Review GBU vs the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Two words: Roger. Federer. Two sets of twins. And I'll say it again... TWO SETS OF TWINS. This did not change his hunger for the game at all. In fact he experienced a massive resurgence after becoming a father of four. He's also 6 years older than Eddie.

I don't think anyone's questioning that at some point Eddie's form will drop, it's just that he doesn't look like he's interested anymore.
Federer also struggled in those years. From the births in 2009 to 2015 he won 2 finals . His performance dropped significantly (from his average performance)

Plus I think he might have a few more $$ than Eddie

This was exactly the same last week where port had four biggest runners. Just seems more evidence, along with third/fourth quartet dropoffs, that our fitness *ups have screwed the season. The players have done well to be as competitive as they have given this. Screenshot_2018-08-12-11-35-36.png

Who is responsible for the players’ mindset, skill, recruitment, motivation, preparation, recovery and strategy?
GOOD question :thumbsu:.
Mindset --- players/coaches, mostly players. Some players need firing up. Others are self-motivating.
skill --- both. Teaching skills falls on coaches. Practising and perfecting them, players.
Recruitment --- both. Yep, players have to get their skills level up so that they're noticed by recruiters. Astute recruitment (eg Sloane, Laird, Walker and others) is a real asset.
motivation --- both (obviously). Good coaches always inspire and add to motivation, and team spirit. Hardwick (whom I do not like at all) has got the best out his mob.
Preparation --- both. Effective coaching takes into account player prep. The Crows used Thommo and Gibson in this role.
Recovery --- both. Recovery doesn't come intuitively, especially early in careers. Players need to be coached as to how to recover, then do it thoroughly.
Strategy --- both, mostly coaching. Look at Milera whose tackle-breaking and evasive skills are elite. They're a part of him; strategies he's worked out for himself. Then look at our run and spread and beautiful overlapping footy last year. That was coaching, mostly Pyke.

This was exactly the same last week where port had four biggest runners. Just seems more evidence, along with third/fourth quartet dropoffs, that our fitness ****ups have screwed the season. The players have done well to be as competitive as they have given this.View attachment 541942
Bloody Taranto and Whitfield seemed to be everywhere last night.
Either Whitfield is clairvoyant or we looked to kick to his general area, way too often.

Betts has had a long year on and off the field, he ain't done just yet.

I actually thought we were OK last night. We dont have that extra gear this year but we fought hard all night and found a way to compete with a few players being total non-entities

Defensively we looked ok, midfield was great at times and I have to disagree with those critical of the forwards. Structure wise we looked fine, but when the key to all of it is a guy who looks more cooked that an 18hr rib roast, the structure falls down.

Flying home from Sydney this morning so I will do my player review later, but all in all I didnt think we were awful, they are just better.

Injuries might cruel them.
Betts isn't completely fit & the 2 hamstring injuries have interrupted his season. He doesn't have full confidence in his body, which is why he if he is further than 30M out he is looking to hand off.

Hopefully we can get him & the team right for next season with a change of fitness & conditioning staff.

I'm not sure if it has been discussed, but there was two incredibly bizarre score reviews held down our end during the game that just made no sense.

One was Chamberlain calling a ball touched, which it clearly was, and then reviewing his own call. The review took about 7 seconds.

The second was a point that had clearly gone through the points being reviewed to see if it had gone out on the full. It was the weirdest review I've ever seen. Completely unnecessary. Again took about 7 seconds.

So why? I've never seen anything like it.

Were the umpires trying to make a point to us after last week?

Was it a stalling tactic to let the other team set up?

The last one in particular was pathetic.
No, it's just Razor Ray wanting the spotlight in primetime.

He should be fined for time wasting!

Federer also struggled in those years. From the births in 2009 to 2015 he won 2 finals . His performance dropped significantly (from his average performance)

Plus I think he might have a few more $$ than Eddie
His performance was already sliding before he had kids, with Djokovic and Nadal catching up to him before this, so having kids wasn't the cause. He's still a father of four kids and experienced his huge resurgence while raising them and travelling the world. Eddie is clearly making enough money to afford daycare or someone to help around the house. 500k a year will easily take care of that.

We lack a bit of class.
Made me think. Class, as in Burgoyne class? Rioli?
We have a lot of skillful players.

I reckon we lack a LOT of mongrel. Nice blokes, nice footy. I don't mean someone like Atkins who avoids physical contact/tackling. I mean pack-crashing, hard bumps, niggling blokes who are niggling our players.
Unsociable footy, like the hawks and Brisbane during their hat tricks.

