GC & Carlton Given Priority Access to State League Players

Should GC and Carlton be given priority access to state league players?

• Yes

Votes: 73 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 91 55.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I think you severally overestimate the intelligence level of this mob, most of them seem to think pick 12 wouldn't have been enough they wanted pick 1 lol. Town full of collingwood supporters, just ignore them/wave and smile.

Most Crows supporters I know agree. Some will argue his worth more similar to Bryce. One MM has won best and fairest & few more individual accolades to his name then yes pick 12. Right now his a 10-13 disposal player a game.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I think you severally overestimate the intelligence level of this mob, most of them seem to think pick 12 wouldn't have been enough they wanted pick 1 lol. Town full of collingwood supporters, just ignore them/wave and smile.
If you're going to insult our intelligence, the least you could do is learn how to spell.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
You just delisted Barlow?
Difference between a 24 - 26 year old with some good years ahead of them to a 31 year old who was rather slow and found himself behind Swallow, Lyons, Miller and Brodie who all have a good amount of years ahead of them and are quite well developed.

You seem pretty salty.
The AFL is giving them a hand out that is of value and the Carlton poster just bitches and intimates their isnt any quality in the state leagues, when in reality they would beaten by a few SANFL or WAFL teams.

We wouldn't be beaten by a few state league teams. Honestly, get a clue.

As for the players Adelaide were missing, have you had a look at Carlton's injury list the whole season?

Now if you've finished carrying on about how s**t Carlton are, I think the topic is about assistance for Carlton and Gold Coast.

The McGovern thread needs you.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's a good idea, gives them something without overly compromising the draft and you're more likely to get some one who can contribute straight away.

The next Kelly, Smith, Barlow, Stratton etc could be very handy.

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack lukosius played a handful of games at SANFL level. We pick him Gilham. You got any problems with our selection Gil ? Your rules .......

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Heard from a few journos it could be 2 players each for Carlton and GC? Seems it's not finalised yet though so no one knows for sure.

But here are just some mature aged players - get 2 of these players for example and it's a huge leg up.

Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart, Liam Ryan, Bailey Fritsch, Mitch Hannan, Ben Stratton, Ben Brown, Isaac Smith, Sam Menegola, Adam Saad, Michael Barlow, Dayne Zorko, Nic Newman, Jeremy McGovern, Mitch McGovern, Kane Lambert, Brody mihocek etc.

Some big names there.

Tushay

All Australian
Apr 11, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Apparently... according to the very salty Sam McClure in the last hour or so (who is Carlton’s mouthpiece)... the Mitch McGovern negotiations have gone too far now and Carlton can’t back out, they’ve committed, so they are going to now have to find another way to get Adelaide what they want..

Looks like it could get costly for the blues..

Tough luck troll. The bigger likelihood is that he'll go to another club, or end up at Carlton for a lower pick than you'd hoped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL won't be happy until they've completely screwed state leagues into the ground, if they haven't done so already. One of these days the AFL will do something that actually benefits the health of the game in this country ...... for a nice change.

As for clubs like Gold Coast and Carlton, stop behaving like homeless people and do something to help yourself for a change.
we did, we went to the draft

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Heard from a few journos it could be 2 players each for Carlton and GC? Seems it's not finalised yet though so no one knows for sure.

But here are just some mature aged players - get 2 of these players for example and it's a huge leg up.

Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart, Liam Ryan, Bailey Fritsch, Mitch Hannan, Ben Stratton, Ben Brown, Isaac Smith, Sam Menegola, Adam Saad, Michael Barlow, Dayne Zorko, Nic Newman, Jeremy McGovern, Mitch McGovern, Kane Lambert, Brody mihocek etc.

Some big names there.

I would assume it would just end up like the mini drafts when GWS started up. Someone would just approach and say "we'll give our first if you pick up and on trade player x."

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I would assume it would just end up like the mini drafts when GWS started up. Someone would just approach and say "we'll give our first if you pick up and on trade player x."

Yes i assume so...though i haven't heard of any of this years state league players even being rated in the second round, unlike last year with Liam Ryan and Tim Kelly.

Best i'd imagine we'd get is equivalent of a third rounder.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes i assume so...though i haven't heard of any of this years state league players even being rated in the second round, unlike last year with Liam Ryan and Tim Kelly.

Best i'd imagine we'd get is equivalent of a third rounder.
Pick 31 Bailey Fritsch still second Rd right . You never know what recruiters want from other team.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
The AFL won't be happy until they've completely screwed state leagues into the ground, if they haven't done so already. One of these days the AFL will do something that actually benefits the health of the game in this country ...... for a nice change.

As for clubs like Gold Coast and Carlton, stop behaving like homeless people and do something to help yourself for a change.
I would argue that this will not affect the amount of people taken from the state leagues, this won't result in more people being taken from the state leagues. Either you are good enough for the top flight or you aren't.

That is just my take on it though, could be completely wrong.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I don’t really care that we didn’t get a PP. Whatever.

But find it ******* laughable that the AFL has thrown this to the Gold Coast and Carlton as the alternative like the state leagues are a gold mine of AFL level talent.

Boy has Tim Kelly really messed with the AFL’s heads. There are not a heap of gun AFL players ready to be picked up from these leagues. In reality it will just lead to Carlton and Gold Coast wasting more time on blokes who aren’t up to it, like Carlton did with Cam O’Shea who was a VFL player.

There is a reason the majority of these blokes are playing VFL, SANFL etc. 18 clubs are not horrible at picking AFL level talent, therefore leaving the state leagues stacked with options.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

But find it ******* laughable that the AFL has thrown this to the Gold Coast and Carlton as the alternative like the state leagues are a gold mine of AFL level talent.

Boy has Tim Kelly really messed with the AFL’s heads. There are not a heap of gun AFL players ready to be picked up from these leagues. In reality it will just lead to Carlton and Gold Coast wasting more time on blokes who aren’t up to it, like Carlton did with Cam O’Shea who was a VFL player.

There is a reason the majority of these blokes are playing VFL, SANFL etc. 18 clubs are not horrible at picking AFL level talent, therefore leaving the state leagues stacked with options.

You're seriously underrating the opportunity given here. Have a look at the mature age recruits over the past two seasons:

2016: English, Long, Stewart, Hannan, Rioli, Luke Ryan

2017: T.Kelly, Liam Ryan, Fritsch, Langdon, Guelfi

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
They just take up a regular list spot it seems.

With our list numbers at present and the picks we have (2, presumably 3, 17, 26,29)

we could just take these guys with 38 and 41 anyway

BPikkers

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Well I suppose they were of the view that the blues are sticking to their plan of continually going to the draft and are an inexperienced team (which they keep telling us), and that they need access to more mature players so this is the compromise.

It’s probably the ‘fairest’ way so as not to disadvantage teams like the Saints

Back