Review GBU vs the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats for the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 31 bounces

Atkins 27 wing
Sloane 24
Mackay 22 wing
M.Crouch 21
Gibbs 19 (10i, 9w)
Douglas 14
CEY 13
Greenwood 11
Lynch 4 wing

Rucks:
Jacobs 26
Jenkins 5

Breakdown by Halves

1st Half - 15 Bounces

Atkins 14 wing
Mackay 13 wing
Sloane 10
M.Crouch 9
Greenwood 8
Gibbs 8 (5i, 3w)
CEY 7
Douglas 6

2nd Half - 16 Bounces

Sloane 14
Atkins 13 wing
M.Crouch 12
Gibbs 11 (6w, 5i)
Mackay 9 wing
Douglas 8
CEY 6
Lynch 4 wing
Greenwood 3

Notes:
- Your normal set-up (both wings starting off the back of the square) was used for the majority of the game. From late in the 3rd (roughly 7mins remaining), wings reverted to starting on their opponents - this structure stayed in place for the remainder of the game
- The most ever wing starts I've recorded for Gibbs (either club)
- First time Mackay has finished in your top 6 mids in analysed games since Rd 22, 2017
- Greenwood didn't start inside at all in the 3rd
- First time Atkins has topped your list in analysed games since Rd 10
- First time Douglas has finished in your top 6 mids in analysed games since Rd 13
Love these stats thanks mate

Even last year it was being posted that our forward line as a group is a downhill skiier. Great at turning an otherwise 5 goal win into a 12 goal but when it comes to dragging us across the line in an arm wrestle, they remove goals from us.

Maybe. It is a bit of a cop-out to call the forward line a bunch of downhill skiers last year, they performed to a high standard in 80% of the games they played last year. Downhill skiers turn up to half or less of the time and bash teams underneath them, like Port for example. Our forward line turned up plenty and belted sides in contention with us, of course, we did downhill ski against Port but you can only play who you are fixtured to.

In the games we lost last year, we were belted in the midfield, beaten in defence and rarely ever bothered to change up what we were doing, we back ourselves in to do the same thing, only harder. The one game we did do something different was against Collingwood at half time, making our defense faster, more mobile which allowed us to rebound faster. This season though, we have had no idea what to do with the ball as we, I think, have not had the fitness base to run to space which was the game plan, fast break, accurate kicking to split sides apart. We have been stuck with the Poholke entry into our forward 50 this year, which is basically the same was we exit our D50, a long bomb to a contest. There are no leading patterns, there is no decisive kick through the middle of the ground to open up the fat side of the ground for set shots, 30-40 metres out.

No doubt, this comes back to that cluster * of an idiot Burton, and Hass who have destroyed players by not saying "get an operation, no, you have to do 4 weeks training and a week in the magoos before you can play in the firsts. Our season was shot by round 7 when we were so determined to get injured players in the side we didn't even stop to think "should we"?

The last two weeks, in particular, has just been shocking into our F50, barely SANFL standard...on a wet day. The coaching group and especially tht big nosed idiot should be hauled over the coals for this...but they probably won't

Not true at all.

They took everything we threw at them and lost players along the way and still had class enough to win. They've got some very very handy players missing too.

What you say may have been true of them in years gone by, I have been critical of them too, but not this year
Really? Our own ineptitude gave them that. The brief moments we looked like the us of last year they had nothing.

Really? Our own ineptitude gave them that. The brief moments we looked like the us of last year they had nothing.
Still think they're a pretty handy side

Still think they're a pretty handy side
Exactly right. And I reckon handy is all they'll be under Cameron. Look at that team and try and tell me they shouldn't be tearing the competition to shreds

You reckon it's 100% poor management. AmericanCrow reckons it's on the players.
Really, isn't it a blend of both?

The players were set up to fail, and they did.

Sure, they have to take some responsibility, but I’m not one of those people who believe mindset, belief, confidence and attitude is something that operates in a vacuum.

The off field staff screwed us, the players did their best to overcome it, but it was too big of a hurdle to climb. When they realized that, the performances changed accordingly.

Even if you ignore Collective Mind*, we had way, way too many injuries to be genuinely competitive this year; and we clearly were not a fit side, at any time - even the players who weren’t consistently injured.

I don’t blame the players for this wasted season - I sympathize with them; all of their efforts, hard work, commitment and sacrifices were pissed away by the incompetence of the off field team.

Five extra weeks of preseason training compared to last off season.

Think of the number of players we'll be able to injure now? More rope to hang ourselves.

How many players will hold off on surgery, start the preseason, then realise in January that they need the surgery after all?
More than those that realize they need surgery at the end of this year

Sad to say, I have to agree. Something has happened/changed. He still shows that Eddie razzle-dazzle but not as often, as if he's lost his hunger or motivation.

I honestly think he lost the spark when Charlie decided to leave..If somehow, we can manage to snag Rankine or Rozee than that might come back.. Winning tends to helps a fair bit as well though. Oh and not being injured, that helps as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the player adhered to Walsh's team first mantra then they wouldn't be putting their hand up. We have a very selfish player culture.

