Thought it was a decent effort tonight.

On form they are prob no2 ranked team in the comp, playing at a venue where they had won their previous 8 straight, and where we rarely play.

Normally you'd hope there's enough wins in the bank that you can write off losses at venues like this, Blundstone or various other Bermuda Triangle type venues.

I am of a similar view. We can all find fault with the players. Lets say that Tex didn't turn up along with Jacobs, Atkins, Betts, Douglas Gooch and others but hell this was a game against a top 4 team and we lost by 14 points. Last week we beat Port, we lost to Melb by 13 points (another top 8 team), We beat Brisbane and they are no longer a push over, We beat the Cats. So our performances havent been too bad. In fact it gives me hope.

If we can get over some of the s**t that has been flying around, if we can get our players fit and reduce our injury toll, if we can keep the injury count low so we have our players playing together creating continuity with each other I see no reason why 2019 cant be a very strong year.

So we are out of the finals, we will get pick 7 in the draft, Want to see how the club handles the trade period and how we attempt to get the draft picks that we need, want to see how the clubs reacts to this season and if anyone will be held accountable and I want to see what they do about our ruck given that Jacobs is really struggling......just so much to look forward to.

Just finished watching the replay as the game was on at around 5am here in Brazil

We can’t keep making excuses!

Players have had poor preseasons and come back from it.

Players have had seasons with injuries in the middle and come back from it.

Players have had much worse mental hurdles than some preseason camp that has been blown way out of proportion, and come back from it. Coach being murdered for example.

Excuses are just cover ups.

I despise Mackay but at least he tried. Kicking a goal was a bonus seeing as he kicked at goal at around 20% last few years. But that should be him done. Can’t have those lack lustre drifting past type tackle attempts anymore. Opposition just sidestep him or brush him off like a fly. Liability.

Tex needs to close the book on 2018 now. Have surgeries or whatever is needed now. Work on speed related improvements. Those who are saying he is not a captain are crazy, he is. But he isn’t a player right now. I think he needs to either improve on field or play from the goal square more next season, and if that had no impact retire end of 2019 before he has to be pushed.

Jacobs plays like he has olive oil on his hands. Drops marks, fumbles, and has concrete boots. Can’t jump anymore. He should stay but as back up. Could Jenkins be number 1 Ruck? Bringing Fogarty into the forward line.

Betts is a worry. Those 2-3 things he did per game last year just aren’t happening. He is having “almost” games every week. The skill has gone...

Smith should be made an example of this week. Comes back and hasn’t missed a beat yet others can’t seem to play to half their potential or 2017 output.

Greenwood - Typical Greenwood again. His lack of spread really hurts against the best sides mind you.

Jenkins - Great battle with Davis and Co, did a great job aa he has done most of the year.

Crouch - Kicking was better than previous weeks, and he looks to have found his composure again.

Gibbs - 20 touches and 2 goals, but for me it was the fact he tried to lift when we were going rough that impressed me.

Gallucci - I love what he does, just didnt do enough of it.

Sloane - Worked his backside off and played a solid game. Been good since his return.

Walker - Suspended or left out, he needs to be fixed. If he doesn't train much in summer again strip him of the captaincy.

Mackay - Standard Mackay. Some good, some awful and always cracked in.

Brown - Had a decent night.

Betts - Looks tired after a long year for him.

Atkins - Bad night after a good few weeks.

Jacobs - I was always told if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all.

Cheney - Has arguably the best footy brain of any of our defenders, just lacks the size. Still, looks composed and assured.

Douglas - Destined for the Thommo/Otten SANFL role next year.

Lynch - His decision making ruins the rest of his game, which was actually pretty good.

CEY - Not good enough.

Laird - Super again, even after a tag.

Milera - Not as good as his last 2 weeks but still solid, love the fend off. Almost like he went looking for it.

Smith - Brilliant. No 2nd game back blues.

Doedee - Forced to play a bit taller and got caught out a bit, but his work in traffic has great again.

Keath - Much like above, did OK leading the defence but did get caught out at times.

Murphy - On fire early, but fell away a little bit. Definitely has a future with this club.

And I can do what exactly about those problems? Zip. Zero. Zilch. So...might as well have some fun in the meantime.
I must admit I got some enjoyment out of watching Port lose after the siren....again. At a time when we are feeling low imagine how the Port supporters are feeling. Sure they will all say "but we are playing finals" but for me if we are to have a down year this is the year to have it given the propects of a strong SA draft.

Not all that impressed by GWS. Turn on an ounce of pressure and they cant go with you. Unfortunately an ounce is all we can offer this year.

Long may Cameron reign. With a real coach they might actually become something other than a flashy hollow team of front runners.

Our forward line is a shambles, either through injury, poor work rate, mind melding Star Trek camp, poor coaching or poor forward entries, it is a ******* shambles

Even last year it was being posted that our forward line as a group is a downhill skiier. Great at turning an otherwise 5 goal win into a 12 goal but when it comes to dragging us across the line in an arm wrestle, they remove goals from us.

Just finished watching the replay as the game was on at around 5am here in Brazil

Players have had much worse mental hurdles than some preseason camp that has been blown way out of proportion, and come back from it. Coach being murdered for example.

I despise Mackay but at least he tried. Kicking a goal was a bonus seeing as he kicked at goal at around 20% last few years. But that should be him done. Can’t have those lack lustre drifting past type tackle attempts anymore. Opposition just sidestep him or brush him off like a fly. Liability.

Tex needs to close the book on 2018 now. Have surgeries or whatever is needed now. Work on speed related improvements. Those who are saying he is not a captain are crazy, he is. But he isn’t a player right now. I think he needs to either improve on field or play from the goal square more next season, and if that had no impact retire end of 2019 before he has to be pushed.

