Review GBU vs Wobbles - Rd 22

slice

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2008
Malbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doesn't seem like we have a clear plan with a number of our players

Himmelberg - potential position at AFL level is fwd/ruck but hardly rucked in SANFL due to us having O'Brien and Hunter

Smith - defender, forward, centre square mid, wingman? Season has been a motley hybrid of all of them. Inside mid only after a game is gone and our midfield embarrassed.

Milera - see Smith. Young player given inconsistent role has inconsistent season. What is our plan with him?

M Crouch, B Crouch, Sloane - doesn't seem like that combo can go head-to-head and beat the best midfields in the competition. What other strings to their bow are they working on? Apart from Sloane tagger I mean... We've decided inside mid or nothing with all of them and haven't explored anything else.

This is spot on. They’ve used Smith and Milera as Swiss Army knives. Smith has been able to handle it okay because he’s played a lot footy but ffs, Milera is still so young in his career.

We’ve cooked his decision making and natural instinct - which was one of his greatest strengths. He doesn’t know what game plan he’s playing to and what his role is supposed to be.

mcattack

All Australian
Apr 14, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Jones went into the middle in the last quarter when we were 12 goals down.

I also saw poor old Eddie chasing their mids a few times as they were streaming forward (while ours were jogging in a group in the centre square).
Ed is a quality player but I'd rather see him chasing down ball in the forward lines. It does smack of either mids are just not fit enough or they dont believe in Pyke/Campo game plan. My vote is on both, with the exception of CEY who looked fit and had a break out half a season. Id put money on it that our preseason wasn't hard enough. Probably overcorrected after hamstring awareness and collective minds.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bloody disappointed in myself. Beginning of the week I had plans to back the pies 40 plus which from memory were paying $9. I was umming and arring all week 1 to 39 or 40 plus? What did I do? I didn't put a bloody bet on at all and tipped the crows. Moral of the story is always stick with your gut instinct. Gamble responsibly.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Burn everything

it was a pleasure to burn.

A few questions.

Is Fog our leading goalkicker this year? No, it goes Walker, Betts, Jenkins, Murphy (!!!), Lynch...

Do you reckon Brett Burton watches Brisbane and reckons he had something to do with it? Yes

Does Kate Ellis ever ask herself what the fu** she’s doing on a football club board? Nope

Does any media personality listed as a Crows ambassador ever criticize the club in a public forum, or is that left to Stephen Rowe every time? No, Yes

Does anyone doing Ben Hart’s performance review keep a straight face? Yes, in a frozen-mask-of-terror kind of way

Does Campo really give a fu**? Yes, but not how we think

Does Matthew Clarke think his calling is anything other than coaching amateurs? Great question.

Does Don Pyke think any of the aforementioned people won’t completely send his coaching career down the s**tter? No, hopefully.

Do any Crows fans still care? Some of them, yeah,

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I saw Fogarty in defence once or twice when the game was done
He seemed to be following the ball up the ground a fair bit yesterday. I didn't mind it actually. It wouldn't surprise me if we try to develop Fogarty to play limited minutes in the middle. Obviously he's a natural forward but the club should know we need a few more big bodies in our midfield mix.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are a lot of very disappointed and frustrated people with the Adelaide football club at the moment and rightfully so, it is very obvious there must be changes and not just a couple many but it must be done in the right order. We all know the fish rots at the head first, then work your way down from there

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Roo kept banging on about changes needed after HT. None came

He mentioned the fact there were zero changes made after a diabolical first half. Surely he realises that a sweep is needed? Or is he too self serving?

Such an amazing player, i don't want his legacy tarnished.....But it's heading that way
I'll leave my final judgement until after the next few weeks

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bloody disappointed in myself. Beginning of the week I had plans to back the pies 40 plus which from memory were paying $9. I was umming and arring all week 1 to 39 or 40 plus? What did I do? I didn't put a bloody bet on at all and tipped the crows. Moral of the story is always stick with your gut instinct. Gamble responsibly.

Nah, gamble irresponsibly. Life is too short.

Blah blah blah, you can play mental gymnastics which ever way you want. It’s turned out to be a shocker

Oh the trade is an absolute shocker, and we could have been tighter (as said, forgiving seeing we were in a grand final, had an excess of firsts and needed more midfield power). Them the risks of wanting A grade players (and I'd have Gibbs at A- at Carlton) to join your club, a lot of the time it's situation they are in that makes them good.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Oh the trade is an absolute shocker. Them the risks of wanting A grade talent to join your club.
The lesson learned there is to be pragmatic while trading. The club had wanted Gibbs for a long time but they waited too long and didn't realise that by the time the trade was available, he wasn't worth it anymore. They should have moved on but they let their egos do the decision making and this is the result.

The lesson learned there is to be pragmatic while trading. The club had wanted Gibbs for a long time but they waited too long and didn't realise that by the time the trade was available, he wasn't worth it anymore. They should have moved on but they let their egos do the decision making and this is the result.

Gibbs had a very good 2017 so no, not the reasoning.