No. They still would, and they did in those 10-12 weeks. That "unselfish" mantra is purely in the realm of fantasy, nothing more.

You simply do not give up your spot in any circumstance unless you are extremely confident you are in a clubs mid to long term plans. That is to be expected as this is not a profession with any job security whatsoever.

There is no blame possible for the players here, they are simply adhering to a cut throat system. All blame has to then be on the coaches who have the power to say "no, I think you need a week off to freshen up".

Good
- After a bit of a scare in the second quarter we are still on track for Pick 8.
- We started the third quarter playing like crap but managed to get back into the game.
- Doedee, Milera, Murphy, Gallucci and Keath will all be best 22 next year.
- Brodie Smith, stunning effort less that 11 months after doing an ACL (now put him on ice for 2019).
- Mrouch, Sloane, Gibbs, JJ, Laird battled hard against the odds.
- Lynchy, much better than last week.

Bad
- Tex, Sauce, Eddie, Greenwood. IMHO they have been crushed by the cumulative effect of injuries and/or a lack of decent pre-season. Cue in Rack time.
- The RAT, seemed to have decided he does not perform if the temperature is below 5 degrees
- CEY, BNM. Thanks for the memories.

Ugly
- We have to tank against the Kangas to maximise our draft possibilities. Losing to Carlton may be a bit too obvious.

Last edited:
Or, the club provides them with a nanny?
... which I suggested above. How do you know the club did not at least offer to help?

If not, Eddie's on, what $650K (more?). They can well afford at least daily assistance.
Eddie started the year badly, which I'd suggest has Collective w***ers stamp on it. He had 7 and 6 possessions in the first 2 rounds, pre-twins, no goals.

I don’t blame the players for this wasted season - I sympathize with them; all of their efforts, hard work, commitment and sacrifices were pissed away by the incompetence of the off field team.
I blame:
--- Hass, Culprit #!. Who's responsible for his appointment, Burton? Sack Hass before he does any more damage, regardless of cost, because what it's cost the playing group is worth much more.
--- Collective Weirdos and their weird CEO.
--- selectors, for their Gold Passes to you-know-who. The message to the players was "You've failed". They fought their way to a GF, ffs.
--- Pyke, for not putting his foot down and demanding his own Assistants.
(For all the above, like you, I sympathise with the players.)

--- CEY, for refusing to run both ways, for not chasing.
--- Atkins, for his aversion to tackling.
--- Mackay, for having the experience and fitness to be a game changer but never is. Never. In 200 games, he has never been BoG. His best is good, only, and not often enough.
--- I50 suppliers, mostly mids, whose supply was dismal. Those high, floaty kicks are a defender's wet dream. A ball coming in waist-to-head high to a lead is indefensible.
--- the forwards, who struggled to take contested marks in a pack (although Gov's screamer was a memorable standout, mostly because it was so rare).
--- Sauce, for not saying "I need a break" and for his ineffective ruckwork. He cannot expect our inside mids to get clean ball off his feet.
There's more, but I'm too tired.

Responsibility falls on the Coaching Staff and players.
Our best 22, if fit and playing together relatively continuously, can beat anyone in 2019.
But if we retain all of Hass, Campo, Hart, Clarke and don't cut free the players who coast, we're cactus.

We lost this game in the second quarter. We had all the play for 10-15 minutes with no reward, then that hack kick from Langdon set up a goal, which completely changed the momentum of the game. We should have been 5-6 goals up at that point but we ended up limping to half time lucky to be in front. Exactly like the Melbourne game a couple of weeks ago.

We lost this game in the second quarter. We had all the play for 10-15 minutes with no reward, then that hack kick from Langdon set up a goal, which completely changed the momentum of the game. We should have been 5-6 goals up at that point but we ended up limping to half time lucky to be in front. Exactly like the Melbourne game a couple of weeks ago.

And the Port game - fell over the line because we couldn’t convert our domination to the scoreboard.

--- the forwards, who struggled to take contested marks in a pack (although Gov's screamer was a memorable standout, mostly because it was so rare).

“Gov’s screamer”?

What game did you watch? Did you just copy and paste these notes from a previous game?

We lost this game in the second quarter. We had all the play for 10-15 minutes with no reward, then that hack kick from Langdon set up a goal, which completely changed the momentum of the game. ...
Third quarter. They kept us scoreless for the first 15 minutes (Q3) by which time they'd seized control. End of second quarter momentum rarely continues after the half-time break during which both teams re-set. They did it better than us.
This puzzles me:
In a half-time interview, Cameron said to Ch7 that he wanted more run off half-back and more play-on in general, which is exactly what they did. Ricciuto would have seen that. I'd have thought he'd send down a sneaky little message to our change rooms, to give our forwards and mids some direction for defensive pressure around their half-back area. If not him, then somebody.
Apparently not. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back