His performance was already sliding before he had kids, with Djokovic and Nadal catching up to him before this, so having kids wasn't the cause. He's still a father of four kids and experienced his huge resurgence while raising them and travelling the world. Eddie is clearly making enough money to afford daycare or someone to help around the house. 500k a year will easily take care of that.
Hang on. First you raise Federer as an example of a player shining after having twins and now you are dismissing that same form?? Come on be consistent

I think the players have been given a free pass. They were strong enough to handle the murder of a coach mid-season. This year they were allowed to excuse poor play for some off-season nonsense by a great part of the fanbase.

Just my opinion that they should be held far more culpable that's all.
Hell yeah, u r so right. Even if the couches screwed everyone up, there should still be effort, hunger and passion for the game. Pride in their own performance
Ive seen it on and off all year, it just proves they can do it when they want. The players need to be accountable as much as the coaches.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on. First you raise Federer as an example of a player shining after having twins and now you are dismissing that same form?? Come on be consistent
I'm not dismissing that form, I'm saying that even if your claim of a form slump is to be accepted it isn't correlated with him having twins. He scraped in to win Wimbledon in 2007 in five sets against Nadal (who it could be argued should have won the match) and then lost Wimbledon in 2008 for the first time since 2003. He had also failed to win the Australian Open in 2008 after winning in 2004, 2006 and 2007.

If anything having kids improved his record. After his first set of twins were born in early 2009 he won his first French Open, completing his career grand slam and equaling Sampras' grand slam record. He then backed it up by winning the 2009 Wimbledon title. The final was the longest men's singles final in Grand Slam history (in terms of the number of games played) so there was clearly no lack of hunger or endurance from Federer. Immediately winning 2 out of 4 grand slams after having twins and following a slump the previous year (relatively speaking) does not back up your claim that having newborn twins negatively affected his game. He also made the final of the US Open in 2009 and won two other titles, finishing the year ranked world number one.

Any slump you are claiming between 2009-2015 cannot be blamed on having children. In fact having newborns seemed to have the opposite effect on Federer.

Good post. The team often give the appearance of being 'content'. We often are content to keep the game slow. We often play like we expect the opposition to falter away. What is totally frustrating is what part our coaching plays in all this.
I don't think it's contentment. It's either instruction or lack of confidence.

?

How can you disagree with an obviously truthful statement?

There were many games, most maybe, where the players didn't put in 4 quarters of effort.

It was a feature of our year.

As much as Burton and Hass suck you can't just absolve the players for their attitude and lack of application. It's equally on them.

Effort is from fitness, much like structures and skills are primarily derived from fitness. Everything we've messed up this season has come from us being hopelessly unfit, from not being able to go with teams when they go up a gear, to how poor our ball movement is when we're having good period. They were battered mentally from the camp (And I can't blame them from losing belief as that camp said to the world that our coaching staff had no faith in them) and physically from a terrible preseason/injuries.

If we get the preseason right, and these results continue to happen then the players are to blame. Right now there is enough external stuff that's been ****ed up that they're absolved from it because there is enough there to say all of this is expected.

Saw this on Twitter.....succinct
For those suggesting @Adelaide_FC was beaten by 2nd string GWS reserves, here are their draft numbers:
Cameron 17yo pd
Hopper 7
Coniglio 2
Griffen 3
Whitfield 1
Shiel 17yo pd
Kelly 2
Taranto 2
Haynes 7
Davis 10
Tomlinson 9
Kennedy 11ps
Buntine 5
Bonar 11

Saw this on Twitter.....succinct
For those suggesting @Adelaide_FC was beaten by 2nd string GWS reserves, here are their draft numbers:
Cameron 17yo pd
Hopper 7
Coniglio 2
Griffen 3
Whitfield 1
Shiel 17yo pd
Kelly 2
Taranto 2
Haynes 7
Davis 10
Tomlinson 9
Kennedy 11ps
Buntine 5
Bonar 11

Yep, that side is insanely talented, god help us if they ever truly meet their potential as a team.

Oh, and how many hospital hand passes from Douglas?

He was terrible.

Plus on so many ocassions when he kicks the ball forward its to a pack of players rather than looking for someone. I understand pressure but he does this a lot. Having said that when he does look up he can put the ball right onto a players chest. Just doesnt do that enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back