Jacobs plays like he has olive oil on his hands. Drops marks, fumbles, and has concrete boots. Can’t jump anymore. He should stay but as back up. Could Jenkins be number 1 Ruck? Bringing Fogarty into the forward line.

Betts is a worry. Those 2-3 things he did per game last year just aren’t happening. He is having “almost” games every week. The skill has gone...

Smith should be made an example of this week. Comes back and hasn’t missed a beat yet others can’t seem to play to half their potential or 2017 output.

At the moment many commentators are talking about the players not wanting to take responsibility when kicking for goal and rather than kicking a drop punt for goal they are using the runaround banana (or should I say the checkside punt). By using the banana kick it somehow lessens expectation on the player and therefore gives them an out or should I say it gives them an excuse for not kicking the goal.

Has the AFC given our players an out or an excuse for not trying 100% in all games. I mean how could we possibly expect our players to put in a 100% effort after what they went through in the Gold Coast. Is this how the players justify their efforts to themself. I find it strange that we can put in a super human effort to knock off Port in the showdown but then we cant bring that same intensity to so many of our other games. Dont tell me that it doesn't happen because its easy to see when the players are up and about.

Bring on the new year!

Not all that impressed by GWS. Turn on an ounce of pressure and they cant go with you. Unfortunately an ounce is all we can offer this year.

Long may Cameron reign. With a real coach they might actually become something other than a flashy hollow team of front runners.
Not true at all.

They took everything we threw at them and lost players along the way and still had class enough to win. They've got some very very handy players missing too.

What you say may have been true of them in years gone by, I have been critical of them too, but not this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this on Twitter.....succinct
For those suggesting @Adelaide_FC was beaten by 2nd string GWS reserves, here are their draft numbers:
Cameron 17yo pd
Hopper 7
Coniglio 2
Griffen 3
Whitfield 1
Shiel 17yo pd
Kelly 2
Taranto 2
Haynes 7
Davis 10
Tomlinson 9
Kennedy 11ps
Buntine 5
Bonar 11
Good job to get within 14 points after such a scumbag season, then.
god help us if they ever truly meet their potential as a team.
Imagine what Clarko could do with that talent! *shudder*

He is a good inside mid and Aboriginal. That ticks two key boxes to be a Port player. They might want him.....

He is still good depth. When two of MCrouch, Sloaney or Greenwood are out he can be an option. Should never have played tonight.

It worked last week because out of 22 players Port had 5 natural inside mids in the team.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You're not suggesting our coaches should consider opponent's strengths and weaknesses when selecting our side? Seems a strange way to go about it.

Well, with no more excuses for players to lay blame on it's pretty simple.

They were a group that simply wouldn't put in the effort to give a full measure of play every time out.

They had stretches of nearly every game that they were disinterested, unwilling to provide effort and ultimately resulted in loss after loss.

There needs to be a real genuine soul searching by the organization this offseason. Guys that readily looked to an offseason for an excuse for poor form should be hustled out the damn door quickly.

It's on the players this season and to excuse it any other way is simply disingenuous.

Huh????

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 31 bounces

Atkins 27 wing
Sloane 24
Mackay 22 wing
M.Crouch 21
Gibbs 19 (10i, 9w)
Douglas 14
CEY 13
Greenwood 11
Lynch 4 wing

Rucks:
Jacobs 26
Jenkins 5

Breakdown by Halves

1st Half - 15 Bounces

Atkins 14 wing
Mackay 13 wing
Sloane 10
M.Crouch 9
Greenwood 8
Gibbs 8 (5i, 3w)
CEY 7
Douglas 6

2nd Half - 16 Bounces

Sloane 14
Atkins 13 wing
M.Crouch 12
Gibbs 11 (6w, 5i)
Mackay 9 wing
Douglas 8
CEY 6
Lynch 4 wing
Greenwood 3

Notes:
- Your normal set-up (both wings starting off the back of the square) was used for the majority of the game. From late in the 3rd (roughly 7mins remaining), wings reverted to starting on their opponents - this structure stayed in place for the remainder of the game
- The most ever wing starts I've recorded for Gibbs (either club)
- First time Mackay has finished in your top 6 mids in analysed games since Rd 22, 2017
- Greenwood didn't start inside at all in the 3rd
- First time Atkins has topped your list in analysed games since Rd 10
- First time Douglas has finished in your top 6 mids in analysed games since Rd 13

So the next player who has twins gets 2 months in the SANFL? If it's turned eddie into a borderline selection, what will it do to a mid-range player. Rory struggles severely with a tag, even with a single baby, I guess he goes to the 2's as well.
Or, the club provides them with a nanny?

I think that is an expectation that is very unreasonable. You put your hand up every single game because this game is fickle and depending on where you are in the depth chart, being honest could quite easily kill your career. After all you don't give a sucker a break under any circumstance.

Selecting injured players or players not ready to go is 110% on our coaches. No one else.

If the player adhered to Walsh's team first mantra then they wouldn't be putting their hand up. We have a very selfish player culture.

Two words: Roger. Federer. Two sets of twins. And I'll say it again... TWO SETS OF TWINS. This did not change his hunger for the game at all. In fact he experienced a massive resurgence after becoming a father of four. He's also 6 years older than Eddie.

I don't think anyone's questioning that at some point Eddie's form will drop, it's just that he doesn't look like he's interested anymore.

Twins FFS, twins :rolleyes:

At this point in time it's Himmelberg I'd be getting games into ahead of Fogarty in the remaining 2 games, I honestly feel he can make an impact at AFL level next year if given the opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back