The risk here is bringing a player into a different system and expectations. Not all do well, and we found one who couldn't adapt to that change. Mind you the other question is how much us falling apart in 2018 hurt Gibbs as well seeing he was a 3rd-4th midfielder and a lack of performance from us would hurt him.

The big problem with football. Luck plays a pretty big role in becoming good. Luck in falling in the right environment that is conducive of you being successful, and luck in that you are in a good, well oiled machine to sponge off (or be a really good inside midfielder).

Last edited:

dani_giuls

All Australian
Apr 17, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would staff have performance reviews? Every corporation I have ever worked has performance reviews every 6months..we even have anonymous surveys for our managers....surely issues with staff would come out in this.

And, other than jobs for mates, how could staff with continuous negative reviews (if they exist) and obvious under-performing stay in their roles? Some of our guys in lead roles have racked up long service leave for essentially nothing -in the brutal industry that is Professional Sport.

It just baffles me..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can someone list off the positional changes we made during yesterday’s game?
I was only half watching yesterday but in the presser Don mentions they made some moves after those 3 quick goals in the 3rd. So when we were 36 points down was when they reacted

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
As I posted last night, trading him becomes extremely difficult due to his and a few other contracted players were are trying to move on. Thi would be how much the crows could pay towards their current contract and the new club would cover the rest.

Jenkins still have 2 years after this year. Lets say we pay $300,000 per year, that’s $600,000
Gibbs still has 2 years remaining on good coin. Lets say we pony up $300,000 per year to move him on $600,000
Betts has 1 year remaining on good coin. Lets say we pay $200,000
Lynch has 2 years remaining. $200,000 x 2 = $400,000

$600,000 (Jenkins)
$600,000 (Gibbs)
$400,000 (Lynch)
$200,000 (Betts)

Thats $1,800,000 over 2 years salary cap loss.

We could offer Betts a pay out at a reduced cost but I doubt it. However, I can not see any club taking the entire contract of Jenkins, Gibbs or Lynch. To remove all 4, we will have a very tight salary cap squeeze over the next 2 years just by the removal of a few player.

I think Lynch and Gibbs stay due to this fact.
Well **** them. If it's going to be that expensive to get rid of them, just keep them on the list as SANFL/depth only players.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is spot on. They’ve used Smith and Milera as Swiss Army knives. Smith has been able to handle it okay because he’s played a lot footy but ffs, Milera is still so young in his career.

We’ve cooked his decision making and natural instinct - which was one of his greatest strengths. He doesn’t know what game plan he’s playing to and what his role is supposed to be.
Have completely ruined Milera. Last season's aggression, overhead marking, elusive powering out of trouble, have all but disappeared. Why? I doubt it's because Milera decided to regress.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Gibbs had a very good 2017 so no, not the reasoning.

The risk here is bringing a player into a different system and expectations. Not all do well, and we found one who couldn't adapt to that change. Mind you the other question is how much us falling apart in 2018 hurt Gibbs as well seeing he was a 3rd-4th midfielder and a lack of performance from us would hurt him.

The big problem with football. Luck plays a pretty big role in becoming good.
When you trade in guys that age they're always a risky proposition. I've lost count of how many AFL players have fallen off a cliff approaching thirty. It happens all the time. I don't think his 2017 season is all that relevant anyway. We already had our sights set on Gibbs at that point. Even if he turned in a poor season in 2017, we still would have gone for him.

When you trade in guys that age they're always a risky proposition. I've lost count of how many AFL players have fallen off a cliff approaching thirty. It happens all the time. I don't think his 2017 season is all that relevant anyway. We already had our sights set on Gibbs at that point. Even if he turned in a poor season in 2017, we still would have gone for him.

You trade in anyone, and its a risky proposition. After all, environment, and structures play such a vital role in someone being competent in this game.

His 2017 matters heaps because of the price (because Gibbs was playing well enough to be considered on the bottom part of the A grade band). Gibbs falls apart in 2017 and we have a reclamation project on our hands which is much cheaper.

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well **** them. If it's going to be that expensive to get rid of them, just keep them on the list as SANFL/depth only players.

Do you trust the selectors not to do the ame thing as this year?

Start out by paying the kids and by round 14 we have a full blow senior dads army team in again?

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You trade in anyone, and its a risky proposition.

His 2017 matters heaps because of the price (because Gibbs was playing well enough to be considered on the bottom part of the A grade band). Gibbs falls apart in 2017 and we have a reclamation project on our hands which is much cheaper.
I don't really care about how Carlton viewed Gibbs 2017 season. All that mattered was our own club's judgment of Gibbs. They failed to consider his age as a problem and overpaid heavily. If it had been any other player they would have baulked at the trade but this was Gibbs, a player they'd been trying to get for years. Ego definitely played a part there especially considering how they missed out him the year before. Got to get those PR victories right?

Worth pointing out Adelaide overrated the state of their own list pretty badly too. You don't start going into "final piece of the puzzle" thinking unless your whiffing your own farts.

Back